Hiding/Stalking with Light Chain 03/14/2012 01:38 PM CDT
Heyo, made a new character and currently in eels. I've been trying to train hiding/stalking along with my combats but I'm having trouble hiding on everything when I'm at level. So I have a few questions that I'm hoping the DR community can answer.

Does stealth hindrance with armor get worked down to a minimum level with more armor skill like combat hindrance does or is it a flat constant regardless? (Currently on this system and how is that going to change on the new system? Have we been told?)

I got rising mists but while it helps a lot with "hiding" I still get spotted when trying to stalk fifty-percent of the time, this makes it hard to actually train the stalking half of the two skills. Is RM like the Ranger's Earth Meld that seems to only help hiding but not stalking (I think)? I also can only cast it at 15 mana give or take, does increasing the mana I put into the spell increase its ability to hide or just its duration? Elanthipedia doesn't touch on this when I looked it up.

Anything else I could do to boost my hiding/stalking besides just taking off my armor?

Thanks for the input.
Re: Hiding/Stalking with Light Chain 03/14/2012 03:16 PM CDT
I'm fairly confident the stealth hindrance is never worked down. My Moonie wore LC and was a stealth hunter for about 200 ranks, then just gave up on it and caught another survival up instead. As a Warmie, the fact that YS exists was enough to discourage me from trying stealths.
Re: Hiding/Stalking with Light Chain 03/14/2012 07:38 PM CDT
a bit, i think? but I seem to recall that you can't really work it off... and the scale's are difffernt...

You feel certain that an augmented hauberk appears to impose noticeable maneuvering hindrance and moderate stealth hindrance, offering:
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently insignificantly hindered and your stealth is lightly hindered.

and YS for grins.
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently minimally hindered and your stealth is lightly hindered.

I think there's a max minimal stealth with each style of armor. HC's usually a step higher than LC with that one stone difference.

and the Overall hinderance range scale is larger than the item's base hinderance range. It has minimally and a few other ones, unless the names are different...

Re: Hiding/Stalking with Light Chain 03/14/2012 07:42 PM CDT
You can't work off stealth hindrance. The best you can do is get even better at stealth to try to mitigate it.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Hiding/Stalking with Light Chain 03/14/2012 08:07 PM CDT
"You can't work off stealth hindrance. The best you can do is get even better at stealth to try to mitigate it."

Which makes me believe that you can't reduce stealth hindrance as you gain more ranks in approriate armor? Not asking to reduce any hindrance whether encumbrance, or stealth to zero, just downgrade it a bit, a lot depending on skill and guild and what not.

I know this isn't a skills folder, but this just seems to show the lack of eumph that the armor skillset has, it really should have MORE (sorry for being loud, but it seems that the armor skillset is more of a whisper then and trying to be survival, then being ARMOR, I am tank, welcome to durable, tough, hard, ready to take a pounding skillset)[It may seem like a paradox, but armor needs more].

Re: Hiding/Stalking with Light Chain 03/14/2012 08:18 PM CDT
>>Which makes me believe that you can't reduce stealth hindrance as you gain more ranks in approriate armor?

Correct. Stealth hindrance remains the same regardless of ranks in Armor.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Hiding/Stalking with Light Chain 03/14/2012 08:35 PM CDT
>>I think there's a max minimal stealth with each style of armor.

Looks like it. This is one of the least hindering light chain loricas I've seen and it still gives me light stealth hinderance.

> app lori

The mesh lorica is light chain.

The lorica looks like it offers protection for the following areas:

chest
abdomen
back

You feel certain that a fitted mesh lorica of chaotically-angled links appears to impose mild (6/15) maneuvering hindrance and fair (5/15) stealth hindrance, offering:
good (5/15) protection and extreme (13/17) damage absorption for puncture attacks.
high (7/15) protection and extreme (13/17) damage absorption for slice attacks.
very good (6/15) protection and extreme (13/17) damage absorption for impact attacks.
good (5/15) protection and high (9/17) damage absorption for fire attacks.
moderate (4/15) protection and high (9/17) damage absorption for cold attacks.
fair (3/15) protection and high (9/17) damage absorption for electrical attacks.

