Yet another post about armor. 03/03/2013 04:27 PM CST
I'm really torn, and really looking for advice on this. This isn't about the viability of plate in 3.0 for a Warrior Mage, I know it's likely a viable choice, but I'm torn on what might be the best choice, or really at which point am I sacrificing performance for style. I don't have enough armor to test this all on my own to see what works best personally, but I still want to make a decent decision.

So here's what I'm torn between:

A) Full plate setup
B) Full Brigandine setup
C) Full (heavy) chain setup

For each:
1) With crafted armor (steel), what hindrance level can I expect with about 200 ranks, or really just in general? (Appraisals would be much appreciated by anyone with these setups.)
2) What hindrance level is considered acceptable in 3.0? (This is a big void for me, I really don't know what to expect. Is Rather hindered too high? Should I be aiming for moderately and down? etc.)

I guess what I don't know is how a full setup of crafted brigandine currently performs at all, or how a full set up crafted Heavy Chain performs. I've always worn plate mixed with other armors and now I'm curious what other setups could look like. So anyone who can share some appraisals from different armor setups would go a great length towards helping me, and I'm sure others decide.

Thanks,

-Dekarion
Re: Yet another post about armor. 03/03/2013 08:03 PM CST
An easier follow up question, what's the lowest hindrance level anyone has gotten as a tert in a plate-only setup?

-Dekarion
Re: Yet another post about armor. 03/03/2013 10:19 PM CST
Kanton Gear chain- mail bala and hauberk, and chain gloves with 625 Chain armor. (the gloves are same app but with good puncutre protect instead of very good)

- If I were to start over, I'd probably grab brigantine, just because I don't use stealth too much; but I like the protection of heavy chain with the low hinderance(i'm guessing brig can be worked down somewhat close). Still not sure if I should stick with this or go with the much heavier damite.

You feel certain that a scratched mail hauberk patched with mismatched links appears to impose high (9/15) maneuvering hindrance and moderate (7/15) stealth hindrance, offering:
very good (6/15) protection and very great (12/18) damage absorption for puncture attacks.
very good (6/15) protection and very great (12/18) damage absorption for slice attacks.
good (5/15) protection and very great (12/18) damage absorption for impact attacks.
very good (6/15) protection and very great (12/18) damage absorption for fire attacks.
very good (6/15) protection and very great (12/18) damage absorption for cold attacks.
good (5/15) protection and very great (12/18) damage absorption for electrical attacks.

If you were only wearing a scratched mail hauberk patched with mismatched links your maneuvering would be lightly (4/14) hindered and your stealth would be fairly (5/14) hindered.
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently fairly (5/14) hindered and your stealth is somewhat (6/14) hindered.

You are certain that the scratched hauberk is extremely resistant to damage (15/18), and is practically in mint condition (90-97%).

The scratched hauberk is made with metal.
The scratched hauberk is fairly flexible.
You are certain that the scratched hauberk weighs exactly 450 stones.
You think it is likely that the scratched hauberk is worth exactly 3037500 kronars.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

Re: Yet another post about armor. 03/04/2013 09:19 AM CST

I've mentioned this in most other armor threads so far, but I personally have had much more success with a high-hinderance high-protection plate setup rather than a lower-hinderance lower-protection plate setup.

With my lightened lumium plate setup, I wanna say I was somewhat hindered (don't carry it anymore to double check). I'm highly hindered in my damite plate. I'm extremely/greatly hindered in my current setup (chain gloves, and swap between a brig/leather helm).

Shield Usage: 604 38% mind lock (34/34) Light Armor: 447 91% thinking (5/34)
Chain Armor: 444 27% mind lock (34/34) Brigandine: 303 79% nearly locked (33/34)
Plate Armor: 611 89% mind lock (34/34) Defending: 658 00% mind lock (34/34)

All of your armor:

a coarse sealed cowl
a covellite ceremonial shield
some lumium mail gloves
some damite full plate embellished with gold leaf around the edges

You feel certain that some damite full plate embellished with gold leaf around the edges appears to impose overwhelming (14/15) maneuvering hindrance and insane (15/15) stealth hindrance, offering:
great (9/15) protection and incredible (15/18) damage absorption for puncture attacks.
very great (10/15) protection and incredible (15/18) damage absorption for slice attacks.
very high (8/15) protection and incredible (15/18) damage absorption for impact attacks.
great (9/15) protection and incredible (15/18) damage absorption for fire attacks.
great (9/15) protection and incredible (15/18) damage absorption for cold attacks.
fair (3/15) protection and moderate (6/18) damage absorption for electrical attacks.

