Hunting my level 05/11/2009 08:21 AM CDT
I am having some problems finding appropriate level creatures to hunt without getting stomped. I am currently hunting tresses because they still move my skills, but I am 52nd circle now and feel that with my stats and defenses I should at least be in deadwood dryads, fendryads, or baby gryphons.

My combat stats are:
STR: 35 REF: 35
STA: 35 AGI: 30

My primary weapon is 2HB at 188
my defenses:
Heavy plate 199 Evasion 201
Shield 203 Parry 172 (but I keep that stanced down to 1% just to keep it moving)

While hunting I keep up a capped YS for the plate, as well as SF and SW. Am I doing it wrong?
Re: Hunting my level 05/11/2009 09:04 AM CDT
What does your multi look like? Your parry is a shade low for fendryads, but the shield should more than make up for it.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Hunting my level 05/11/2009 09:34 AM CDT
ah, sorry, Multi is 201
Re: Hunting my level 05/11/2009 09:39 AM CDT
Hmm- Well, I really don't know what's holding you down then. Sorry!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

Re: Hunting my level 05/11/2009 09:42 AM CDT
Perhaps, I should specifiy a bit more. They arent stomping me (well, sometimes when I get four on me it can get a little hairy), but they do still hit me, and light hits add up after awhile.

I prefer to play it safe and hunt (not dance), critters that cant hit me very often if at all.
Re: Hunting my level 05/11/2009 09:55 AM CDT
::chuckles:: Then you hunt like I do.

Now- I had a bit more parry to go along with my weapons, but a lot less shield. I also tend to use lighter armors- Chain with plate accessories. And for a long time before that, I wore leather. You might find the Lang peccs and trolls, and the occasional fendryad, are still a good fit for you. But 4 of any critter that you don't seriously outclass is going to be a challenge.

Otherwise, you could look at the black leucroes, or even the red ones if you have enough climbing to get over the log and expand your hunting area: When they gen well, the red pups are decent teachers.

I admit to being a bit biased, as I'm not familiar with the P 5 critters.

Ryeka

Re: Hunting my level 05/11/2009 02:47 PM CDT
With those numbers maybe try Thugs in Undershard area. Oh, and the occasional Stalker there too, can give you a reason to pay attention. Good luck!
Re: Hunting my level 05/11/2009 04:19 PM CDT
I am going to not assume anything, but my skills are this

parry 123 (within 2%)
HE is 144
Multi is 132 (1% away, just rounding these up for even numbers)

shield 132
HP is 123
HC is 119

Evasion is 119

I am sitting in Tier 1 goblins right now, they cant teach me squat for Targetted but they are great for teaching my other skills.

While Dancing with them I do not know YS, but a Capped Sure Footing, and Swirling winds more than makes up the difference for me, If I dont have Winds casted on me they tend to beat me senseless...have you tried adding both those spells to your YS or have you and I just missed it... ok, yeah I missed it, I plugged yer stats into DRPlats little critter gitter thing

and says you could be doing Fendryads on Lang, as well as Swampies there, Tier 3 Snoblins, Thugs in Throne City..sheesh you got a lot of choices.

I am Envious.
Re: Hunting my level 05/11/2009 06:03 PM CDT
Been using this site,click on the "Critter" section
http://www.drplat.com/
Re: Hunting my level 05/11/2009 07:36 PM CDT
One last thing to keep an eye on is your burden, as that can lower your effective defenses. Maybe think about using EASE to help with that possible issue.

~Kyn (Kynevon)

DR-SOCHARIS
Attempting to update appraisal is like sticking my head face-first into a bucket of angry weasels.
Re: Hunting my level 05/12/2009 03:02 AM CDT
I'd say either pecc's or go to p5 to ogres, tho i think it has changed since i was there. Used to be stumpy and giant blight ogres. Now i think there are less skilled ilithi ogres but if you have more than 1 person hunting the area the giants come out. Pecc's should do you well till you can get into baby gryphons. I started with around 200 in offense and defense. With our buff spells i did fine. Im still there and they are still teaching greatly.
Re: Hunting my level 05/12/2009 07:49 AM CDT
if you don't mind non-box dropping critters red leucros should do you very well though. But keep an eye on them they can get hairy at those levels.

[Space For Rent]
Re: Hunting my level 05/12/2009 07:02 PM CDT
Thank you all for the responses!

I have had some interesting experiances since I last posted. Went to Ratha, apparently if you go through this valve thing you meet mama Kra'hei. Well, they snap cast..that didnt end well, several times LOL.

I have been slowly working my way through your suggestions in order to find a place I am comfortable with. I didnt have the climbing for red leucro's which was a shame.

Thanks for all your help!
Re: Hunting my level 05/13/2009 10:30 AM CDT
<<I have been slowly working my way through your suggestions in order to find a place I am comfortable with. I didnt have the climbing for red leucro's which was a shame.

Just a suggestion train swimmin and climbing now. Believe me when you get to the point of needing to travel taking ferrys and the dreaded gondola is a pain.

Plus tdp's that's always a bonus.
Re: Hunting my level 05/27/2009 08:54 AM CDT
This post is a little late for you but if you are still working your way trough what to hunt here are some more ideas.

