Philosophers Club 10/18/2004 10:20 PM CDT
Come one! Come all! Assuming you assume you exist, to the greatest show I assume exists.

Dear Seekers of Something,

First unofficial meeting of the unofficial philosophers club is going to be held Tuesday the 26th at 9 PM eastern. The times of the meetings may change as we get more of a feel for who wishes to attend the meetings and the best times for all. This is not an elitist venture; anyone is welcome to attend from any guild even those without guilds. Unlike many great philosophers of the past we don?t hold anything against women and as such they are welcome to attend.

We will meet at

The topics of the next gathering will generally be announced the week or weeks beforehand, this will give you time to prepare if you wish. It is not required for you to be versed in the argument to argue for or against the point. New outlooks are far more refreshing then the reiteration of canon material. No one will ever be forced to say they are right or they are wrong, you can argue for either side of any argument even if you?re arguing against the side that you support.

The topic for the first meeting will be an argument over whether or not we should be a philosophy club. This argument will likely never reach an ending; we will however continue to hold meetings. We can pick up the argument at any time or set it aside for more interesting arguments.

If you have any questions feel free to AIM MidKnightLuffy or E-mail PaBloW6969@aol.com (yes it?s corny but it was cooler way back in the day when I made it, I promise)

ADMINISTRIVIA

Many of the topics will hold specific terms but don?t feel intimidated by large names to simple things. You can at any moment in time ask Southridge or many others present the meaning of a term and it will be explained in easier to understand vernacular. Do not feel you must be silent because someone busts out with a technical sounding large word. (They could be spouting gibberish!)

Epistemology will not be the only field of philosophy we delve into; even clerics can bring theology to the table, as long as its faith through logic not faith through faith. (If you don?t understand this feel free to ask the difference)

Fuzzy and circular logic are fine as they are very common forms of logic, we will however probably not spend prolonged amount of times on arguments with the only premises consisting of such logic. We will however not silence a question or argument simple because it is not ?cultured? or well defined.

Metaphysics is open to discussion! If you haven?t noticed from some of the (x) comments it is not just open it is welcomed.

Ethics and personal philosophies are a touchy subject, we will not be held accountable for hurt feelings. We still ask that you attend but if you feel the conversation is turning towards something you wish not to hear do not feel required to stay. For leaving you will neither lose your place in the club which technically doesn?t exist nor esteem in the eyes of your peers. (If such peers even exist.)

Order will have to be kept, because anarchy doesn?t work in the form of clubs. The anarchist fan club can?t be a real club or it can?t be full of real anarchists. (Yes this is an argument and if you want we can discuss it at a meeting) The meetings will be watched over and not presided over, there will be no one present at the meeting that holds rank over any one else in the eyes of the unclub. (Yes I made that word up) However we can?t all scream our side of the argument at the same time so if you wish to be present we will have to ask you to remain orderly.

The first step is telling Southridge the argument you wish to argue at which point it will either be publicly or privately discussed amongst the members which argument will be the main argument for the next week.

If your argument is selected you can provide a short outline of the argument, and then state your side. During anytime after the meeting starts you can whisper to Southridge you wish to speak next, a list will be made and in such a fashion we can keep order.

The problem with this is if you have a direct argument with philosopher_02 and you can?t speak till _07 it is hard to keep the ball on track. Make note of what _02 said and refresh the memory of your peers before launching into your counter argument. If you feel it?s redundant feel free to simply commence your argument as soon as it?s your turn to speak.

If this method doesn?t work we will go back to the free for all method, which seems unfair seeing how fast I and others I?m aware of type. It is also unfair to the argument if we hear 10 people for it and then only one against it. The order of speakers may not be exactly who whispers first but one for and then one against when the situation allows for it.

We may or may not allow the person presenting the argument to the one who selects who speaks. This method however allows the argument to become heavily biased, and we will probably stick with a pre-selected person to keep track of who is going to speak when.

The person who picks speakers does not however get to choose topics. If the person who selects speakers appears to be ?playing favorites? with who speaks a new person will be selected to take his place. The position comes with no power, and all decisions vital to the club will be made with a vote from the club.

No one will be thumped, mental blasted or otherwise disabled from speaking. We will however ask that you please not go against the rules and just speak anytime some quip comes to mind. (Unless it?s really funny?and short)

Moon mages are supposed to be philosophers, yet not all philosophers are moon mages nor are all moon mages philosophers. The club will probably be heavily populated with moon mages but all guilds are welcome and will hold equal weight.

All rules are subject to change as no rules are officially rules; they are polite suggestions for civilized discourse.

Please try to withhold bias on an argument from the person who presents it. If they don?t speak proper or apply heavy dialect don?t discard the argument. Many large chunks of gold have been found just lying around; from there the gold rush ensues.

If you have any questions feel free to AIM MidKnightLuffy or E-mail PaBloW6969@aol.com (yes it?s corny but it was cooler way back in the day when I made it, I promise)

This letter was not revised, I am positive you can find plenty of syntax errors and other editing problems. The philosophy of editing will not be discussed, unless someone wishes to argue for it in the club.

Sincerely,
Nomad Southridge Spar?tans

~-_-~ Philosophy is the art of blowing up balloons and trying to fly away. While having your feet cemented in concrete and trying to pop your neighbors and friends balloons, and all the while defending your own balloons from whatever they can throw. ~-_-~