Magic Titles 01/23/2007 01:02 AM CST
A lot of our titles are not WM titles. They are general magic titles. Please donate all of the extra ones to that category so that we may have more guild appropriate ones as well as fleshing out that category for other guilds.

Mana Seeker, Rune Tinkerer, Mana Sink, Astute Mage, Mana Channeler, Rune Setter, Mana Siphon, Mana Factor, Rune Master, Mana Fulcrum, Mana Hammer, Runeflinger, Sigilmaster, Sigilist, Mageling, Novice Mage

The general sounding titles like Arcane Bullseye are questionable because they are TM, but by having arcane in front they become WM... I guess.

I'm working under the way that current criminal/thief titles are setup as it seems superior then having a monopoly on skill titles. I've trained to be a Rune Master, but so has Bob Cleric and Sally Moon Mage.

- Maje
Re: Magic Titles 01/23/2007 11:52 AM CST
<<- Maje

Give him a break - he's been gone. And must have missed the 'storm' caused by a great number of our titles. You'll notice we have a lot of 'Arcane' themed titles, and more specific Elemental themed titles. The more specific ones (Inferno, Cold Witch, Fire Lion, Typhoon for instance) are the result of player suggestions to a release that was very strongly involving Arcane and various other words, some of which were cool and some of which were Barbarian titles (They've since been 'changed'). As for more titles, I think we're in a moratorium stage on them for us specifically. Personally, I wouldn't mind --

<<Mana Seeker, Rune Tinkerer, Mana Sink, Astute Mage, Mana Channeler, Rune Setter, Mana Siphon, Mana Factor, Rune Master, Mana Fulcrum, Mana Hammer, Runeflinger, Sigilmaster, Sigilist, Mageling, Novice Mage

All leaving. Unless enchanting were to come out and some of those made sense (Rune Tinkerer, Mana Siphon, Rune Master, Sigilimaster, Sigilist) - but I agree. We have a lot of 'general magic' feeling titles.

~The Fire Lion Magmus Bloodston, Blackfire Enthusiast
Re: Magic Titles 01/23/2007 08:21 PM CST
Maje is absolutely right. The best titles we have are the elemental ones, but even there, how many variations of "flamecaster, flamedancer, flamespitter, pyromancer" can you deal with.

Our highest and most "distinguished titles" are:
# High Wizard
* 4600 in Overall Magic
# Arch Wizard
* 5370 in Overall Magic

...going from Olwydd.

What's that? Nothing particularly dealing with what it means to be a Warrior mage, and, in fact, could refer to any of the Magic-Primary guilds.

The titles where you've tried to show what it means to be a warrior mage? Elemental Defender is ok, but then I get a list of things like Arcane Scrapper, Arcane Fighter, Arcane Targeter, Arcane Straightshot, Aethereal Lancer...

None of these have ANY flavor, and there's a reason you don't see anyone wearing them.

Try to find more ways to make clear the fact that a Warrior Mage is not merely a mage in the title system, and you'll have a success. As it is...

Well, I think I'll be sticking with Flamedancer/Telo'Getha for quite a while.
Re: Magic Titles 01/23/2007 09:44 PM CST
>>Try to find more ways to make clear the fact that a Warrior Mage is not merely a mage in the title system, and you'll have a success.

Any suggestions? Instead of posting which titles you think are bad, post some titles you think would be good. The 'flavorless' ones aren't going away, but you do have the opportunity to suggest some titles you'd actually wear.

- GM Wythor

The plain and simple truth is that the truth is rarely plain and never simple.
Re: Magic Titles 01/23/2007 11:27 PM CST
<<Try to find more ways to make clear the fact that a Warrior Mage is not merely a mage in the title system, and you'll have a success. As it is...

Personally, I think there are a few that are really good at what they do. And there are others, that do not - the only problem is, I think, Spellcasting Guilds have a lot of 'overlapping' general magic'esque titles. It's bound to happen.

<<Any suggestions? Instead of posting which titles you think are bad, post some titles you think would be good. The 'flavorless' ones aren't going away, but you do have the opportunity to suggest some titles you'd actually wear.