If you were only wearing a fitted mesh lorica of chaotically-angled links your maneuvering would be minimally hindered and your stealth would be insignificantly hindered.
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently lightly hindered and your stealth is lightly hindered.

You are certain that the mesh lorica is nearly impervious to damage (17/18), and is practically in mint condition (90-97%).

The mesh lorica is made with metal.
The mesh lorica is moderately flexible.
You are certain that the mesh lorica weighs exactly 153 stones.
You are certain that the mesh lorica is worth exactly 2957636 dokoras.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

~Leilond
http://tinyurl.com/Leilond-Portrait
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: Hiding/Stalking with Light Chain 03/15/2012 01:43 AM CDT
One important thing to note about Stalking -- it will "soon" be combining with Hiding to make the Stealth skill. When this happens, your Stealth skill will have the same ranks as your Hiding skill, if your Hiding is higher than your Stalking (which it sounds like it is). The ranks from your Stalking skill will go into a "bonus pool" that will provide a bonus to your survival learning for some time.

What this means is that you only have to worry about training Hiding, unless you really really want the bonus pool ranks. Hiding = Stealth ability. So if I were you, I'd just forget about Stalking.

Also, having personally trained up a LC/HC/Leather character, it can certainly be done (though it is not the best for PVP). I recommend finding a setup that leaves you at lightly hindered, stealth wise, and giving that a go. Also keep your burden down, make sure you're always fully healed, and consider hunting different creatures if the ones you're with seem extra perceptive.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Hiding/Stalking with Light Chain 03/15/2012 02:14 AM CDT

>> Leilond

Can you explain why stealth hindrance drops when you are wearing the armor?

You feel certain that a fitted mesh lorica of chaotically-angled links appears to impose mild (6/15) maneuvering hindrance and * fair (5/15) stealth hindrance *, offering:

But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently lightly hindered and your stealth is * lightly hindered.*

Thanks!
Re: Hiding/Stalking with Light Chain 03/15/2012 06:07 AM CDT
Umm... not sure, maybe stealth hinderance levels don't follow the typical naming scheme?

Or maybe I get a stylish bonus to stealth.

~Leilond
http://tinyurl.com/Leilond-Portrait
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: Hiding/Stalking with Light Chain 03/15/2012 11:11 AM CDT
Your 'overall hinderance' is a larger ranger than an items' base 'hinderance'.

Also for some reason I don't think anyone's ever put a list of Overall hinderances in order, at least not that I've been able to find lately.

-

I've been wanting a suit of 'end game' armor for everyday use-

and I'm debating wether to go with reinforced weighted damite mail hauberk(massive hinderance, best protection) and accessories, or if I should go with a mix of rein plat damite ring/chain/mail (less protection in some places, but a lot lower hinderance, and it wouldn't affect my stealth much). Weight's not an issue.

also i'm wondering if I uses pieces instead of a single suit, I think the overall weight and hinderance will be a lot higher. But as individual pieces, can I work the hinderance down per piece so it combines lower than a suit?

I got more LC than HC(roughly twice as much), so I'm not sure how much hinderance I can actually work down yet(since all my new armor'd be HC at the moment). I'm not as concerned with stealth(since I suck) as I am with dodging though.
I was comparing base hinderance for steel, and the ring hauberk is a lot lower than both the chain and mail, I think that would be enough to keep me flexible even with all the puncture protection loss.
But if it's something I can work down a lot, or get the mail down to the same hinderance as the mix, might as well go with the mail.

Anyone with lots of HC and really hindering armor, able to list how much they're able to work it down? or what the hinderances looked like?

Anyone know if a mix of armor pieces can get lower overall hinderance than a 1-piece suit?

Any suggestions?

Re: Hiding/Stalking with Light Chain 03/15/2012 12:07 PM CDT
>>One important thing to note about Stalking -- it will "soon" be combining with Hiding to make the Stealth skill. When this happens, your Stealth skill will have the same ranks as your Hiding skill, if your Hiding is higher than your Stalking (which it sounds like it is). The ranks from your Stalking skill will go into a "bonus pool" that will provide a bonus to your survival learning for some time.

