What?! 04/11/2009 11:23 AM CDT
>> Your mind hears Ehku thinking, "If Grendels aren't undead, why does my dinezen olkar spell collapse because of their undead nature?"
>> Your mind hears Aristarchos thinking, "because you're casting at min prep Ehku."

I've been playing DR since 2000, and I never knew this. I tried casting FRS on a grendel once, got the 'fails due to undeadness' message, and assumed that TM spells just didn't work on undead critters, and have operated under that knowledge ever since. I must've gone up and down the WTH list a thousand times saying to myself "Hmm, what about this...nope, undead" and so on.

Although it feels good to finally be enlightened, I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

~Asclepto

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"
Re: What?! 04/11/2009 11:29 AM CDT
IIRC, technically they're both right. Undead/cursed have higher MR, which is overcome by higher prep. Grendels aren't necessarily undead, but cursed.

-TG, TG, & GL, et al.
Re: What?! 04/11/2009 02:03 PM CDT
In my head I just split up everything into ghosts and zombies. If it's a ghost you don't/can't use magic and if it's a zombie just amp up the mana.

Ghosts being anything that's spirit, spectral, transparent etc. Basically almost everything requiring a bless.

Zombies being everything else that would fit in the undead or cursed categories.

The popular terms most people use IG are non-corporal and corporal undead.

We had a war mage meeting last week and a LOT of people didn't know that. So laugh and don't cry.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n142/Sirzason/wmsheet2.jpg

a black panther comes flying into view! it hits the ground, bouncing once before sliding to a stop.
A black panther is stunned!
Re: What?! 04/11/2009 04:29 PM CDT
"In my head I just split up everything into ghosts and zombies. If it's a ghost you don't/can't use magic and if it's a zombie just amp up the mana.

Ghosts being anything that's spirit, spectral, transparent etc. Basically almost everything requiring a bless.

Zombies being everything else that would fit in the undead or cursed categories.

The popular terms most people use IG are non-corporal and corporal undead."

There is one exception to that that I have found so far, and those are the blight Bats, they are corporeal, but even at a 20 prep with Aether lash, they...well their magic kind of negates my magic and I cant do anything to them.
Re: What?! 04/12/2009 09:31 PM CDT
>There is one exception to that that I have found so far, and those are the blight Bats, they are corporeal, but even at a 20 prep with Aether lash, they...well their magic kind of negates my magic and I cant do anything to them.

Marble gargs are like that too. Some creatures are just specifically coded to be immune to magic. But generally, the ghost or zombie classification is accurate.