Which is why I always appreciate and say good things about Wythor. People are quick, even in the own Guild, to complain about our titles. But very few have offered any alternatives (even in the second round of suggested spell titles...) - the reason we have so many Flame Crafter/etc. ones is not because lack of origionality, I feel, on anyones part - but Team WM making a distinct choice to include varying Magic levels that reflect a Mages choice in spells since many of use 'call ourselves' Fire Mages, Water Mages, etc. For someone like me, I enjoy the fact there are lots of specific-element themed spells since I exclude myself from any Title that requires a spell or more from each spellbook.

However, that being said - there's always room for improvement. But considering we just recently got a two huge batches of titles, I'd rather have Team WM focus on finishing what is currently at hand so one day they can get to the really cool stuff: Combat/spellcasting fams, enchanting - and maybe even Blackfire.

Re: Magic Titles 01/23/2007 11:32 PM CST
Tornado - must have all the spells in the wind book.

"Word on the street is, ya been lookin' out for the best interests of the Guild."
Re: Magic Titles 01/24/2007 06:38 AM CST
I would like to point out that a majority of the WM titles were suggested by players on the boards. What can you do to change the current ones? Very little.

But, if there are some titles you would like to see added, our team has demonstrated in the past that they take a look at suggested titles and incorporate some.

Trebber

It is intended to be a game, and while it never made sense for me to be able to bounce across the rainbow road or whatever it was called when I played Candyland, it never stopped me from doing it and enjoying the game.
Re: Magic Titles 01/24/2007 08:55 AM CST
Im not sure if I can post these to you Wythor, to get them to the right people. Everyone wants less "magic'esque" titles, and more WM titles. However, I definately want the *Magic Category* tinkered with a little. The biggest problem I have with it, is shown below.

Hedge Witch
At least 100 in Lowest Magic

Thaumaturgist, Witch, Warlock
At least 200 in Lowest Magic

Now.. these are all well and good, and available to all. Where my personal problem falls, is as follows.
+ - Denotes Female-only Title

Beldam+
At least 350 in Lowest Magic

Crone+
At least 750 in Lowest Magic

Hag+
At least 550 in Lowest Magic

So, anything over the 200 in lowest magic, males don't get any other titles to choose from in this category. I could have 900 in my lowest magic, and the best I'd ever be known as is a Thaumaturgist/Witch/Warlock. Granted, if I had 900 in my lowest magic, my WM titles would be really awesome at that point, but its more the principle to me. I'd like there to be some sort of male equivalent to the female titles shown above.

-Master Ndin
Re: Magic Titles 01/24/2007 09:57 AM CST
>Tornado

Since we're full on titles for a while, if you're looking for something like this, you can use one of the following:

Cyclone
- 120 in Primary Magic
- 2 Air spells

Typhoon
- 235 in Primary Magic
- 3 Air spells

Hurricane
- 345 in Primary Magic
- 4 Air spells

Tempest
- 480 in Primary Magic
- 5 spells each from Water/Air/Electricity

Tempest is my favorite, but I'm short one Water spell. <insert pouting here>

Fuquois
Re: Magic Titles 01/24/2007 11:23 AM CST
Just do not mess with the Warlock title. I would not want all of this time spent as a magic tertiary training targeted magic to be for nothing.

- Xelten
Re: Magic Titles 01/24/2007 11:49 AM CST
Name: Warlock Ndin

Yes, please don't mess with the Warlock title.. I was just hoping for something to look forward to for the future that compare to the female titles.

-Master Ndin
Re: Magic Titles 01/24/2007 11:55 AM CST
<<I'd like there to be some sort of male equivalent to the female titles shown above.

Then suggest some? Without doing any research, I can say with somewhat confidence all those female titles (beldam, crone, hag) are all 'witchy' in nature. Warlock is the male equivalent, and, doesn't seem to have as many other counterparts. I can't think of any that would make sense are be cool enough to warrant suggesting them.

<<Just do not mess with the Warlock title. I would not want all of this time spent as a magic tertiary training targeted magic to be for nothing.

Heh. As much as I wished Warlock was WM only (I wore it for the longest time myself), like most (if not all) 'magic' titles it just...doesn't really apply to just WM's. Thinking of WM titles, to be honest, is really hard. They're either too 'specific' and end up like the Fire-specific titles or the arcane/elemental 'general' titles.

