Armor Questions 12/27/2009 06:29 PM CST
So, anyone have any thoughts to offer on Plate VS Chain? I've got a great forged set of each but just can't decide. Not sure how YS would interact so looking for some elder thoughts.

Thanks,

Mind of Many

>>That being said... If you are going to damn yourself, you may as well do it all the way. -GM Abasha
Re: Armor Questions 12/27/2009 07:04 PM CST
If you go the plate route you can pretty much give up on being able to hide. Personally I prefer chain, but I know some plate wearing mages as well.

YS is a good spell regardless of the armor type so its not really a factor.
Re: Armor Questions 12/28/2009 10:23 AM CST
>>If you go the plate route you can pretty much give up on being able to hide. Personally I prefer chain, but I know some plate wearing mages as well.

I'm more interested in higher end combat. I have my stealth char's and have invis rings/cloak for this guy if hiding becomes a MUST.

Additional Thoughts?

>>That being said... If you are going to damn yourself, you may as well do it all the way. -GM Abasha
Re: Armor Questions 12/28/2009 10:41 AM CST
>>nd have invis rings/cloak for this guy if hiding becomes a MUST.

You're aware invis is just a bonus to hiding ranks, + the ability to "sneak" with no RT right? You can be pointed out of invis just like hiding.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Also: Moo.
Re: Armor Questions 12/28/2009 10:45 AM CST
Yup, had not planned to sneak up on anyone any time soon.

Re: Armor Questions 12/28/2009 10:49 AM CST
It's not an either/or type of decision. Train both and have a set of each accessible, because they're each going to have their niches. For the moment you might as well train all 7 by swapping out one piece of equipment, like leg gear.

Just take your armor off to work stealth.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/huldahspal/flyingcompany.png
Re: Armor Questions 12/28/2009 01:33 PM CST
<<and have invis rings/cloak for this guy if hiding becomes a MUST.
<<You're aware invis is just a bonus to hiding ranks, + the ability to "sneak" with no RT right? You can be pointed out of invis just like hiding.

And that there's a four hour timer on an individual ring, with a two hour timer on using multiple rings? Pretty sure the cloaks had a timer put in place as well... I want to say an hour.

-Evran

* Prophet Hotoke Fuku-Nyorai snuck out of the shadow he was hiding in.
Re: Armor Questions 12/28/2009 11:58 PM CST
Plate has been fine for me up through celps. I use HP/LP (LP chest, HP accessories). For the most part I've not worried about how many enemies engage me. I've not been killed (in a single hit) by open rolls, though I've died plenty of times because of my own stupidity.

YS is handy. With it up, I evade. Without it up, I don't evade. I end up stancing down a lot to move armors once I'm toward the cap for whatever I'm hunting.

I suspect that you're looking for a change of pace with this character. An HP/LP set up will let you play around with being a tank swarmed by angry dudes, which is much different than playing stealth.

I'm not saying you can't do all that in chain. I used HC/LC for a while and still work it in.

With the way things are right now, evasion is so important that, in my experience, the evasion penalty outweighs the protection plate provides to us. This is less true with YS up, but it's easy to lose track of the spell. For example, I take less damage wearing cloth in celps than I do wearing plate. I have enough cloth ranks that my hinderance is very small. I simply evade most everything that comes my way, and the things that do hit me get reduced a good deal by evasion. MAF takes care of the rest. I get hit more wearing plate, but they are often weaker blows; however, I can stay in combat longer in cloth.

I still think you should do plate. Armor is going to be less silly in the near future. And you can always backtrain things while you train magics. Some day soon general magic ranks will be the bane of your existence.

Avaya <--Not female.
(But supportive)
Gnome WM of TF
AIM: AvayaTF
Re: Armor Questions 03/05/2010 08:29 AM CST
Appreciating the armor chatter....coming back into things after 4 years hiatus and decided to pick up YS and venture into Plate town.

I remember Axillus talking about multi armor setups and just eating the penalty in order to train everything. I am wondering if it wouldn't be more efficient to have two armor setups (Light/heavy plate and Light /heavy chain) or mix 3-4 armors to train em all. Also would appreciate suggestions on where to buy some chest and limb plate accesories. Currently wearing...

a silver gilt hauberk
a visored chain helm
a crocodile-skin buckler
a pair of bronze gauntlet

Skillz:
Shield Usage: 56 36% clear (0/34) Leather Armor: 34 45% clear (0/34)
Light Chain: 75 78% clear (0/34)
Heavy Chain: 39 67% clear (0/34)
Light Plate: 45 01% clear (0/34)

Currently not much of a stealther but backtraining it along.