Oh I knew about that, they're actually only two ranks apart (and ten ranks apart on my Ranger) and I've always found the stalking checks to be much more difficult to pass than the hiding checks when just starting a new critter. Certainly considering giving up the stalking portion of the rotation, though I can at least get it to work half the time.

Good to note that there's no way to train down stealth hindrance. Thanks for the information. Honestly that's what I thought I remembered, but I usually don't remember very well so thought I'd ask.

How about any good Warrior Mage ways to improve hiding/stalking to overcome the hindrance that way? Am I right in saying that possibly rising mists doesn't improve stalking chances as much as hiding chances? Does it get better at improving hiding(maybe stalking) with more mana put in the spell? Are there any other spells to help with hiding that I should nab from the guild leader? I thought I remember hearing Aether Cloak improves hiding, but that seems like a stretch and might be my imagination and held mana spells are probably not for my current level anyway.

>>Also, having personally trained up a LC/HC/Leather character, it can certainly be done (though it is not the best for PVP). I recommend finding a setup that leaves you at lightly hindered, stealth wise, and giving that a go. Also keep your burden down, make sure you're always fully healed, and consider hunting different creatures if the ones you're with seem extra perceptive.

Will take a look at my armor, I'm just in the basic store bought at the moment.

Thanks everyone :)
Re: Hiding/Stalking with Light Chain 03/15/2012 03:42 PM CDT

>>How about any good Warrior Mage ways to improve hiding/stalking to overcome the hindrance that way? Am I right in saying that possibly rising mists doesn't improve stalking chances as much as hiding chances? Does it get better at improving hiding(maybe stalking) with more mana put in the spell? Are there any other spells to help with hiding that I should nab from the guild leader? I thought I remember hearing Aether Cloak improves hiding, but that seems like a stretch and might be my imagination and held mana spells are probably not for my current level anyway.

As a survival Tert guild you're going to have to stay in hunting areas longer if you want to be able to hide/stalk at level before progressing to the next creature. You could invest in Azurite runestones to help cover the gap some, but eventually your TM and weapons will outpace your stealths. You'll get to a point where you have to make a decision. Move up the critter ladder and forgo hiding/stalking, or forgo TM/weapons for a bit while you train up stealths before moving out of the area.

Using RM and/or removing armor is going to be a necessity if you want to keep it on par with your combats. AC doesn't do anything for hiding as far as I'm aware.
Re: Hiding/Stalking with Light Chain 03/15/2012 06:45 PM CDT
>Anyone know if a mix of armor pieces can get lower overall hinderance than a 1-piece suit?

Store bought: No, in fact you get more.
New Forged: GM Kodius has said it's calculated so that they're the same whether you do one or many pieces.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Hiding/Stalking with Light Chain 03/15/2012 10:32 PM CDT

>Anyone know if a mix of armor pieces can get lower overall hinderance than a 1-piece suit?

The difference in hinderance is somewhat small, but there is a difference in volume; so the hinderance should follow. For example, going with a robe and sleeves is 59 volumes in ring, 83 in mail; whereas a hauberk and gloves is 79 volumes in ring, 100 in mail. You can also shave off even more by going with a mantle, but then you can't go with a balaclava.
Re: Hiding/Stalking with Light Chain 03/16/2012 04:51 PM CDT
adding up the total Raw base hinderance data for Mail armor

bala, haub, gloves - 14/15 -124 vol

bala, robe, sleeves - 14/13 -107 vol

were the 2 best mixes I saw, a lot of various mixes ended up 17/16 or 17/17

robe/sleeves doesn't seem a bad idea if it really keeps the stealth hinderance down that much.

Hard to tell how much more hinderance the weighted damite will add though. Looking at raw to damite hinderance, sometimes it seems to vary how much it adds for different pieces.

using the data for Reinforced weighted mail damite gloves and bala with a damite Ring hauberk would be 18/15. So a 20/16 (at worst?) estimate for a full mail set-up?

Am i going to be able to work that much down? Anyone with heavier armors, how much do you guys get it down?
My current set up of LC is 11/10, and I get insignificant/light(whatever that means) total.

Any further thoughts?

and thanks for the robe / sleeve suggestion

Re: Hiding/Stalking with Light Chain 03/16/2012 05:11 PM CDT
Whoops that's 18/15 with a Chain hauberk, not Ring.