Looking back, even our titles before all the new ones were really general and could apply to any Magic-using Guild, for the most part.

Re: Magic Titles 01/24/2007 12:27 PM CST
Here, I put WARLOCK into thesaurus.reference.com
(http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/warlock)

Got a couple of entries. Here are the ones that fit.

Synonyms:
archimage, charmer, conjurer, conjuror, diabolist, diviner, enchanter, enchantress, exorciser, exorcist, fortune-teller, genie, genius, illusionist, marvel, medicine man, medium, miracle worker, necromancer, prophet, satanist, seer, shaman, siren, soothsayer, sorcerer, spellbinder, thaumaturge, theurgist, trickster, virtuoso, voodoo, warlock, witch, witch doctor, wizard

Synonyms:
astrologer, augurer, clairvoyant, conjurer, diviner, enchanter, fortuneteller, hypnotist, magician, magus, medium, necromancer, occultist, palmist, seer, shaman, soothsayer, sorcerer, thaumaturge, warlock, witch

Re: Magic Titles 01/24/2007 02:00 PM CST
Hmm.. I guess you have a point about the Warlock title.

Dictionary.com only comes up with this: A male witch; a wizard.

The thesaurus doesnt even find a match for Warlock, let alone any synonyms. Oh well, guess Im out of luck there. Guess Ill just deal with it, since I believe any other male-mage title I could come up with, are higher up on the WM titles. Ill just work towards those instead.

That is, until the day I reach my final titles, one which requires a proposed idea recently posted in the Cleric boards.

Arcane World Ender Ndin Yehr'Lihf, Weapon Master (or Death's Messenger) of Meraud.

-Master Ndin
Re: Magic Titles 01/24/2007 02:09 PM CST
Just a few more title suggestions, since Aethereal lancer showed up and I, personally, love me some combat looking titles:

Based on barrage effects:
Electric/Burning/Ice/Granite/Wind/Aethereal blade/bludgeoner

or

Incindiary warrior
Frost reaper
Lightning strike
Stone volley
Air assault
Aethereal eviscerator

Frost scythe reference:
Frost Halberdier

Half way fist of stone reference:
Earth/stone slinger/hurler

I would give tentative requirements, but I'm not entirely sure most of those have not been asked before, just throwing some thoughts into the ring to replace or compensate the "bad" ones.
Re: Magic Titles 01/24/2007 02:10 PM CST
<<Got a couple of entries. Here are the ones that fit.

Well, as synonyms yes. But which out of all those actually make sense to DR that aren't already titles (MM/Cleric/WM ones or general magic ones)? The rest don't fit, unfortunately. I'd love to see more male General Magic titles to oppose the Crone/Beldam/Hag ones...but...it's hard.

Re: Magic Titles 01/24/2007 02:17 PM CST
Alas, Wythor, therein lies the hitch.

The one thing that I'd like to see is more focus placed on the individual player's weapon/combat style choices.

While it's not my choice for a title (in part because of the vocal requirement), I find things like the Bladesinger title very interesting.

Arcane Sunderer is a cool title in its requirements, but, like many titles, relies on the Arcane prefix and doesn't strike me, personally, as being incredibly interesting to hear. Unfortunately, it seems to be the only one of that type that I could find (though, again, these are based on the Olwydd/Play.net title lists and my own title list, so there are probably some hidden ones I don't know about).

I just wish that there were more "flavorful" titles that deal with both sides of that which makes a warrior mage. Pretty much everything except scholarship.
Re: Magic Titles 01/24/2007 07:27 PM CST
Warlocks aren't male witches, male witches are just witches.

Warlocks are oath-breakers.

I am --- Navak
Re: Magic Titles 01/24/2007 07:44 PM CST
>>Just a few more title suggestions, since Aethereal lancer showed up and I, personally, love me some combat looking titles

Hmm, some of those look interesting. I'll jot them down for reference.

>>The one thing that I'd like to see is more focus placed on the individual player's weapon/combat style choices.

The difficulty with that is that there are already a lot of weapon titles, so we can't focus on just the nonmagical combat aspect. Anything we come up with would have to incorporate both the magic aspect of the guild (which is elemental in nature) and the combat aspect (which could be magical or nonmagical). It's hard defining everything a Warrior Mage is in just one or two words.

