Heavy Attacks and Magic? 05/23/2016 12:40 PM CDT
Hello. I'm pretty new to DR and have a question. On the forums I've read mention of Heavy TM spells and Heavy/Alpha attacks. But I have been unable to find out any actually information on what these are. Could anyone shed some light on this? Or point me to the right place to read up on it?

Thanks
Re: Heavy Attacks and Magic? 05/23/2016 12:56 PM CDT
Without knowing any background you have in other online games:

Heavy TM: conceptually this is a very large damage spell, typically with secondary effects, that is on a 5+ minute cooldown.

Alpha strike: This is similar, but not limited to target magic. Backstab is the most common example. The first backstab has a damage and accuracy boost. Subsequent backstabs do not have this. I'm a bit fuzzy on DR's logic here, I can't remember the cool down on alpha strike.

Diminshing returns: this primarily effects debilitation spells and stun effects. For example, mental blast or barbarian roars; once you effect a target with a specific effect (let's use stun), every time you effect that target with a similar ability (stun) the stun lasts less time.

So if you mental blast a target, it might last 10 seconds. If you hit them again as soon as it wears off, it might last 8. This decrease will continue until you get almost no effect. Note that the numbers are ENTIRELY MADE UP. It's not 10 seconds or a 20% penalty each time.
Re: Heavy Attacks and Magic? 05/23/2016 01:00 PM CDT
Awesome. Thanks for the info. I was afraid it was a special way of casting a typical spell or using a normal ability. IE cast Fire Shards heavy. Or feint heavy. But like I said I couldn't find any detailed info on it.

Thanks again.
Re: Heavy Attacks and Magic? 05/23/2016 01:00 PM CDT
They're currently only over on the test server. They are harder hitting spells that have a cool down of a couple minutes before being able to cast any other heavy TM spell. Dragon's Breath is the warrior mage one, iirc, if you want to pop over to test to try it out.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Heavy Attacks and Magic? 05/23/2016 02:53 PM CDT

> They're currently only over on the test server. They are harder hitting spells that have a cool down of a couple minutes before being able to cast any other heavy TM spell. Dragon's Breath is the warrior mage one, iirc, if you want to pop over to test to try it out.

Do you remember if that's per spell or overall? As in, could a warrior mage spit a heavy TM fireball (DB) and then follow up with a heavy TM ice lance?
Re: Heavy Attacks and Magic? 05/23/2016 03:03 PM CDT
It was overall, last time I was poking around on Test.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Heavy Attacks and Magic? 05/23/2016 03:09 PM CDT
>>Do you remember if that's per spell or overall? As in, could a warrior mage spit a heavy TM fireball (DB) and then follow up with a heavy TM ice lance?

Yeah, it's overall.

Mazrian
Re: Heavy Attacks and Magic? 05/24/2016 03:30 PM CDT
>I can't remember the cool down on alpha strike.

I believe it's 30 seconds.
Re: Heavy Attacks and Magic? 05/24/2016 03:31 PM CDT
>I can't remember the cool down on alpha strike.

I believe it's 30 seconds.
Re: Heavy Attacks and Magic? 05/24/2016 05:57 PM CDT
>The first successful backstab that does damage will do an increased amount of damage, after which it will return to the standard backstab damage for 30 seconds.

Backstab is 30, according to the wiki, so we'll go with that.

Does anyone know of non-BS alpha strike moves? I know there were some but can't remember them.
Re: Heavy Attacks and Magic? 05/24/2016 07:22 PM CDT
I know EE has an alpha component with it's nerve damage, but I think it's linked to the casting of the spell and not a timer. The GMs didn't give many details other than it had one.
Re: Heavy Attacks and Magic? 05/24/2016 08:42 PM CDT
It's Mental Blast that has the alpha strike nerve damage.

Mazrian
Re: Heavy Attacks and Magic? 05/25/2016 05:20 PM CDT
>>It's Mental Blast that has the alpha strike nerve damage.

EE has it also. The GMs mentioned possibly turning it down during that huge thread when it was released. If the forums weren't being so horrible right now I would try to dig it up, but I'm getting 502 Bad Gateway errors everytime I try to look at anything that's not a new post (and even on some new posts). It also seems that thread didn't make it onto E-pedia, or I just suck at looking things up on there.

I also saw it when I tested it on my lil WM when it was on preview. The nerve damage stacks quickly within the first ~45 seconds and then tapers off afterwards. Over a 10 minute test 75% of the nerve damage applied came within the first minute.
Re: Heavy Attacks and Magic? 05/25/2016 07:37 PM CDT
EE's nerve damage is based on the target's existing nerve damage and success of the stat contest. It will always do more nerve damage if you succeed on the stat contest.

MB's nerve damage is based on success of the stat contest. Recasts will only do more nerve damage if you get a better success on the stat contest.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.