TM Training 02/25/2012 09:18 PM CST

I'm having a horrendous time getting TM moving.

400 PM/Harness
260 TM

Agility 35
Discipline 32

I've been primarily trying to work it on fendryads spamming CL at 15 prep. Elder deer don't seem to work quite as well even though a 15 prep does considerably more damage to them vs the fennies. Is CL spam the best way to go? Should I try a different critter? Does targetting specific parts make a difference? I returned to the realms not too long ago and I've been too busy backtraining to really work TM too much, but I'm ready to focus on it more. Any help would be appreciated.
Re: TM Training 02/25/2012 09:36 PM CST
Don't know if your defenses could handle it, but I've heard baby gryphons are the next step. Elanthipedia lists them as 250 on the low end. Depending on who entered that, you might be able to do it sooner with buffs. Elder Brocket Deer are listed as 220, and I was doing them with 20-30 less than that with YS, SW, SuF up.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Expert Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: TM Training 02/25/2012 09:42 PM CST

I will give them a shot. Currently in Elder deer I can dance with 4 with all buffs and virtually never get touched using a parry/evasion stance. Shield would be out of the question in gryphs as I can still get beat on somewhat in deer stancing shield. Thanks for the advice.
Re: TM Training 02/25/2012 09:59 PM CST
260 is exactly the skill threshold I used to migrate over to baby gryphons so if you have comparable defenses just keep SW and SUF up and CL like crazy. It will lock pretty fast.

- P

Luck is nothing more than opportunity meeting preparation.
Re: TM Training 02/25/2012 10:07 PM CST

Sounds great...I just popped my head in to check them out...that place is bonkers.
Re: TM Training 02/25/2012 10:16 PM CST
Yah you can count on a minimum 3 being melee with you always so make sure you have 260 MO. In addition, if you are in Shard gryphons make sure you watch out for wondering Young Forest Gryphons as they are a tier higher and would probably kill you. Also, if you use the Rossmans route, there are only 3 rooms with pure baby/fledgling gryphons.

- P

Luck is nothing more than opportunity meeting preparation.
Re: TM Training 02/25/2012 10:24 PM CST

I think it's likely I'll need to stick with elder deer/fendryads for a bit longer. I could retreat spam and melt face but that's exactly the sort of thing that caused me to have to spend the last 2 months backtraining my defenses.
Re: TM Training 02/25/2012 11:20 PM CST
>I could retreat spam and melt face but that's exactly the sort of thing that caused me to have to spend the last 2 months backtraining my defenses.

This is why I added so many weapons to my training routine. I now train what will be every weapon after the split. This gives my shield/evasion plenty of time to stay at level. I just added 2HB from zero ranks in Young Brocket Deer, and you have more Agility than me. I'd suggest adding a couple extra weapons (since it's not hard to keep four to eight moving at the same time).

"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: TM Training 02/25/2012 11:36 PM CST

Currently I'm training LT, LB, Brawling, HE, and LE working my way up through the deer ladder with defense training and the latter three weapons happening in elder deer. I should probably add in a second weapon each to train in the bottom and mid tier. 2HB sounds fun for an Elothean! I suppose I should pick up an aimed ranged weapon as well.
Re: TM Training 02/26/2012 12:14 AM CST
I've found with five weapons I can lock them all, so I try adding a few more. I haven't narrowed it down yet... These days I just don't care if they drain all the way, and work TM, ME, LT, 2HE, HE, Pike, Brawl, HT, and LB in Elders. Then I train stealth with LX, SB, and Sling as well as Offhand, 2HB, QS, and HB in Young. I might move the second group up to middle tier when 2HB gets a bit higher.

Re: TM Training 11/08/2012 06:57 PM CST
I realize that this is an old thread, but holy cow that is a lot of weapons to train at once!
Re: TM Training 11/08/2012 07:28 PM CST
I'm starting to juggle a few different classes and getting them trained and ready for 3.0. I have to say, a weapon secondary, training six different weapons at once, isn't actually that outlandish. The issue is whether or not they're six DIFFERENT weapons. Training for example LE, ME and HE is kind of a waste, in my opinion, of diversification, in light of 3.0.