If you were only wearing some damite full plate embellished with gold leaf around the edges your maneuvering would be rather (8/14) hindered and your stealth would be very (9/14) hindered.
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently greatly (11/14) hindered and your stealth is highly (10/14) hindered.

---

That being said, I think there's a full plate template from Kanton's that might be able to get you to lightly hindered in plate. I think I recall somebody talking about this.

As for straight up HC steel armor, I can't speak with certainty.

Starting over, I think I'd still try and train multiple armors, but I think that currently chain might have the largest variety (Very light for stealths to very protective/hindering). If you're not doing stealths, I'd probably be looking at some light brigandine to keep hinderance down.
Re: Yet another post about armor. 03/04/2013 09:48 AM CST
I have about 200 less skill than Firekast in my full plate setup and I do not mix armor types but my results match his. In just my plate, which is the ludicrously heavy and hindering gnome quest stuff plus forged damite great helm and gauntlets with a tanned shalswar targe, I am at 10/14 overall hindrance. Hunting at level in lumium chain vs my plate at similar skill, I am surviving better in the plate by a large margin.

- Starlear -
Re: Yet another post about armor. 03/07/2013 06:22 PM CST
>With my lightened lumium plate setup, I wanna say I was somewhat hindered (don't carry it anymore to double check).

What was your lumium plate setup? Is it possible for you to share the appraisals? It would be awesome if you could!

>That being said, I think there's a full plate template from Kanton's that might be able to get you to lightly hindered in plate. I think I recall somebody talking about this.

Does anyone know anything else about this?

-Dekarion
Re: Yet another post about armor. 03/07/2013 08:33 PM CST
Kanton plate- the rest of the pieces should look similiar.

The full plate is plate armor.

The plate looks like it offers protection for the following areas:

right arm
left arm
right leg
left leg
chest
abdomen
back

You feel certain that a pockmarked bronze full plate appears to impose great (11/15) maneuvering hindrance and insane (15/15) stealth hindrance, offering:
very high (8/15) protection and exceptional (14/18) damage absorption for puncture attacks.
great (9/15) protection and exceptional (14/18) damage absorption for slice attacks.
very good (6/15) protection and exceptional (14/18) damage absorption for impact attacks.
very high (8/15) protection and exceptional (14/18) damage absorption for fire attacks.
very high (8/15) protection and exceptional (14/18) damage absorption for cold attacks.
high (7/15) protection and exceptional (14/18) damage absorption for electrical attacks.

If you were only wearing a pockmarked bronze full plate you could expect your maneuvering to be rather (8/14) hindered and your stealth to be extremely (12/14) hindered.

You are certain that the full plate is extremely resistant to damage (15/18), and are in pristine condition (98-100%).

The full plate is made with metal.
You are certain that the full plate weighs exactly 500 stones.
You are certain that the full plate is worth exactly 33750 kronars.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

Re: Yet another post about armor. 03/09/2013 05:17 AM CST
I believe this stuff is on the fields drop list, so you'll have to run the quest and get lucky if you want it, and hope someone else doesn't want it too

Pants.
Re: Yet another post about armor. 03/19/2013 04:23 AM CDT

I thought the armor in the Kanton fields was tweaked down after the first few runs? I remember seeing some of it afterwards, and it was like standard forged stuff rather than the amazing app stuff.

My young warmie wears full plate, has the kanton armor shown above, with a damite spanglehelm and damite gauntlets, and as yet, at around 50th circle, still has never died once. If you want to stand there hour after hour, swinging loads of different weapons and casting spells, go for the plate.