New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/04/2009 07:53 PM CDT
just what the title says. I'm starting a new warmie and am wondering what armor I should train? Bone? LightChain? HeavyPlate? To get to circle 100 we only need 6 survival skills to be at 130, so I don't need to Hide and stalk and steal... so without needing high survival skills (not to mention they're tert) what kind of armor is good? I've no way to search the forums so I just thought of this as a good place to ask. I'm really leaning towards bone or LC at the moment, but not even leather or HP is out of the question. Feedback, suggestions, and/or advice? All from Any is Welcome (just like Jesus, but that's another topic) Thanks!
Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/04/2009 08:05 PM CDT
Heavy chain/light plate.

Serve you well they will.

bone is for crazy mages, like to hide.

But if you get 140+ locks disarm, you don't need hiding.

HC even covers eyes.

If there were no cost or sacrifice involved, there wouldn't be any benefits worth learning, and the entire system would be pointless. --GM Wythor

These statements were not endorsed or made by a GM and may be completely irrealavent to game play.
Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/04/2009 08:10 PM CDT
Welcome to the guild!

You don't really want to train just to the minimum reqs: People that do tend to become 'paper tigers'- that is, strong hitting but not well able to defend themselves if magic should fail. And it has happened during invasions and so on.

The jury is still out on cloth and bone armors, though it is true that cloth is not something a melee fighter wants to wear. Most war mages, if they aren't interested in stealth, choose a metal armor of whatever kind. I've seen a few who were quite successful in plate, though my war mages mostly train chain for the good compromise between protection and hindrance.

Whichever armor you choose, train shield! There are a number of situations in which shield is your salvation, and since the advent of arm-worn shields and the ability to adjust regular shields to such, it is easy to train.

Have fun!

Player of...

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/04/2009 08:13 PM CDT
Y'ntrel Sechra is your very special friend.

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer
Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/04/2009 09:29 PM CDT
So there really isn't that much difference between the light and heavy versions of armor, chain and plate... maybe the weight and that's it? I'm thinking Light Chain so far... and shield.
Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/04/2009 10:25 PM CDT
Most light plate doesn't protect as well as the heavy plate- though I do have a pair of forged LP gauntlets that works well enough. Other than that, you've got a pretty good handle on it. :)

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/04/2009 10:56 PM CDT
<<bone is for crazy mages, like to hide.
Cackle!

-Stayn
Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/05/2009 12:00 AM CDT
yes, no mechanical difference.

Only Hc has visors though, no LC masks, etc that have eye protection, so is good reason to wear both.

If there were no cost or sacrifice involved, there wouldn't be any benefits worth learning, and the entire system would be pointless. --GM Wythor

These statements were not endorsed or made by a GM and may be completely irrealavent to game play.
Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/05/2009 12:08 AM CDT
Balaclava
Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/05/2009 12:14 AM CDT
swing by cursing with one?

I believe that's a myth, at least with the new ones, maybe an old one, pre armor update?

Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/05/2009 12:21 AM CDT
believe you can get LC helm with head/neck/eyes in Ratha.
Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/05/2009 12:27 AM CDT
I've worn a balaclava for years and years and years from shard. It's neutral chain. I don't think there are any inherently light chain eye helms.
Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/05/2009 12:33 AM CDT
This one is from shard. As others have said, I believe they're neutral.

>app balac careful
The chain balaclava is light chain.

The balaclava looks like it offers protection for the following areas:

head
neck
right eye
left eye

You feel certain that a chain balaclava appears to impose light maneuvering hindrance and insignificant stealth hindrance, offering:
good protection and moderate damage absorption for puncture attacks.
good protection and moderate damage absorption for slice attacks.
good protection and moderate damage absorption for impact attacks.
moderate protection and moderate damage absorption for fire attacks.
moderate protection and moderate damage absorption for cold attacks.
low protection and moderate damage absorption for electrical attacks.

If you were only wearing a chain balaclava you could expect your maneuvering to be minimally hindered and your stealth to be minimally hindered.

You are certain that the chain balaclava is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

The chain balaclava is made with metal.
The chain balaclava is quite supple.
You think it is likely that the chain balaclava weighs about 95 stones.
You are certain that the chain balaclava is worth exactly 58 dokoras.
Roundtime: 16 seconds.

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386A.V.
Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/05/2009 12:36 AM CDT
new?

Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/05/2009 12:52 AM CDT
<<new?

Yes.

-Evran

Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/05/2009 01:50 AM CDT
Have used the Balaclava from shard since late 99 or early 2000, can't remember which since I bought it when I bought the Racial armor.. and yes, it is Neutral chain as mine leans towards HC right now due to all my HC ranks.. though I do wish it was possible to find LC that covered Everything, cause I am trying to swap to HP, but am more than willing to mix some armors as well.. but can't find LC all covering helm or gloves. Ahhh well..

On another note.. as the others have said, welcome to the guild.. and please please do not neglect stuff just because it is tert.. I did that for years, quite a few years ago, before I went on break and am regretting it so much now.. backtraining constantly to make up for it. If not for the new ease to get things up to at least 100 ranks or so now.. I would have just rerolled and started over.. wuld have been easier lol.

Listen to these guys and girls.. they can and will give you great advice if yu let them.. I had to ask for alot when I came back a short bit ago on spells.. and so far they have all be great help to me... thanks all.

