Prev_page Previous 1
More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 01:14 AM CDT
Ember Mage

Holocaust (I can see people's argument here, but whatever.. it's a word.) I think it should be one used for a mage knowing the entire fire manipulation spellbook.

1. a great or complete devastation or destruction, esp. by fire. (First referred definition, not mass slaughter caused by WW2)

Smolderer
Flare

"There's a time in all of our lives when we have the opportunity to choose between what is easy... and what is right."
Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 01:16 AM CDT
I like the aboved mention of the title suggestion for Mark of Arhat, Magic Marker.. hehe.

"There's a time in all of our lives when we have the opportunity to choose between what is easy... and what is right."
Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 07:45 AM CDT
>Holocaust (I can see people's argument here, but whatever.. it's a word.) I think it should be one used for a mage knowing the entire fire manipulation spellbook.

While it does have a true word, I think it would be inapropriate to use it as a title honestly. It is a politically charged with great personal meaning to a select group.

It would be like allowing a <racial slang> pre-title for all humans with non-white skin. Sure, there're legitimate meanings for those words nearly every time, but they mean something else, something hurtful, in common parlance.

Perhaps a synonym of it?
Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 08:46 AM CDT
Is there an Apocalypse title? How about "Fiery Doom"?

Axillus - Halfling Warrior Mage
If I knew the way I would take you home
Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 08:47 AM CDT
Oh oh- I got one --- Blazer

Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 11:23 AM CDT
<<While it does have a true word, I think it would be inapropriate to use it as a title honestly. It is a politically charged with great personal meaning to a select group.>>

Good grief. Its a word thats been used for hundred of years. If we start excluding words from our vocabulary every time we associate them with a black mark on human history were a smidge over sensitive. Holocaust is a perfect term for someone who has mastered the destructive fire tree, and its one of those rare "drool" titles (like assassin, war chief, etc). Its not being used in any manner to imply anything other than its direct meaning, so why it would be 'inappropriate' would be beyond me.

Farewell, remorse: all good to me is lost; Evil, be thou my good.
~Paradise Lost (bk. IX, l. 171)
Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 11:26 AM CDT
If I were to hazard a guess, it would be that you are not Jewish. I'm not either, but if there was an objection about a Holocaust title, I personally would understand it. There are many words in the English language, most of them aren't in titles. I don't think this is one that needs needs neeeeds to be.

Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 11:29 AM CDT
>How about "Fiery Doom"?

Already exists:

Fiery Doom
- Must have at least 545 in Primary Magic.
- Must have at least 480 in Targeted Magic.
- Must know the Fire Shard, Fire Ball, Dragon's Breath, and Fire Rain spells.

>Is there an Apocalypse title?

Yes, its a barbarian title which makes me extremely jealous.

Apocalypse
At least 600 ranks in Multiple Engaged Opponent
At least 800 ranks in Highest Weapon
At least 600 ranks in Highest Armor

I would like to propose a WM equivalent of this title:

Tropocalypse
At least 600 ranks im Multiple Engaged Opponent
At least 1000 ranks in Targeted Magic
At least 600 ranks in Highest Weapon

Please Wythor?

-Tropicalo
Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 11:30 AM CDT
for years "gay" was used as a word for "happy" - such as "the gay nineties" -referring to the 1890s by the way. Yet it has different connotations these days. For that reason, I don't think it would be an appropriate title.

"Word on the street is, ya been lookin' out for the best interests of the Guild."
Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 11:47 AM CDT
>Good grief. Its a word thats been used for hundred of years. If we start excluding words from our vocabulary every time we associate them with a black mark on human history were a smidge over sensitive. Holocaust is a perfect term for someone who has mastered the destructive fire tree, and its one of those rare "drool" titles (like assassin, war chief, etc). Its not being used in any manner to imply anything other than its direct meaning, so why it would be 'inappropriate' would be beyond me.

Simply using the word is enough; it has, as a word, come to indicate the attempted genocide of the Jewish people.

Sort of like how 'god' now indicates specifically the Christian 'God', unless it's prefaced by '<other-religion> god(s)'.

As gonif pointed out, you can see something similar in the word gay.

I'm trying to think of an example, but drawing a blank really. Maybe somethin akin to a '911 bomber' title?
Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 12:04 PM CDT
>I'm trying to think of an example, but drawing a blank really. Maybe somethin akin to a '911 bomber' title?

How many people would like to see "Terrorist <so and so>" in game right now?
To Jewish people, THE Holocaust will ALWAYS be more than a black smudge in world history. It will mark a time when, as a whole group of people, they were hunted down for eradication. I'm willing to bet there's more than a few people of such lineage in game, but even if there weren't, I think DR is a better place without such a title.

