Re: Warmie been in slumber 06/05/2010 04:36 AM CDT
<<Don't even remember how to call on the gods for help with missing items from my vault.

ASSIST

<<Whatever knocked me out for that long really must have done some damage or something..

Without knowing your stats/skills, it's hard to know exactly what the problem is. There are three different kinds of Swamp Troll, all in a different difficulty tier.

With that said, there are a few things to check. Make sure you are using a shield in combat. You can now wear shields on your arm, to free up your left hand. Be sure to ADJUST the shield first so it will fit on your left arm instead of your shoulder. Also, set your STANCE so that it gives 100% to the highest of shield/parry and 80% (or more) to evasion. For me, I do 100% shield, 80% evasion. That seems to protect me the best.

Combat currently uses a Combo based system of attacks to maintain balance. We can't just jab/draw over and over anymore like the old days. (Personally, I like the combo system, but the GMs said they are doing away with it soon.) Anyways, if you use an Edge weapon that is primarily slicing, use the combo: feint, draw, sweep slice, chop, parry, (back to feint). That should help you maintain balance and kill critters quickly. If you are a war mage... be sure to keep a capped SureFoot and capped Swirling Winds up all the time in combat for boosts to AGIL/REF/balance and Evasion/Parry respectfully. (both spells cap at about 60-62 mana.)

Another important part of combat is keeping your burden to none at all times. You can check your burden with the ENC command. Anything above 'None' will give you a progressively greater penalty to evasion... making you easier to hit. Put any extra items in your vault or the donation bin in the Haven temple, or train STRENGTH/STAMINA to increase the amount you can carry before becoming burdened.

Anyways, these are just some pointers to help you get back into the swing of things. If you post your character name, I can try to look you up in Prime and show you the ropes if you'd like.

Let me know!
Re: Warmie been in slumber 06/05/2010 04:38 AM CDT
>>Ha.. Don't even remember how to call on the gods for help with missing items from my vault.

If your character wants to beseech the gods for aid, the relevant command is PRAY.
If you want to request technical assistance from the staff and GameMasters, the relevant command is ASSIST.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Warmie been in slumber 06/05/2010 07:59 AM CDT
I've just returned after about 5 years myself. I'm guessing you weren't a noob back then so you already know about the combo system and just about everything else already mentioned. Remembering WHAT the best combos are has been my problem.

Is hitting them with weapons or magic being the problem? There are always little tweaks of systems going on here or there. Since my return I've noticed a number of these but I always start on low critters and work my way back up.

I hadn't noticed any tweaks effecting my weapons since 5 years ago. I have noticed Ice Patch isn't as effective on critters well above my level anymore. Also, I can't repeat frontbite a mob of lower critters and watch them bleed to death.
Re: Warmie been in slumber 06/05/2010 08:23 AM CDT
Ice Patch is now a targeted spell. When facing something much stronger than you make sure you fully target it.

Grixlek says, "Courage is dangerous, it leads to attempts at heroics..."
Vegas asks, "What like dating?"
Grixlek says, "Nothing that dangerous I believe, but still crazy stuff."
Re: Warmie been in slumber 06/05/2010 08:51 AM CDT
>>If your character wants to beseech the gods for aid, the relevant command is PRAY.
>>If you want to request technical assistance from the staff and GameMasters, the relevant command is ASSIST.

haha
Re: Warmie been in slumber 06/07/2010 10:37 AM CDT
>assist request Meraud, help me master my magic and slay my enemies.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Warmie been in slumber 07/13/2010 06:24 PM CDT
you should post your stats, skills etc so people can determine if its a limitation of your character of of your actions