Cloth armor 04/28/2012 08:18 AM CDT

Is cloth armor something that warrior mages use?
Re: Cloth armor 04/28/2012 12:42 PM CDT
>>Is cloth armor something that warrior mages use?

It generally depends on how sneaky/evasive the warrior mage wants to be.

low hindrance << high protection
currently: cloth << leather << bone << light chain << heavy chain << light plate << heavy plate
3.0: light armors << chain << brigandine << plate

It's all up to you where you want to be on the stealth/evasion vs. protection scale.
Re: Cloth armor 04/28/2012 12:49 PM CDT

Thanks for the reply. Never really pictured WMs being sneaky.
Re: Cloth armor 04/29/2012 01:31 PM CDT
Survival tert. You certainly can be if you want, with RM, but it seems a mistake. Especially with YS available to us.
Re: Cloth armor 04/30/2012 10:42 AM CDT

Plate ftw Imo.

- Starlear -
Re: Cloth armor 04/30/2012 03:06 PM CDT
>>Plate ftw Imo.

You do realize that YS is changing in 3.0 yes?

My Cleric personally uses plate anyways, but you're no longer going to be getting the hindrance of leather with plate armor.
Re: Cloth armor 04/30/2012 04:18 PM CDT
Yes, I am aware it is changing, and I still stand by "plate ftw."

- Starlear -
Re: Cloth armor 04/30/2012 07:31 PM CDT
I hunt without YS in a full HP setup currently.

In 3.0 armor will start actively defending in addition to lowering incoming damage, making hunting in HP without YS even more feasible than it is now.
Re: Cloth armor 04/30/2012 09:08 PM CDT
^ This.

Also, with YS being an armor skill boost, it will be a different, but equally useful setup.

I am only moderately hindered in my full HP setup without YS.

- Starlear -
Re: Cloth armor 04/30/2012 10:25 PM CDT
I am currently using a LC/HC/LP mix as I am hoping to focus on Chain and Brigandine armors after the skill split. Would it be better for me to just focus on one? I would choose Brigandine as it seems to suit me the most.
Re: Cloth armor 05/01/2012 09:02 AM CDT
LC/HC are merging to a single skill, so, if anything, drop the plate.

I'm on the fence about going chain/plate. Being hindered sucks, but we're survival tert, so, who cares? But then, since strength is going to be the sole determinate of physical combat damage, I might end up pumping more into it in 3.0. But then, I use ME and brawling, so, maybe I'll be able to stick with low strength.
Re: Cloth armor 05/02/2012 03:01 AM CDT
>>Being hindered sucks, but we're survival tert, so, who cares?

Hindrance affects your evasion... so you're saying because it's already low, it doesn't matter if it goes lower? I'd think you'd want to do everything in your power to prevent it from being penalized further. But I suppose you could try to trade off for the protection instead.

>>But then, I use ME and brawling, so, maybe I'll be able to stick with low strength.

Huh? Strength is great for brawling.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Cloth armor 05/02/2012 09:30 AM CDT
>Hindrance affects your evasion... so you're saying because it's already low, it doesn't matter if it goes lower? I'd think you'd want to do everything in your power to prevent it from being penalized further. But I suppose you could try to trade off for the protection instead.

I wonder if the hindrance penalties will be applied to Evasion, Shield, and Parry in 3.0.

If not, then Stance Shield/Parry with 0 evasion will negate armor hindrance. Right?
Re: Cloth armor 05/02/2012 12:54 PM CDT
>>Huh? Strength is great for brawling.
I thought brawling was mostly predicated on agility?

>>Hindrance affects your evasion... so you're saying because it's already low, it doesn't matter if it goes lower? I'd think you'd want to do everything in your power to prevent it from being penalized further. But I suppose you could try to trade off for the protection instead.
It mostly comes down to whether or not you want to use stealths, for me. If you do, then you're going to be training a tertiary skill set. If you don't, there's no reason to bother with lighter armors, assuming you can work your hindrance to a reasonable level. What you define as reasonable is up to you, but I'd say if you're weapon secondary and already using heavier weapons, as a lot of warmies do, then you don't have much to lose from also putting on heavier armors.

That said, my warmie is probably dropping plate, because I don't plan on pumping strength with him.
Re: Cloth armor 05/02/2012 01:24 PM CDT
<<I thought brawling was mostly predicated on agility?

Depending on the move: Strength, Agility, and/or Stamina. Also possibly Charisma and the invisible Luck stat.
Re: Cloth armor 05/02/2012 02:04 PM CDT
>>Depending on the move: Strength, Agility, and/or Stamina. Also possibly Charisma and the invisible Luck stat.

Strength & Stamina: PUNCH, SLICE, GOUGE, KICK, ELBOW, KNEE, BUTT, LUNGE, SLAM
Strength & Agility: SLAP
Strength & Reflex: BITE
Agility & Reflex: CLAW, JAB, FEINT

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Cloth armor 05/02/2012 02:29 PM CDT
>Depending on the move: Strength, Agility, and/or Stamina. Also possibly Charisma and the imaginary Luck stat.

ftfy

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Cloth armor 05/02/2012 04:11 PM CDT
>>the imaginary Luck stat.

>>ftfy

Yea, it has been stated by a red-name that this does not exist, and if it did it would make things crazy and much harder to balance.

Now it has been debated that Charisma works like a luck stat sometimes in combat. People have argued that you see more "moving into a better position" and lucky hits when you have higher charisma. But this has never been proven as far as I know.
Re: Cloth armor 05/02/2012 04:13 PM CDT
Sarcasm on the internet does it again.

What Pureblade posted was, for once, actually the whole truth.
Re: Cloth armor 05/02/2012 06:49 PM CDT
>>What Pureblade posted was, for once, actually the whole truth.

Keep carrying that cross.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Cloth armor 05/07/2012 06:08 PM CDT
RP is the main reason I'm having my baby warmie use cloth. So far it has been going well. I'm sure it will eventually cause me trouble, but not really aiming for a high level.

Thanks for all the info.