Which is why I asked for suggestions -- I don't have time to sit around and think of new combinations all day, but some player suggestions provide great ideas and starting points for entire series of titles.

- GM Wythor

The plain and simple truth is that the truth is rarely plain and never simple.
Re: Magic Titles 01/24/2007 08:05 PM CST
what about titles based on the type of familiar you possess or can summon? I've seen summoner but not much in terms of specific ones along that line, unless i've just not noticed them.

"Word on the street is, ya been lookin' out for the best interests of the Guild."
Re: Magic Titles 01/24/2007 11:10 PM CST
>what about titles based on the type of familiar you possess or can summon? I've seen summoner but not much in terms of specific ones along that line, unless i've just not noticed them.

Gerbil Master?

Arcane Gerbil Master?
Re: Magic Titles 01/24/2007 11:27 PM CST
That and I don't think that 'bear master' makes more sense for WMs than other guilds.

-Durnil
Re: Magic Titles 01/24/2007 11:44 PM CST
I think the title "Tropicalo" should be availible to anyone with enough Multi Opponent and Targeted Magic

>Tropicalo Tropicalo just arrived.

-Tropicalo
Re: Magic Titles 01/25/2007 12:40 AM CST
Tropicalo TropiCALO
Trop-i-CALO
Tropicalo TropiCALO
Trop-i-CALO
Tropicalo TropiCALO
Trop-Trop-Trop-Tropicalo.

-Durnil
Re: Magic Titles 01/25/2007 12:49 AM CST
>Tropicalo TropiCALO
>Trop-i-CALO
>Tropicalo TropiCALO
>Trop-i-CALO
>Tropicalo TropiCALO
>Trop-Trop-Trop-Tropicalo.

The sad thing is, I am pretty sure I know the tune you are 'singing' this to...

:(

Sis ut sanus amo a indoles , narro quispiam in Latin.

~Raydell, player of
Re: Magic Titles 01/25/2007 04:42 AM CST
Rock me Tropicalo!

Gladiator Maulem~

Read the Barbarian Seven!
http://tinyurl.com/gksan
Re: Magic Titles 01/25/2007 12:46 PM CST
50 TM, 30 multi and you can get the Tropicalo title.

I am --- Navak
Re: Magic Titles 01/25/2007 12:56 PM CST
>50 TM, 30 multi and you can get the Tropicalo title.

Double that and you can get "without pulp" as a post title.
Re: Magic Titles 01/27/2007 09:20 PM CST
>>Rock me Tropicalo!<<

Seconded.
Re: Magic Titles 01/29/2007 12:50 PM CST
>>Mana Seeker, Rune Tinkerer, Mana Sink, Astute Mage, Mana Channeler, Rune Setter, Mana Siphon, Mana Factor, Rune Master, Mana Fulcrum, Mana Hammer, Runeflinger, Sigilmaster, Sigilist, Mageling, Novice Mage

I really like the Mana Fulcrum and Mana Hammer titles. They're powerful. By sheer force of will, a Mana Hammer can smash you apart with the elements they command utterly and completely. The Mana Fulcrum can leverage the elemental forces through themselves to obliterate you with a thought.

The rest are fairly generic from that bunch.

~Katrenos
Re: Magic Titles 01/30/2007 02:12 AM CST
<<I really like the Mana Fulcrum and Mana Hammer titles. They're powerful. By sheer force of will, a Mana Hammer can smash you apart with the elements they command utterly and completely. The Mana Fulcrum can leverage the elemental forces through themselves to obliterate you with a thought.

So delete elements/elemental and insert lunar or divine into your sentences. It's a good title, but generic.

And no I haven't thought about titles I would like as that wasn't the original goal I had in mind for this thread.

- Maje
Re: Magic Titles 02/09/2007 01:36 AM CST
Mudslinger

Lava.. something

Essence of <Element>

Para-elementalist

Epic

oh and one more..

Title - Marked by Arhat

Catagory - General

Requirements - Must have died from MoA

Notice - Guide to posting, please read before clicking submit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_absurdum
Re: Magic Titles 02/09/2007 09:43 AM CST
Magic Marker -> Knows MoA.

I am --- Navak