Elemental weapons; Ignite; and Mark of Arhat? 07/04/2015 12:10 AM CDT

mark of arhat adds fire damage to any elemental attack
a fiery scimitar changes the primary off stat of the stone weapon to fire
ignite changes the weapon to secondary weapon damage of fire

does this make a super duper elemental fire weapon or just is overkill?

or would it be better to have
mark of arhat up to add fire damage
with an icy javelin with ignite cast apon it

Does ignite show up in the attack messaging or will the messaging of the elemental weapon appear? I have seen the mark of arhat messaging as the element enchancement barier is breeched.

spell check.....

sadly i am just going to have to try it for myself
Re: Elemental weapons; Ignite; and Mark of Arhat? 07/04/2015 12:20 AM CDT
Hi there,

Near as I can tell based on some folks I've helped, Mark of arhat - Deals fire damage each time target is struck by any source of elemental damage, and it teaches debilitation magic. So while the target is still alive, every time you hit it with any spell that does elemental damage or an elemental weapon or a sword with ignite csat on it. You do extra damage to the target and learn additional debilitation skill. So with ignite on your sword each attack or spell you cast at the target will take extra damage and you will learn debilitation skill.

Ranger Pfanston and his soggy pup.
Re: Elemental weapons; Ignite; and Mark of Arhat? 07/04/2015 12:39 AM CDT

so an elemental weapon with the proper infusion (ice,fire,electric) will activate mark of arhat?
so ignite is now somewhat obsolete? beyond adding a fire damage to the second weapon stat of an elemental weapon?
Re: Elemental weapons; Ignite; and Mark of Arhat? 07/04/2015 01:46 AM CDT
>so ignite is now somewhat obsolete? beyond adding a fire damage to the second weapon stat of an elemental weapon?

Ignite does not exactly work this way. Ignite adds additional fire damage to the weapon based on some fraction of the primary physical damage stat. An elemental weapon simply converts all of the highest physical damage into elemental damage so an elemental weapon doesn't do any more damage, it just encounters less armor. Ignite is adding additional damage.

Since an elemental weapon has had its highest physical stat converted entirely into elemental damage, casting ignite is still adding additional damage to your weapon, but less fire damage than it would on a completely mundane weapon. EG: So you summon a maul, it does big impact damage. You cast ignite on the maul, it adds moderate fire damage on top of the usual damage. You convert the maul to a fiery maul, it does zero impact damage and big fire damage and moderate piercing. You cast ignite on the fiery maul and add small additional fire damage based on the moderate piercing damage. Phew that sounds more confusing than helpful!

You're still getting extra damage from ignite on an elemental weapon, but not as much extra damage.

Your mileage may vary depending on the armor of your opponent.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Elemental weapons; Ignite; and Mark of Arhat? 07/04/2015 02:21 AM CDT
thank you for the responses

*shape icy javelin to a can of worms*

my apologies. now down the rabbit hole.
Re: Elemental weapons; Ignite; and Mark of Arhat? 07/04/2015 10:29 AM CDT
ignite on a fire elemental weapon is overkill and not going to net you much gain
ignite on a stone/ice/electric elemental weapon is smart

ignite doesn't show up in attack messaging like how elemental weapons work - an ignited icy weapon should give ice messaging

the only time you'll ever see that ignite is working is: random room atmo from spell, app/focusing it, or activating MOA with it

*MOA only teaches debil on the initial cast, not when it flares from being activated when it takes elemental damage. Also, the amount of damage dealt by MOA varies by the color of the mark you made (white-blue being the best)
Re: Elemental weapons; Ignite; and Mark of Arhat? 07/06/2015 09:10 AM CDT
Ignite's main benefit is dealing that extra elemental damage on EVERY attack, rather than showing an affinity for certain types of attacks. Because of this, you get the best bang for your buck out of using ignite on a small, fast weapon. Even though the amount of damage added is smaller, the smaller roundtimes give you better returns.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -
Re: Elemental weapons; Ignite; and Mark of Arhat? 07/06/2015 12:17 PM CDT
Disagree!

Use MOA(cast while advancing) and go big with a tyrium greatsword or something and break damage caps for 2-3 hit kills at level! bless does fun things too if it'll work!

Faster to blast through the initial 10% vitality no damage buffer, stun them with a second shot if it doesn't just cut them in half, then face and start engaging your next victim before delivering death blow to the initial one. Usually works.

2-3 draws from pole range, very quick, very safe.

Re: Elemental weapons; Ignite; and Mark of Arhat? 07/06/2015 12:43 PM CDT
You get the same increase from MoA regardless of the weapon used as far as I can tell, but yeah, assuming you can hit equal RT on the greatsword, it will be better.

I drop stuff at level with MoA in about 7s of jabs with ignite.

Re: Elemental weapons; Ignite; and Mark of Arhat? 07/06/2015 01:01 PM CDT
Yup MOA damage is the same (by color), and always use ignite!

Might as well be about the same total RT with random RT and whiffs - K tried to balance it that way.

Mod fire is the best I get with ignite, unless someone has a god-like weapon that can check if it goes higher?
Re: Elemental weapons; Ignite; and Mark of Arhat? 07/07/2015 07:29 AM CDT
I get fair on my rapier.