Weapon Selection Advice 01/10/2013 10:31 AM CST
I come to you, my fellow Warrior Mages, for some advice in training and weapon selection.

I am looking to expand my current weapon options. Right now I use 2HE, Heavy Thrown, and Quarter Staff respectively. 2HE takes care of my slice, HT is very versatile and covers my ranged (along with magic), with Quarter Staff being worked up to take care of impact.

QS is being combined into Staves, which will allow me to use both 2-handed and 1-handed blunt weapons, so I feel I have blunt covered. I am going to pick up brawling, because it looks fun. So, what I am left wondering is whether or not I should start learning Small Edged, or Large Edged as a 1-Handed alternative to my 2HE.

I initially thought using ME weapons would give me a fast swinging option, but then thought more about using Heavy Edged as it compliments 2HE nicely since the same stats line up better with the weapon types. Which makes sense if I plan on focusing on strength as my main physical stat. Also, I can use a swappable if I go with HE and save on a weapon. From what I can tell swappables are no worse stats wise for 2HE/HE than one of each weapon. Would using a ME still be a better option even considering the above?

Also, how much does light thrown affect using naphtha. Does a little go a long way? Is splash easier to hit with than throw?

I also have some questions about weapon weight and roundtime as well.

My stats are:
Circle: 51
Strength: 30 Reflex: 30
Agility: 30 Charisma: 12
Discipline: 30 Wisdom: 30
Intelligence: 30 Stamina: 30

My goal, now that most of my stats have reached a good baseline, is to bring up Charisma a little more and then let my mentals and strength move out ahead of the other stats.

So, the question is, for the near future what weapon weight am I looking at being optimal. Right now I am using a 48 stone 2HE, which has been my main weapon since I could afford it. Right now I am swinging it at around 6 seconds for slice and chop. Should I stick with this for a while longer? At what point in my strength development should I think about upgrading to a higher weight?

Thank you for any and all advice that may be of help.
Re: Weapon Selection Advice 01/10/2013 10:53 AM CST
There are pros and cons to all the options. I've always been a big fan of HE/2HE combo, but I've been bad about letting 2HE fall to the wayside lately.

Certainly pick up brawling.

My suggestion would be to pick up two others: Polearms and Offhand. Polearms(pike/halberd) have a large variety of weapon/damage types. Melee, pole, one handed, two handed, Pike/HT. Slice, puncture, and impact heavy versions all exist.

Additionally, you can throw HT with your offhand to work that, as well as use a nightstick (once QS/SS combine in 3.0). The advantage is being able to parry with a weapon in your mainhand while throwing with your offhand, as parry will quickly outdistance shield/evasion due to skillset placement. Also, should you ever come across a bonding potion, you can bond a light spear or javelin. One handed, fits easily in backpacks, can be thrown and invoked.

I personally love my LT, though the naphtha-chucking usefullness can be overcome by casting PW and using targeted instead.

For the most part, I upgraded weapon weights whenever I started hitting the minimum RT with my swings. I ran the gamut of bastard swords.. 28/36/45/54.. then got my bastie altered and bonded and have stuck with the 54 one since.
Re: Weapon Selection Advice 01/10/2013 04:05 PM CST
I personally choose 4 weapons. My primary is Brawling, and all the others are 10-20 percent behind.

Brawling - Fun and has a lot of usefulness. Not as stelar in 3.0, but still gets the job done. I plan to keep it, but let HE take over as primary.

HE - Excelent choice for a lot of options. I have both a lighter balance friendly Recade as well as a nice giant Sterak Axe. Hard to find a weapon class that scales so well. Working hard to move this as my primary weapon.

HT - My guily pleasure. I love HT. I love how well it learns, I love the damage and I love the ability to mix it into other attacks or spells as there is no aim required. This is my goto weapon in PVP

2HE - The raw damage output is just fun and with 3.0 making things a bit more Parry friendly I'm thrilled.
Re: Weapon Selection Advice 01/10/2013 08:27 PM CST
I made the same choice on brawling, though I may let LB or LE overtake, haven't decided (that's Large Edge/Bunt, the new skills).