Sarset
Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/05/2009 01:56 AM CDT
It's very possible to forge true LC or HC gloves.
Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/05/2009 05:42 AM CDT
Currently there is no shop LC helm, both the coif on Ratha and the balaclava from Shard are neutral chain.

A shop in Haven sells a visored chain helm that protects head/neck/eyes but is HC.

Some opt to purchase the forged chain helm and get with it a leather eye mask to protect their eyes. I say some because some mentioned armor penalties from doing this and would rather not have that added leather.

In the lore folder under smithing I had asked that under the new creation system they include visored chain helms to protect our eyes. Here's hoping that we see them in the new forging.

My warmage wore LC for years then changed to LC main (forged hauberk) and a shop visored chain helm (HC) and forged HC gloves. Wearing both chains you won't see the penalties some see from mixing chain with leather or chain with plate etc.

Welcome to the guild young warrior!

Don't let the 'tert' stuff get you down, just give yourself goals and if they're important to you, you'll train for them and they will come.
Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/05/2009 05:46 AM CDT
yeah but how much does perfectly forged armor go for? Can you get me some? Sheesh.
Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/05/2009 05:48 AM CDT
Seriously, if it says it is Light Chain, where is there an argument? It is plainly stated for everyone to see... even with 1 rank in appraisal you can tell what type armor it is.
Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/05/2009 10:08 AM CDT
This...

"Most war mages, if they aren't interested in stealth, choose a metal armor of whatever kind. I've seen a few who were quite successful in plate,..."

and this...

"Y'ntrel Sechra is your very special friend."

Needing to train main weapon up fairly close to TM, it only makes sense you have decent protection. Oh, and don't forget the shield.
Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/05/2009 10:57 AM CDT
If you want a price on forged armors, check the trader tables and stalls. Most traders set up in Crossing, since it is a central location. Sometimes traders will sell in Haven or Shard too. Armorsmiths take a lot of pride in their work, so they won't offer shoddy merchandise.

Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/05/2009 12:33 PM CDT
Shop Goose Family Discounts for low cost armor!

~Arwinia

The Empath spellbook is a riddle trapped in an enigma hidden inside a lot of suck.-Armifer
Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/05/2009 12:50 PM CDT
>>Shop Goose Family Discounts for low cost armor!

Do they travel around? Haven't seen the Goose tables open in a while. =|

Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/05/2009 12:54 PM CDT
>>Do they travel around? Haven't seen the Goose tables open in a while. =|

Real life ownage =(

Such is life when you bring home a baby macaw, it's like feeding an infant round the clock again. Juggling that with a toddler and work is painful.

We have a few people that have access to the trader, if you need anything and you don't see him around feel free to email me and I can nudge somebody to logon for a few.

~Arwinia

The Empath spellbook is a riddle trapped in an enigma hidden inside a lot of suck.-Armifer
Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/05/2009 01:07 PM CDT
No issue was just curious =] Hope everything settles down for ya soon.
Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/05/2009 02:37 PM CDT
You can't forge chain armor that protects the eyes though. Although I hear forging 2.0 will be out soon.
Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/05/2009 02:47 PM CDT
simu soon...

Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/05/2009 03:00 PM CDT
<<Seriously, if it says it is Light Chain, where is there an argument? It is plainly stated for everyone to see... even with 1 rank in appraisal you can tell what type armor it is

Neutral Armour. The type you see with appraisal is based off your skills if its neutral armour. So JoeBob with more HC than LC will see and be taught heavy chain. MarySue with more LC than HC will see and be taught LC on the same piece of equipment. I forget which one takes precedence if they're equal. The same goes for neutral versions of plate.

Since a large portion of generic storebought armour is neutral, the concern then is that there is no inherently LC only helms with eye protecion readily available. The options are fine for those with higher LC, but the players with HC higher have far less options.

Neutral armour can also be a pain if your armour skills are neck and neck since it could potentially swap and screw up your setup, although admittedly this is only really likely to happen at low ranks.

-Evran

Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/05/2009 03:05 PM CDT
>I forget which one takes precedence if they're equal.

I believe that's LC, since it's listed first under exp.

>Neutral armour can also be a pain if your armour skills are neck and neck since it could potentially swap and screw up your setup, although admittedly this is only really likely to happen at low ranks.

Agreed. I always prefer non-neutral armor if possible, but with LC head pieces you really don't have a choice.
Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/06/2009 07:10 PM CDT
>app coif
The visored chain coif is light chain.

The coif looks like it offers protection for the following areas:

head
neck
right eye
left eye

Bought this in Ratha at the forge
Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/06/2009 09:28 PM CDT
The coif is also neutral...
Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/07/2009 01:42 PM CDT
Neutral armor is annoying as all get out. We need better NPC armor shops. Not better apps, just more thorough inventories. We should be able to put together a set of armor where we are able to pick what each slot will teach. Ie, dedicated LC/HC/LP/HP for each slot that covers each part of the body.
Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/10/2009 11:43 PM CDT
Agreed, but none of us have said control....

Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/11/2009 07:39 PM CDT
>> Agreed, but none of us have said control....

SQUEAKY WHEEL
Re: New Warmie Asking for Armor Advice 08/12/2009 06:10 AM CDT
Oil

Pomae

Any questions and/or comments can be sent to me at Mod-Pomae@Play.net, or Senior Board Moderator Annwyl at dr-annwyl@play.net or Board Supervisor Cecco at DR-Cecco@Play.net