PS - I don't think Apocalypse should refer to someone that can kill 1 thing at a time, sorry. They should become Barbocalypse, we should get Apocalypse, and Tropicalo should get his custom title - definitely. Of course, Westie's *** might be just as good. ::ducks::

Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 12:09 PM CDT
<<To Jewish people, THE Holocaust will ALWAYS be more than a black smudge in world history.>>

And to greeks, the term Souvlaki has a dark meaning. Turks took over our country for over 400 years and tortured and killed us, impaling us mouth to anus and roasting us over a fire. I'm not going to campaign against the term souvlaki since its also a tasty meal. While I'll concede that over time daily use can cause a words usage to change, we still play in a "fantasy" realm where people say "thou". So, in this "fantasy" game the term holocaust seems perfectly fitting (as would gay, in the 'happy' sense).

Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 12:15 PM CDT
And just to go a smidge further. Holocaust doesnt MEAN anything different. While gay went from a mood to a sexual orientation in modern times, holocaust still means a "whole buncha death". The event that modern times thinks of when that occured was a "whole bunch of death" regardless. Its not like a title 'holocaust' is lampooning any of the events, so again, I fail to see where it might be insulting to anyone.

Anyhow, back to more titles for Warmies:)

Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 12:32 PM CDT
As I really don't even want to touch the Holocaust title posts (Just put it this way...it's bad form, in my opinion).

<<Oh oh- I got one --- Blazer

Requirements:
-Knowledge of the burning touch Cantrip
-Haven't circled in ??? months
-Mech lore 500 (For..folding...and stuff...)

~The Fire Lion Magmus Bloodston, Blackfire Enthusiast
Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 12:36 PM CDT
>>Turks took over our country for over 400 years and tortured and killed us, impaling us mouth to anus and roasting us over a fire.

Whoa there. Whoa.

~Aeth
Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 12:37 PM CDT
>Requirements:
-Knowledge of the burning touch Cantrip
-Haven't circled in ??? months
-Mech lore 500 (For..folding...and stuff...)

HAHAHA. Holy crap, my office-mate is looking at me like I'm half crazy right now. WOW. Can't we have this. Please? Please? I'm cryin over here.

Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 12:38 PM CDT
<< I fail to see where it might be insulting to anyone.>>

Just because you don't seem to understand why is it offensive does not make it less so. Put it the bag of 'probably best not used' and move along to another suggestion.

Rehlyn

A sailor walks up to you and says, "Your commission as Captain of the Lybadel has run out."
The sailor salutes and walks away to return to his duties.
Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 12:39 PM CDT
fuehrer just means "leader" too, but i doubt very much we'd give the title to paladins with the ability to "lead".

"Word on the street is, ya been lookin' out for the best interests of the Guild."
Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 12:43 PM CDT
I find the term apocalypse offensive. I don't think people should advocate the end of the world as a title.

It is also important to put The Holocaust into context.

Whether you go by percentages or straight numbers, it was not the largest, nor the most recent example of genocide.

I am --- Navak
Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 12:51 PM CDT
Did anyone say a term referring to another genocide was okay? I don't remember reading anything like that, or seeing any titles referring to such.

I'm fairly certain you're not really offended by the term Apocalypse, and since it's only a term for what MIGHT (and might/probably not - in the commonly used sense of the word) be coming, and not something that has certainly already happened, I don't really feel this argument holds water.

Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 12:55 PM CDT
<<fuehrer just means "leader" too, but i doubt very much we'd give the title to paladins with the ability to "lead".>>

Probably wouldnt give it to them cause its German would be my guess. Maybe I'm crazy. I dont remember any english poets using the term Fuehrer in their writtings.

Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 01:00 PM CDT
<<I'm fairly certain you're not really offended by the term Apocalypse, and since it's only a term for what MIGHT (and might/probably not - in the commonly used sense of the word) be coming>>

Be frank though. How do you know his not offended? How do you know he is not a very right wing idealist and that does offend him deeply? I know were grasping at strays here but your offended by the word holocaust, someone else is offended by something you find equally silly.

Were just using words at their literal meaning. Fire magic tends to burn and destroy. Holocaust, and similar death and destruction titles seem perfect for that.

Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 01:05 PM CDT
I request another Blackfire title: Black War.

OMG NooOOO! That is the same term given to a period of genocide on Tasmania! BAN! BAN!!!

Fuquois

For Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_War
Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 01:15 PM CDT
mm thread is derailed enough

ideas for fire
(dont know if any of these exist)
Purifier
Ember Strife
Ember Storm
Crimson Lord
Holocaust
Ashen

Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 03:00 PM CDT
>Crimson Lord

I would very much like to have the Flame Lord title.
And Fire (or any other synonym) Knight. Please?

Your mind hears Tucktayuctuc thinking, "Battle Puff Powers...ACTIVATE!"
Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 03:11 PM CDT
Ooh, if you're eternally 55th circle, you might qualify for Blazer!

Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 04:07 PM CDT
how about eternal flamer? :-)

Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 04:15 PM CDT
>Ooh, if you're eternally 55th circle, you might qualify for Blazer!

>Knowledge of the burning touch Cantrip check
>Haven't circled in ??? months check
>Mech lore 500 (For..folding...and stuff...) damn

Mechanical Lore: 201 37.15% clear
Almost there

Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 04:18 PM CDT
I think the mech req could be lowered significantly. We just need a Blazer out there... bad.

Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 04:40 PM CDT
I'd still prefer Flame Lord and Fire Knight over Blazer.

I'd suggest Arcane Knight, but I know someone out there would whine and complain about taking another guilds title and putting 'Arcane' in front of it. I've wanted Arcane Knight forever. During the Warrior Mage cruise that Miabelle hosted a while ago, Chakram or Wythor gave me the Arcane Knight title, and I wouldn't log off until it finally disappeared three days later :(
Give it back!

Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 07:04 PM CDT
<<I'd still prefer Flame Lord and Fire Knight over Blazer.

Heh...maybe you didn't get the joke. Or maybe you decided not to address it. Blazer, in some circles, is a term for smoking a drug which is currently illegal in the US, but not everywhere. I doubt any of us were serious about having 'Blazer' be a title. Although, minus the Mech being insanely high and me not having it, I'd qualify for it. Magmus has not circled prolly in a good year or more. It's sad, really.

Other Fire titles, however:

Ashmaker (Fire Rain spell, 50th circle, 300 in TM)
Flametongue / Flamecaller (Dragon's Breath, 30th circle, 100 in vocals, 200 in TM)
Infernal Lord (80th Circle, All Fire spells, 50 STR, 50 AGI, Must own a horse)
Dragonspawn (All Fire spells, 100th circle, ?? STR, ?? AGI)
Sunmaker (125th circle, All Fire spells, No Water spells)
Pyre (Must have recently 'accidentally' allowed his ES to drop and his MOF to burn him...to death)

Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 07:38 PM CDT
I would honestly, really love to rock the Blazer title. Really. Of course, I also think thieves should be able to deal samatak, so my opinion's probably a little skewed on the subject.

Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 09:16 PM CDT
>Blazer, in some circles, is a term for smoking a drug which is currently illegal in the US, but not everywhere.

I've never heard of it.

>Pyre (Must have recently 'accidentally' allowed his ES to drop and his MOF to burn him...to death)

Close. Seems you have to cast it twice or at higher mana than 15, to burn yourself to death.

As for my title ideas...

<Flame/Water, Ice, or Frost/Earth/Air/Lightning or Thunder/Ethereal or Aether> Knight:
3 spells in respective book, must own a horse

<Flame/Water, Ice, or Frost/Earth/Air/Lightning or Thunder/Ethereal or Aether> Lord:
5 spells, horse

Please?

Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 09:30 PM CDT
Aether Knight was one of the ones i suggested pre title release actually.

I approve.

XXXX signs, "I got a huge wedgie but I'm embarassed to pick it"

XXXX says, "Whos mark is this? Your sabre is a little awkward, but usable."
Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 09:49 PM CDT
I kinda like Ashen.. and Ember Fire
Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 10:03 PM CDT
Mmm Lightning Lord.

Do we have cloud shaper? be a good 30ish title with some lightning air and water reqs.
Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 10:14 PM CDT
>Do we have cloud shaper?

Cloudshaper
At least 235 ranks in Primary Magic
Must know Rising Mists Spell

Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/11/2007 11:10 PM CDT
Nothing against the Elemental Knight/Lord titles, I'm just not a big fan of their generic and one-sided nature. It's unfortunate WM's lack a lot of 'distinctly Magely' titles, but, there's not many you can really say are 'purely WM' (Since a bunch make sense as Gen magic titles, etc.)

Personally, I prefer the more unique sounding titles that are either highly specific (Fire Lion, for Instance) or the ones that showcase the generic multi-element (as WM's are typically portrayed using in 'modern' Guild History) titles: Storm Mage, Arcane Lord, Knight Magister, Elemental Defender, etc. All the aether/fiery/icy doom'esque titles, and their multiple tiers, seem 'bland' to me. Just my opinion.

Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/12/2007 12:06 AM CDT
>Just my opinion.

Perfectly understandable. All the -caster, -Adept, -Crafter, -mancer, -Getha, -Doom, etc titles may be bland to some, but it allows someone that likes one of those suffixes and wants a title with a specific element. I personally think some of them sound really cool, but nothing suited for my character.

Honesty, I've always wanted the Arcane Knight title, long before the new title system came out. When we got all our new titles, and I didn't see Arcane Knight there, I just set Knight Magister as my goal, but I'm still 79 ranks away from it, and it is the only reason I even have a horse. By the time I gain those ranks, there is a pretty good chance that more titles will be added for us. I just want some kind of Knight title.

Re: More Fire-related Titles 04/12/2007 01:34 AM CDT
More suggestions.

*Embodiment of Flame* _(Mantle of Flames)_
Must know the *Mantle of Flames* spell.
Must have at least 100 Primary Magic.
Must have at least 100 Harness Ability.

*Flame Incarnate* _(Mark of Arhat Title)_
Know at least 5 spells from the fire manipulation spellbook.
Must have Mark of Arhat spell
Must have at least 300 Primary Magic
Must have at least 300 Targeted Magic

*Fiery Flame*
Must know at least 3 spells from the fire manipulation spellbook.
Must have at least 120 Primary Magic.
Must know the Fireball spell.

Prev_page Previous 1