Crafted small metal shields vs tanned bucklers etc 06/10/2012 11:42 PM CDT

Good Evening,

What is currently the best shield we as warmies should be looking for, in regards to armworn smalls? I'm currently using a storm-bull buckler but cannot use AEG with it, and am thinking I'd get more bang for my buck with a small crafted metal shield instead. Lumium?

Thank you all.
Re: Crafted small metal shields vs tanned bucklers etc 06/11/2012 10:39 AM CDT
Doesn't matter with an arm-worn since breakage was removed. Just go with what appraises best.
Re: Crafted small metal shields vs tanned bucklers etc 06/11/2012 11:34 AM CDT

If you're going to use it for armworn only and not handheld, I'd suggest Gargoyle-hide, they're cheap, and hit the armworn cap(unless the armworn cap gets changes to lower defense instead of a lower defense with a cap).
You can do better (especially if you're going to use it handheld any) but you're probably gonna have a higher hinderance penalty if you go beyond gargs or firecats.
And you can get more durable with something like stormbull, shalswars, or firecats. But garg's will get you the most out of armworn with the least hinderance(you could get less hinderance, but it probably won't hit the armworn cap)

As far as patterns: the regular ordinary shield pattern should be fine, I believe the targe is slightly heavier with a slightly higher lower defense(or it's the same weight with a slightly higher lower defense). If you're looking for least hinderance, then the small shield, or some kind of balance of a lighter material and a pattern that uses more volumes.

I've you're going for metal, I saw a covelite target shield the other day, that pretty much had no hinderance, was very durable, but didn't hit armworn cap. Lumium should be pretty good too, and damite better, but metal's more intended for the larger shields(leather small, bone medium, and metal large) and you'll probably get the most from your material for something larger.
I think at the low weights, most metal shields hinder and weigh too much for the protection they provide.

Honestly, I'd just stick with AEG until the spell no longer works that way. Cast ARMWORN, forms one on your arm instead of your hand, if you didn't know you could do that.
Re: Crafted small metal shields vs tanned bucklers etc 06/11/2012 01:57 PM CDT

Thank you guys. Basically I recall a GM stating that AEG increased shield ranks, do that's why I want to use a metal shield, to be able to use AEG with it. However, perhaps my understanding of the spell is in err. Does the increase in shield skill work if ONLY an AEG shield is used or does it also give the skill boost when AEG is cast on a metal shield? THATS really where my question stems from and why I thought if I used a metal shield instead of a tanned one, I would get the skill boost. Perhaps the skill boost ONLY happens if using the spell generated shield though? If so then perhaps just using that would be better than a tanned or crafted shield...

Please correct me if I'm missunderstanding something.
Re: Crafted small metal shields vs tanned bucklers etc 06/11/2012 02:54 PM CDT
Only when a shield is created do you get the messaging.

P

Luck is nothing more than opportunity meeting preparation.