Getting Tired of Getting Wacked 07/18/2008 08:56 PM CDT
I'm a new War Mage. I have 7 circles under my belt. I decided early on that I would train plate armor. I'm using a mix of heavy and light plate. The hinderance is driving me crazy! I have 30 in each of the armors. I also have 33 in multi, parry, evasion and shield. Every time I try to move up the creature ladder from the goblins, I get beat up pretty fast.

I know YS will eventually ease this hinderance but I know I could be hunting much higher if I was using some different armor. I did train chains up to 10. Will I be better off down the road if I just push on with the plate armor or should I just switch to chain?

I don't really care about stealth. I'm a toe to toe fighter. Do I just need to max out every critter in order to move up the critter ladder?

My wife: How do you win Dragon Realms?
Me: It's not a game you win or lose. It's just fun to play.
My wife: It's stupid to play a game that you can't win.
Re: Getting Tired of Getting Wacked 07/18/2008 09:25 PM CDT
If I were you, I'd simply wear less armor until you work the hinderance down. You could try a cloth robe and plate accessories. You'll do much, much better.
Re: Getting Tired of Getting Wacked 07/18/2008 09:44 PM CDT
Or just start with chain and add plate once you get YS. You'll develop a small skill gap, but it isn't like 50 ranks in armor really does much anyway.

-Sephos
Re: Getting Tired of Getting Wacked 07/18/2008 09:54 PM CDT
>Or just start with chain and add plate once you get YS. You'll develop a small skill gap, but it isn't like 50 ranks in armor really does much anyway.

Well yeah, except a full suit of chain will be pretty hindering as well.

Although my WM trained 5 armors, bone, chain, and plate. If I were still playing him actively I'd probably try to narrow that down to 3 or 4 armors, but it is doable with patience and forged accessories.

I actually didn't have time to change his armor out for the TF n00b battle, and he still managed to win in piecemail armor. Get SuF, and SW up as soon as you can. If you have the scholarship for it, invoke a SOP scroll. Throw in YS asap and you'll be handling the hinderance in no time.
Re: Getting Tired of Getting Wacked 07/18/2008 10:14 PM CDT
I'd just stick with the plate.
Re: Getting Tired of Getting Wacked 07/19/2008 06:45 AM CDT
>I don't really care about stealth. I'm a toe to toe fighter. Do I just need to max out every critter in order to move up the critter ladder?

Stick with Plate. In the long run it will pay off. In the short run you will take lumps. Sure Foot is a friend, so is YS and especially Swirling Winds. Once you get those three you will not have this problem. For the time being. Stance either your Parry to 100% or your Shield to 100% with evasion at 80% at all times than switch back and forth between Parry and Shield at 100% to keep both moving once the one you are moving is locked. Bit tricky but works for the time being.

I wore plate when I was a wee scrub and ALWAYS had burden heavy burden so remember the pain. Stancing Parry or Block to 100% significantly reduced the amount of punishment I took as either of those forms of defence are much better than Evasion when you are burdened/hindered.
Re: Getting Tired of Getting Wacked 07/19/2008 07:26 AM CDT
You don't need to max out every critter but you might want to overlap them a little. What did you go to after goblins?
Re: Getting Tired of Getting Wacked 07/19/2008 11:41 AM CDT
The plate is worth it. When you can afford it, talk with a armor forger about the lightest weight plate armor you can get. Go with a half plate, greaves setup it seems to be less hindering then full body armor.

You might also use a small tanned armworn shield to start with, they have pretty low hinderance.

I think you also see a hinderance drop at about 40 ranks in armor so things should be getting better soon.

Wabo
Re: Getting Tired of Getting Wacked 07/20/2008 11:25 AM CDT
I was hunting the gobs in crossing. I then went to the eels. I also tried cougars. The eels and cougars both hit me frequently. The eels just turn me into a pin cushon but the cougars really hurt. I'm open to any hunting suggestions.

Risorn

Re: Getting Tired of Getting Wacked 07/20/2008 11:35 AM CDT
I don't know if this is the best way, but it worked for me.

I tried to get HP going when I first started. My hubo said it was the posh and was worth getting hammered for in your first training stages. I couldn't do squat in it though.

