A Familiar Present 02/07/2011 04:55 PM CST
So I woke up the other day, took my place in a class, and sat down for a bit to test the limits of a new piece of cambrinth. As I was reaching for the item in my pack, I came across a little grey mouse stowed away in my belongings. Now, I know mice are considered delicacies amongst the Prydaen, and maybe a few other races, but I'm human, and have no desire to find a mouse and stow it away, for ANY reason whatsoever. How in Zoluren did this mouse end up in MY pack!? I pulled it out to make sure it wasn't eating anything only to realize that it wasn't moving.

I probably shouldn't have, but I took a moment to examine it anyways. It wasn't magically put in my bags, it seemed fairly dead, unedible, and had no remarkable smell. It didn't have a discernible magic pattern, or anything of the sort. It was just a plain, every day, grey mouse. Dead. In the bottom of my pack. Needless to say, now at the bottom of a firewood bin. I made a quick trip to Orem's afterwards to clean up, wondering what kind of diseases the mouse might have carried or left behind. All I know, is I better not find any bits of paper from my spellbook floating around in the bottom of my pack or mixed into anything else that was in there.

Even though the mysterious dead mouse is gone, I'm still wondering why and how it got where it did. The only conclusion my classmates and I could come up with was that my owl left it there as a present, but she's never done anything like that before. Hopefully, somebody has some input, because I'm truly at a loss here. Wow, just recalling it makes me want to visit the hot pool in Orem's again.
Re: A Familiar Present 02/07/2011 05:15 PM CST
It's entirely possible that a thief slipped it in there when you weren't looking.

Which would be worse? To live as a monster or to die as a good man?
Re: A Familiar Present 02/07/2011 08:06 PM CST
Either a thief slipped it there, you DUMPed a container like a treasure box that had it inside into your pack, or you were using STOW and typoed without noticing or are using too short an abbreviation. e.g. mo for moonstone could conceivably stow a mouse. They're fairly common drops.

-Evran

Gay, geeky, and a little bit cheeky.
Re: A Familiar Present 02/07/2011 10:20 PM CST
I think the grey mouse is from the live food cage they have at meetings/mentor events. 1 bite portions that crunch or make you feel bad you just ate it. Usually they run off or get away if you don't eat it in a few minutes, I've managed to snag a few before and keep one as a pet. Dead mice are pretty common, don't think I've ever seen a white or grey one from a critter drop though.

They just smoke a little when you heat em up with burning touch, nothing neat like this though:

A field mouse scampers between a red-bristled gremlin's legs. Quick as lightning, the gremlin snatches up the helpless rodent and holds it aloft, chanting in a screechy voice. Suddenly, the mouse's fur bursts into flame! The gremlin casually tosses its thrashing, squeaking victim to the ground, cackling in delight as the small creature darts off like a bolt of fire through the underbrush.

The agonized squeaking in the underbrush finally stops.

I love this game.

The fabric of the universe seems to wobble momentarily. Uh, what did you just do?
Re: A Familiar Present 02/07/2011 11:17 PM CST
yeah, its totally worth it!
but as far as the mouse goes, I can't recall a single thing I've done lately that would constitute me getting a random mouse in my bags. I remember having some syntax issues with a moonstone, but that wasn't picking it up. I apparently saw it in my gem pouch, after trying to look at the moons. As for stowing it, I don't actually STOW any other loot than gems, coins, or boxes. and that is in the form of stow gem, get coin, or stow box. Dump would be a no-go, as I don't dump anything with this character. My best bet would be a thief slipping it in, but why would they do that? It just seems a totally random thing to slip in my bag, when I haven't had any real RP encounters with any thieves, lately.

It was kinda fun, though, finding it. Oh, and my owl didn't want to eat it, either. I thought it fairly odd, she being an owl and all. I should have tried flashpoint, or burning touch though, coulda been more fun.
Re: A Familiar Present 02/07/2011 11:21 PM CST
yeah, they don't eat food items, just herbs and other foraged junk. Otherwise I think there'd be a buncha bear winos hanging out at the bars.

I'd say slip, unless for some reason it noticable crawled in there. Or you forgot or never knew you had it (i have issues with items turning invisible in containers).

The fabric of the universe seems to wobble momentarily. Uh, what did you just do?