HT is very nice in 3.0, solid choice. If you don't have an LT bonus, etc... I'd go with HT (unless you want to throw naphtha).

I avoided all 2H weapons, to leave open more held shield options since my character is armor tert.

Player of Ryken
---
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." ~ Doug Larson

AIM - RykenDR
Re: Weapon Selection Advice 01/10/2013 09:18 PM CST
Note in 3.0 there is discussion on a Naphtha producing and throwing spell that might be a better option than LT.
Re: Weapon Selection Advice 01/10/2013 09:20 PM CST
>a Naphtha producing and throwing spell that might be a better option than LT

I'm insanely excited about this. I do have a question about Naphtha in 2.0, though. If you through Naphtha, then throw burning charcoal, torch, burning log, whatever... Do you learn LT from the resulting bonfire?

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Weapon Selection Advice 01/14/2013 02:46 AM CST
Thank you for the assistance everyone.

I've decided to go with HE/2HE, and after looking through weapon appraisals use a separate weapon for each. Does anyone know what weights I should look at? Right now I am slicing/chopping my 48 stone blade at 6 seconds, and I have no idea what the minimum RTs are for a weapon like that. My strength is 30, but I will start preferentially raising it along with my mentals.

Also, what is the best way to train brawling? Do I need gear or can I just go punch some sprites for a while? For parry sticks, do I need to actually be holding it to parry, or can I just wear it?.

Thank you again for all the help, I do read the wiki extensively, and while great, there is lots of subtle information that isn't covered.
Re: Weapon Selection Advice 01/14/2013 03:07 AM CST
>Also, what is the best way to train brawling? Do I need gear or can I just go punch some sprites for a while? For parry sticks, do I need to actually be holding it to parry, or can I just wear it?.

Just throw CIRCLE into your combat every once in a while.

Parry sticks must be worn to be used, and only function when there is nothing in your right hand.

>Thank you again for all the help, I do read the wiki extensively, and while great, there is lots of subtle information that isn't covered.

What else would you like to see?

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Weapon Selection Advice 01/14/2013 09:20 AM CST
>>Just throw CIRCLE into your combat every once in a while.

In fairness, this isn't going to work as a way to train brawling in under a week. :P

Next week, when 3.0 rolls in, if you want to train brawling you might want to toss a KICK in every so often unless you want to fight barehanded.

I totally suggest throwing a WEAVE into combat every once and awhile if you want to move tactics. It's a great/easy/cheap/reasonable defense debuff that keeps the skill moving nicely in normal combat. But this is for when 3.0 comes out on Saturday.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Weapon Selection Advice 01/14/2013 09:22 AM CST
>Just throw CIRCLE into your combat every once in a while.

Will do in the future, but if, say, I just wanted to quickly go lock it somewhere is it like weapons? Kill some things and I learn quickly?

I'll add it into my normal routine otherwise, I don't script combat so it is easy enough to start doing. I am taking a long break from at skill training to explore and have some fun (just in time for 3.0!).

>What else would you like to see?

Not certain off the top of my head, but I signed up today to be able to edit it. I use and present information on a wiki extensively for my job, so mainly I'd just like to clean up the way some things are formatted/presented. If I have any specifics I will let you, or the talk page, know.

Thank you for the help.

P.S. I am going to come bother you about some new weapons sometime soon.
Re: Weapon Selection Advice 01/14/2013 09:38 AM CST
>>Will do in the future, but if, say, I just wanted to quickly go lock it somewhere is it like weapons? Kill some things and I learn quickly?

Yep!

You'll also definitely have to do this when 3.0 comes out, because non-damaging moves will be moved to Tactics while damaging ones stay in Brawling.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).