Another Warrior Mage back after a while away 01/03/2011 10:09 AM CST
Hi Folks,

Been gone a few years (not sure exactly...last major thing I remember was the release of the "Mark of Arhat" spell). I feel a bit lost...want to try to get back into the swing of things with my warrior mage character (main character). Last I was in the game I vaguely recall hunting something out the (i think) west gate of Shard that was teaching pretty good and I was earning good coin from. Can't for the life of me remember where exactly and I seem to have lost all my guides/maps/etc...

If anyone can give me some quick help it would be appreciated. In the meantime I am trying to find some critter guides and maps, but if anyone knows any especially good ones please feel free to post a link...

And for reference these are my main combat skills:

Main Armors
Light Chain: 265
Heavy Chain: 244
Light Plate: 195

Main Defense (at stance evasion 83/parry 100)
Parry: 302
Evasion: 283

Main Weapons
Short Bow: 258
Medium Blunt: 238
Medium Edge: 158

Magic
Elemental Magic (assume this is a replacement for PM?): 361
Harness: 371
Targeted Magic: 243
Power Perceive: 404
Arcana (assume this is a replacement for Magical Devices?): 191

I am currently 51 circle, have all the fire spells (to my knowledge), along with most of the lightning (have Tingle, LB, and CL which I remember using the most). For defense I have SuF and SW spells, which I remember using pretty heavily.

Anyway any help/advice/hints would be appreciated, looking forward to getting back into the swing of things!
Re: Another Warrior Mage back after a while away 01/03/2011 11:09 AM CST
As far as spells go, get Y'ntrel Sechra when you can. It will greatly help to reduce your hindrance, especially since you're using a 3 metal armor set-up (LC/HC/LP).

Also, I don't see shield listed there anywhere. Its absolutely essential against any ranged or TM attack so I'd start back-training it if it isn't near your parry/evasion level. Its very easy to do this now because of arm-worn shields. As a war mage, you'll need a small sized shield, ADJUST it to be arm-worm, wear it, stance for shield and watch the ranks flow in. There's very good player tanned shields out there. Alternately you can learn the spell Aegis of Granite and create your own as needed, although its not as effective a shield. The spells big plus is improving a metal shield or being able to create a shield even if you lose yours.

<<Elemental Magic (assume this is a replacement for PM?):

Yep. Just a renaming really. Exactly the same skill, just shows up as the appropriate magic type for your guild.

<<Arcana (assume this is a replacement for Magical Devices?):

Also correct. It was renamed to give a broader definition for the skill and to allow for non-magic users to have more hooks into using it.

-Evran

"RAGE + TEAR + EYE + RESO + HARM + DRUM + MISD + PRIDE + Your choice of Cyclic + AoE stun/knockdown as needed without losing buffs = OMG! I just crapped my pants!" -Evran
Re: Another Warrior Mage back after a while away 03/02/2011 02:44 PM CST
I'm currently backtraining HP, with HC as my main armor.
I'm an ME user, and Elothean, and am wondering what the minimum strength I should aim for is to keep that hindrance down. Obviously agility is going to be more important to me than strength.
Re: Another Warrior Mage back after a while away 03/03/2011 08:59 AM CST
>>I'm an ME user, and Elothean, and am wondering what the minimum strength I should aim for is to keep that hindrance down.

I couldn't really hazard a guess on what str you'll need, I'm sure there's a calculator out there - but you'd need to total up everything else (herbs, fluff, lockpicks, etc). I'd gather you'd start feeling more comfortable around 25-30 str, though. At a minimum.

I'd recommend keeping stamina in step or near strength, though. It increases your carrying capacity a little, and you'll need it if you're using that ME a lot. Keep Zephyr and Ease Burden up, and keep raising both stats. Agility may need to take a back seat for awhile.
Re: Another Warrior Mage back after a while away 03/03/2011 09:17 AM CST
sorry for the double post, but I also was assuming you meant encumbrance and not hindrance.