Thugs in Throne city will work you good at those levels as long as you keep your shield up and your burden to resonable.

Thungs and such in Undershard the Spire area. EZE and great teaching to well past 250 if you tingle the shields/weapons out of their hands. The ocasionall Alpah Stalker (alpha meaning only one in the area at the time there is never more than one) will give you a hard time you can either just walk away from it or try play with it if you got Ice Patch or Frostbite they are suseptable to cold despite being undead.

Peccs/Swamp trolls in Lang. You can do Fens as well as long as you keep your shield up to protect against thorns and use either Frost to drop them so you can hit them or tingle their axes out of their hands. I'd stay near the entrance with peccs/Swamp trolls if you don't like taking chances.

Lach in Abyss but you will have to set yourself up with a Cleric friend to get you into the area. GREAT hunting they are at same level as Undershard Spire thugs and such and teach well past 250, sneakable so teach perception, skinable, drop boxes AND have no armor or weapons so easy to hit.

Scout Ogres/Warcats. Again you'd have to make sure your shields up and out at all times they should be relatively eze yet teach you well enough.

Third Tier Snowblins. However that area can get swarmy and you may get hit if you are not fast enough on Tingle to make them drop their clubs. By the way you have to try pick up the clubs after you tingle to make sure they do NOT get the club back.

Genie. Yes Genie would be real good for you as well up north of Crossing. You'd need SUF and SW up but you will have no problem hunting those up to 3 of them with your skills. Just have to figgure out a way in as a non ranger/thief you need nearly 300 in perception to see the trail in. There is a nice climbable tree in the middle of the top hunting Genie area that is safe. Great to teach you climbing well past 200 so you just need someone to lead you in. Can sit in the tree eat herbs if you do get hit and only come out once you loaded down with boxes/gems/coins.

Clouded Arzumo out west of Shard near Horse Clan. Again your shield has to be out as well as SUF and SW. Tricky as they knock you down with their special attack. However would teach you great at those ranks.

Vurkathi Hive under the Warmage Fortress near the Garg/Snowies in north Illith. Got to stay near the entrance. That place is very much fun but tricky to hunt in. A war mages learning dream if you don't mind not being able to gweth or hear gweths, getting lost as the maze changes. Once you learn the ropes of that place it is a War Mages learning dream.

There are a few other places. As a War Mage you typically have a very WIDE hunting range due to the number of good defencive spells such as SUF, SW and YS and disabling spells such as Tingle, Static Discharge, Shockwave etc., making life eze at level ranks wise or giving you the ability to strech and overhunt if you don't mind living on the edge.

Hope this helps
Re: Hunting my level 06/16/2009 04:46 PM CDT
I know this tread is ages old, but I have to give my advice here because I was in your exact same predicament.

First off, I use 2HB as one of my primaries as well, HP/LP and shield as well. It's very hard to parry with 2HB (I use a mattock) to start with, so you're best off in a shield/dodge position when in melee with something you don't want to take damage from (anything other than a vine or a very weak critter).

With the skills you have now, it's actually a very big pain trying to find a good match, I hunted all around, but I did take tresses to just at 200s (and about 180 or 190 in evasion/shield) in combats, then moved into black leucros up in crossing, I'd dance with 2, then 3 at a time, eliminating the 3rd or 4th when they arrived. With about 215-220 in multi/parry you'll be able to dance with 4 leucros (assuming you have your
YS/SW up) with no problems at all. From leucros, I personally moved up into blight ogres up in P5, I would tingle them so they dropped their mattocks, and there are a couple not-too-shabby mana rooms there too.

Also, it is critical to keep your hindrance at zero, if you don't, I can assure you
that you'll get nearly destroyed by everything, its amazing how big a difference it makes. I was getting stomped just like you with only light/somewhat burdened until I scrapped all the useless stuff I was carrying and it made all the difference.

Honestly, I never fought fendryads or swamp trolls up that way for serious training so I couldn't tell you how those would work out for you. All I can say is that once I left black leucros (around 230 in multi/parry) I couldn't stand against baby or young/fledgling gryphons fully spelled up, I did a lot of testing around. The only reason I didn't hit deadwood dryads/nyads is because I didn't want to deal with their webbing which is why I ended up at blight ogres at the time.

Like I said earlier, I noticed it's very hard to parry with 2HB weapons, so I'd make sure there were less critters on me when I trained parry.

Hope this helps, let me know what you end up finding.
Re: Hunting my level 06/16/2009 04:50 PM CDT
>>Also, it is critical to keep your hindrance at zero, if you don't, I can assure you<<

What I meant to say here was ENCUMBRANCE, not hindrance, heh
Re: Hunting my level 06/17/2009 09:52 PM CDT
One more note, I may have mislead you, you can most likely take about 2 baby forest gryphons melee while fully spelled up, some friends and I did some testing, those would be great, because the mana there is awesome in several spots
Re: Hunting my level 06/24/2009 12:56 PM CDT
Gryphons are good, in shard there are alot less swarmy rooms where only one or two come in at any given moment. You can also use SD to help you in a swarm. I also found earth sense lets you add 1-2 more critters for a few minutes before they start getting good hits in. Around 250ish you should be able to take on the swarm of 4 with no issues. I just hit 280 shield and evasion and i don't have to use SW there anymore.