My barb for example can't keep even 6 weapons locked rotating through them all, but my Necromancer can easily keep more than that. You just have to find your sweet spot.
Re: TM Training 11/08/2012 07:30 PM CST
Well, more weapons, more defenses? I've managed to keep shield/parry/etc. higher than weapons on multiple clerics/WM/thieves. Magic number for cleric/wm seems to be 4-5 weapons. After that your defenses outpace your weapons up to 200ish (that's where I stopped) without any actual effort.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: TM Training 11/16/2012 03:53 AM CST
I must be doing something really wrong then. My defenses are easily outpacing my one primary weapon. I can't even lock it, while my four armors and three defenses are all locked up.
Re: TM Training 11/16/2012 07:15 AM CST
You might be hunting a quadraped instead of a biped. My sense is that quadrapeds train defenses faster, and bipeds are better at training offenses. Or, it could just be that you aren't swinging very quickly. Whats your weapon RT?
Re: TM Training 11/16/2012 03:58 PM CST
I am hunting a quadruped. Leucros. Before this is was Crocodiles, also a quadruped. Maybe I should find some humanoids to beat up on. My weapon RT is 3/4. I finally managed to lock up my primary weapon after 3 hours.
Re: TM Training 11/17/2012 02:37 AM CST

what is your weapon skill? Defense and offense skill levels help a lot.
Re: TM Training 11/17/2012 01:31 PM CST

Also, locking isn't important; just keeping the skill moving is important.

Quadrapeds die really quickly, which makes training weapons on them rough sometimes. At that range, try snobs?
Re: TM Training 11/18/2012 02:39 PM CST
>> I am hunting a quadruped. Leucros. Before this is was Crocodiles, also a quadruped. Maybe I should find some humanoids to beat up on. My weapon RT is 3/4. I finally managed to lock up my primary weapon after 3 hours.

Defenses generally outpace weapons especially at lower ranks. For example weapons were slowing down at silver leucs at 130 where defenses teach to about 150. You just need to move up the creature chain. Also note that shield will train higher then all the other defenses because of the MO penalty lowering it's effective ranks.
Re: TM Training 11/19/2012 03:57 PM CST
Ah, gotcha. That sounds about right for what I'm seeing. My only concern with going up the critter ladder is that I usually head back to town because I've gotten a bleeder from leucros after an hour or two. I fear that going up will just cause me to get hurt quicker and end my hunting trip until I find a nice puff.
Re: TM Training 11/19/2012 04:25 PM CST
Stay where you are, catch your defenses up some, and then move up. :) You'll not regret it. Don't be that guy that has to hunt one thing for TM, one thing for weapons, and one thing for defenses because trying to do all 3 on one thing leads to death or not being able to learn 2/3. It's less of an issue at higher levels because the critters teach for a few hundred rank window, but make sure you're ready for any changes in critter with your lowest relevant combat skill, not your highest.

- Starlear -
Re: TM Training 11/19/2012 07:05 PM CST
Don't be a glass cannon. It's unpleasant.

I've raised up multiple clerics and WMs and all of them had defenses significantly higher than offenses (except one Wm who I sat in classes a lot). I recommend 3-4-5 weapons, as all that time will give your defenses time to stay locked longer. Plus it's not a huge hassle till you get to near a critters cap.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: TM Training 12/18/2012 05:50 AM CST
<<Don't be a glass cannon. It's unpleasant.

That is for damned sure. I'm currently back training shield and decided to ramp up as many weapons as I could as well. Who doesn't like TDPS? My current weapon training regime goes: Brawling, LE, ME, HE, 2HE, MB, HB, 2HB, Halberds, Pikes, HT. Might as well continue once everything is caught up.

Do not train to your TM, train to your shield.