So I checked the spells and saw that YS was a 20th requirement and built my spellbook so that I could get it as soon as I hit 20th (have to keep spell slot open from 18th.) Until then I trained in leather almost exclusively. I also didn't know about forged sets, I thought it was just froo froo crap. Jhime's warmage HP set is worth it's weight in platinum.

If you want TDP's, which I highly suggest (I didn't go this route), I'd mix it up with LC/HC/leather until 20th, then if you still want to mix and match AND have HP...you'll have deadened your penalty with YS and some prior skills. When I hit 20th I did the HP accessories thing, gaunt, helm and greaves with leather torso protection until I got like...70 ranks? It's been HP only ever since, which is just poor planning really. Deal with the penalty and mix it up. We get enough buffs that most times it just brings us on par with other guilds, hunting wise.

If you just want to wear HP gauntlets all the way up though, that might work too.

Going to have to burn a slot on YS though it's going to be your buddy from now till you die/get mad go to WOW. Can't be your best, as a warmage in HP, without it.

At 57th circle (when I got a forged set) I was insignificantly hindered with a near-cap YS on and a worn capped AEG.

Red'

Redeth smiles and points at you with her right hand, then taps herself in the chest with her left. She raises both her hands in the air and whirls both around and then brings them together in a sharp crack of flesh on flesh.

Translation: go time
Re: Getting Tired of Getting Wacked 07/20/2008 06:23 PM CDT
>>I was hunting the gobs in crossing. I then went to the eels. I also tried cougars. The eels and cougars both hit me frequently. The eels just turn me into a pin cushon but the cougars really hurt. I'm open to any hunting suggestions.

Try beisswurms, but be super careful for another 10-20 ranks there. You might be able to handle a couple at a time, but the area gen is pretty yoyo-ish and beisswurms in larger numbers generally means death.

If you're feeling like you have to go back to goblins, though, then the safest best will probably be the trollkin, badgers, and pothanits in the brambles. The gen there is 3 per room or something similar, so you probably won't die unless you're being inattentive and greedy.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Getting Tired of Getting Wacked 07/21/2008 09:30 AM CDT
Did you try my suggestion? Cloth or leather body with plate accessories. Although I'd recommend cloth to drop hinderance quickly.
Re: Getting Tired of Getting Wacked 07/24/2008 09:51 PM CDT
I was out of town for a few days so I'm just getting back. I decided to just struggle through with the half plate and light plate accessories. The eels don't beat me up too badly so I've just been going in 5 minutes at a time and locking all of my defenses and then training my weapons on the goblins. It is working pretty well.

Thank you all for your advice.

Risorn

Re: Getting Tired of Getting Wacked 07/31/2008 09:44 AM CDT
Goblins cap at 40. You need to stretch them out.
Re: Getting Tired of Getting Wacked 08/03/2008 01:25 PM CDT
Your stats will last you a long time, but you should work on raising your mentals to at LEAST 15 and your Reflex to about the same as soon as you can. This will help you learn and therefore circle faster, and Reflex will help you a lot with staying alive, particularly in HP. Your STR will last you at least until 30th or so at the moment.

As far as spells go, everyone says "omg gar zeng" for learning, but honestly with Energy Bolt and the teaching changes, you will have no problem getting the TM you need to circle regardless of the spell you take.

Must have spells in my opinion are ES, Swirling Winds, and when you get further along, YS.

Frost Scythe/Stone Fist are good for making weapons, yes.

I can't comment on Tailwind as I've never had or used it.

Now the other part.

Your physical stats massively outclass your others. I realize this is mostly due to the racial bonus, but they are far higher than you'll need. Str, while not a BAD stat for WM's, is not really a stat you'll need to stack. As far as physical stats go, you'd be better off with Agility, as it will aid your spell accuracy.

Stamina is always good and your number should last you awhile.

With your HP, you're going to want reflex to help you out with how hard it's going to be to evade things until you get the ranks to remove some hinderance. Swirling Winds and Sure Footing will help you in this area as well.

Get something other than a sling. Anything. LT, HT, A bow, something else. Slings are not currently worth the trouble to train.

What is your character concept? What kind of spells are you interested in as you progress? Where do you want to be when you're 30th? Think about those questions, and when you have answers to them it'll be easier to help you get on the path to getting there and make spell choices.

But for now, mentals.

- Starlear -
Warrior Mage, Water and Air Cabalist.