Hunting, help for a lost WM 04/26/2010 09:09 AM CDT
* Your post here I am having a bit of a hunting problem. I can't seem to find a solid creature to hunt that doesn't occasionally get lucky and then maul me to death.

My defenses are in the early 200 range (heavy plate and shield), as are my primary weapons (2HB, HE)

I have tried to hunt Scimitar Atiks, Deadwood Dryads and Nyads, and Fledgling and Baby Gryphons all with some degree of success.

Unfortunately they all seem to get that lucky hit which injures and stuns me to the point that escape is impossible, and death usually follows a few hits later.

When hunting these I make sure I have all my buffs running at max prep (SW, SUF, YS, AEG, ES)

So not sure if this was the right spot or not, but any suggestions?
Re: Hunting, help for a lost WM 04/26/2010 09:37 AM CDT
If you're willing to travel, give small peccaries and caracals a chance on M'riss. They should train you quite well.

If you have a fir fam, have it always follow you while hunting and bump up your charisma a bit and it will drag you out of stuns.
Re: Hunting, help for a lost WM 04/26/2010 09:46 AM CDT
genis if you can get in(might need a clear vision) should cover the gap til baby gryphons(maybe 250 at the least to handle gryphon swarms ok. they'll teach 'well' to 350-400)
got Manifest Force? it really helps a lot, and may be enough to help with the stun problem...
and if it's when you're surrounded, maybe cast Earth sense if you have it(i know it doesn't do much, but it helps enough)

Also could increase stamina to get over the stuns, I tend to go with more agil/reflex/disc and would just rather avoid the attacks entirely.

Also check out Elanthipedia.com, they've got a decent bestiary database, and can search by level and region. There's also a Forf hunting beastiary that's really well arranged by tiers, and I hope they do something like that for other provinces too.

Tekemi exclaims, "It's practically a smorgasbord out here!"
Tekemi says to Tokomi, "You're the prime rib, of course."
Re: Hunting, help for a lost WM 04/26/2010 12:17 PM CDT
I will really need to invest in a Fir Familiar and some Charisma...

I tried to get into Geni's but even with Earth Sense my perception doesn't seem to be high enough.

Oddly enough though I found that Black Leucro's are still moving my defenses a bit. Even at 235 Shield. So I may stay there till it stops moving and then try Red Leucro's if I can get to them to bridge the gap to Gryphons.
Re: Hunting, help for a lost WM 04/26/2010 12:21 PM CDT
One of the new critters at the rakash village is supposed to be between black leucs and red leucs so you might give them a try too. Forget which one though. I went into gryphons with about 250 and I love it there so you're not too far away.
Re: Hunting, help for a lost WM 04/26/2010 04:44 PM CDT
also...
are you using a thrown weapon?

Tekemi exclaims, "It's practically a smorgasbord out here!"
Tekemi says to Tokomi, "You're the prime rib, of course."
Re: Hunting, help for a lost WM 04/27/2010 08:28 AM CDT
No, unfortunately I realized the usefulness of Throwing Weapons a bit late and really need to get around to back training it.

Speaking of back training, I have a really hard time keeping my parry up with my the rest of my defenses since I primarily use shields. Plus, even with SW and YS, Parry just seems less reliable then my shield, which invariably leads to more deaths.

Any hints to training parry?
Re: Hunting, help for a lost WM 04/27/2010 09:05 AM CDT
>>Any hints to training parry?

Keep on it.

The "problem" with parry is that a large part of its defensive power is determined by your skill with the weapon you're holding. Sub-200 or 250 ranks, in my experience it was an inferior melee defense at the end of the day, but afterwards it evened out and eventually started pulling away from shield, especially in a multi opponent situation. (Obviously I am only talking about mobs, not PvP.)

Combat 3.0 will probably involve some changes to parry and shield to make them equally desirable - or at least moreso than they are now - depending on the circumstances. I would definitely make sure you keep training it.

Right now the Moon Mage place on the "combat pet totem pole" is the part that's sunk into the earth to lower the pole's center of gravity.
-Armifer de Dragonrealms