What shield template do you prefer 11/30/2016 12:08 PM CST
I assume most if not all of you are using a small shield... which template do you find works best for you? The targe for more protection, or the small shield for less hindrance?
Re: What shield template do you prefer 11/30/2016 12:14 PM CST
I use a lumium sipar.

Mazrian
Re: What shield template do you prefer 11/30/2016 12:43 PM CST
>>I use a lumium sipar.

Same.
Re: What shield template do you prefer 11/30/2016 01:33 PM CST
Oh, very interesting. Aren't leather small shields strictly better than metal small shields? Metal small shields sacrifice maximum protection for a higher minimum protection, weight more, and are more hindering. Am I missing something?
Re: What shield template do you prefer 11/30/2016 01:35 PM CST
The sipar is a unique template that generally allows for least hindrance prior to a diamond-hide small shield. Why that is, couldn't tell you, but have a look at the arm-worn appraisal:

You are certain that it imposes insignificant (1/15) maneuvering hindrance.

This shield is small in size.

Your experience with shields allows a better appraisal of the protection capabilities.

You are certain that the sipar offers dismal (3/26) to fair (8/26) protection.

You are certain that it could do:
no (0/26) puncture damage
no (0/26) slice damage
fair (5/26) impact damage
no (0/26) fire damage
no (0/26) cold damage
no (0/26) electric damage

You are certain that the sipar is inadequately (4/17) balanced and is dismally (2/17) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the round sipar is rather reinforced against damage (11/18), and is in good condition (80-89%).

The round sipar is made with metal.
It appears that the round sipar can be worn on the left arm.
You estimate that the round sipar weighs around 40 stones.
You are certain that the round sipar is worth exactly 128935 Lirums.
Re: What shield template do you prefer 11/30/2016 01:40 PM CST

The sipar performs identically to a gryphon hide small shield but it weights more, costs more, and is more durable.
Re: What shield template do you prefer 11/30/2016 01:55 PM CST
Hmm, I can't login for awhile to check, but I'm pretty sure my azure-scale small shield is something like 2/11 for defense and 2 on hindrance.

I suppose what I am taking away right now, is that at least for armor terts, minimizing hindrance on your shield trumps other factors?
Re: What shield template do you prefer 11/30/2016 02:04 PM CST
>>I suppose what I am taking away right now, is that at least for armor terts, minimizing hindrance on your shield trumps other factors?

That is generally how people go. I imagine there's a point where your hindrance could be higher with having only a marginal tax on your defenses, but since we do not see hard numbers, armor terts tend to lead towards least hindrance possible on shields.
Re: What shield template do you prefer 11/30/2016 02:04 PM CST
This has always confused me and I have different people tell me different things.

For example. A targe vs a small shield. My targe appraises 1 hindrance higher but when I wear either and appraise my armor I get the same overall hindrance (where it says considering all the armor and shields you're wearing).

It seems you train down shield hindrance anyway?
Re: What shield template do you prefer 11/30/2016 02:08 PM CST
>>It seems you train down shield hindrance anyway?

No. It's because hindrance is a range. Using my sipar as an example, it says Insignificant (1/15) hindrance. But that is actually a range of hindrance that amounts to the field of Insignificant. When all of that range is applied together in whatever calculation amounts at total hindrance, that is also a range. In short, your targe IS actually increasing your hindrance, but not by enough to bump you up to whatever your next hindrance level is.

This is why diamond-hide small shields are very sought after by armor terts, its one of the few ways for them to lower their appraised hindrance.
Re: What shield template do you prefer 11/30/2016 04:22 PM CST
Lennon and Rekon both did a good bit of testing with small shields a while back. And until Rekon bought a one of a kind auction shield, he used the small diamondhide shield. I believe Lennon still uses the same. So it should tell you something when two good sized paladins would prefer a small shield due to hinderance rather than larger.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: What shield template do you prefer 11/30/2016 10:03 PM CST
For what it's worth, most players go with fully mixed armor suits, which means that lowest hindrance beats everything else, basically.
Re: What shield template do you prefer 11/30/2016 10:15 PM CST
<For what it's worth, most players go with fully mixed armor suits, which means that lowest hindrance beats everything else, basically.

Yeah, that's what I do. I get 6 overall hindrance (where it says considering all the armor and shields). I'm guessing that's a point each for mixing? The thing is if I use a piece with higher hindrance that doesn't go up, it's still 6 hindrance. I'm armor secondary (ranger). I mean I haven't tested with the most hindering armor there is and plate is only a mask I use but still I can put on some pretty high hindrance pieces and it just stays at 6.

I'm not sure I'll ever really wrap my head around it. It seems with enough skill it trains off but I have no idea what I'm talking about.