The fastest way to get TDPs 08/21/2009 06:17 PM CDT
The fastest way to get TDPs is to train as many skills as you can while circling as fast as you can.

Can't train more than the minimum requirements at the same time? You need to learn more effective ways to train.

I am learning 30 skills in combat right now and I haven't even backtrained armors or weapons up to my current level. And learning here means pools high enough to get full pulses each time. This yields me around 100 TDPs a day at modest ranks.

As a WM, you should almost never leave combat.
Re: The fastest way to get TDPs 08/21/2009 06:24 PM CDT
>As a WM, you should almost never leave combat.

I disagree. Leaving combat is fine as long as you keep your main combat skills moving. Training 7 weapons is kind of redundant. Granted I trained way more than 7 weapons, but...
Re: The fastest way to get TDPs 08/21/2009 06:28 PM CDT
<<Can't train more than the minimum requirements at the same time? You need to learn more effective ways to train.
Is this a JOB or a GAME?

-Stayn
Re: The fastest way to get TDPs 08/21/2009 06:38 PM CDT
>>I disagree. Leaving combat is fine as long as you keep your main combat skills moving. Training 7 weapons is kind of redundant. Granted I trained way more than 7 weapons, but...

That's certainly true. There are a few survivals that are a pain or impossible to train in combat. If you wanted you could take a break to work them in. But why? :-)

>>Is this a JOB or a GAME?

You don't have to get TDPs as fast as theoretically possible if you don't enjoy it.
Re: The fastest way to get TDPs 08/21/2009 07:43 PM CDT
Hmmm this conversation is vaguely familiar to me.
Re: The fastest way to get TDPs 08/22/2009 12:52 AM CDT
>>I am learning 30 skills in combat right now...

WTH skills are you training? I call shenanigans.

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: The fastest way to get TDPs 08/22/2009 10:04 AM CDT
>>WTH skills are you training? I call shenanigans.

qft.

I call TF too.
Re: The fastest way to get TDPs 08/22/2009 10:13 AM CDT
Off the cuff I'd guess:

1-5) Armors
6) Shield
7) Parry
8) MO
9) Evasion
10) Escaping
11) Skinning
12) Appraisal
13) Mech
14-18) All 5 magics
19) Hiding
20) Stalking
21) First Aid

Throw in a class and you can pick up
22) Teaching
23) Scholar
24) Whatever the topic is

Throw in 2 more armors if he's rotating them
25-26) Swap armor

And then you just need 4 weapon skills. That shouldn't be too hard to come up with.

Dartenian says, "The thing that makes Dragon Dance king is that it pretty much bonuses every single that can possibly be buffed for combat. Including at least two things that don't even exist."
Re: The fastest way to get TDPs 08/22/2009 10:39 AM CDT
+ perception and vocals

---
Player of Kryeus Kyshi'cio
Re: The fastest way to get TDPs 08/22/2009 12:49 PM CDT
>>And then you just need 4 weapon skills. That shouldn't be too hard to come up with.

He said he never leaves combat. That would get rid of mech, magics are doable, MD/PP being the tough part, but that would mean he has to have like 6-7 weapons training at once and that's a lot of RT from pp/MD. Plus, where the hell ya get a spawn to support 6-7 weapons. I could see maybe ALL armors, but he also said he hasn't back trained his armors. So thats like 8 weapons needed to fill the gap. mmm. It's too early. I gotta leave for work. 8am fun :( My head now hurts.
Re: The fastest way to get TDPs 08/22/2009 12:58 PM CDT
<<He said he never leaves combat. That would get rid of mech, >>

The Wayerd pyramid emits a low humming noise as the sun's rays shine down on it.

and you can still fold paper, forage, read compendiums, and hum in combat.

<<Plus, where the hell ya get a spawn to support 6-7 weapons.>>

off the top of my head critters that easly support 6 weapons. Eels, Sand Sprites, Caracals, Bristle peccs, Shalswars, Snoblins, Celpeze, Gryphons, Bloodvines.

I was keeping 11 weapons locked in caracals (all 5 bows, sling, staff sling, shortstaff, LT, halbred, quarterstaff) With no additional person there to increase spawn.

I'm on a Motor-boat!!
Re: The fastest way to get TDPs 08/22/2009 01:30 PM CDT
Note also: He didn't say locked, I left out perception on accident, MD in combat is a little annoying but doable, PP in combat should stay locked the entire time and if it's not you're doing it wrong.

Dartenian says, "The thing that makes Dragon Dance king is that it pretty much bonuses every single that can possibly be buffed for combat. Including at least two things that don't even exist."
Re: The fastest way to get TDPs 08/22/2009 03:26 PM CDT
Damn. 11 weapons. I'm happy with 1. Maybe it'll be easier when I have stats... I guess 30 really isn't that far off.
Re: The fastest way to get TDPs 08/22/2009 03:59 PM CDT
yeah, you guys pretty much covered it.

You can also do escaping.

A lot of it is weapons and armor, more skills if you are willing to count switching hunting grounds as staying in combat as that opens up swimming, climbing, and backtraining weapons.

I have to script combat because I don't type/read fast enough to keep up. It's gotten to the point that I get myself killed if I spend too much time controlling the character manually. :-(

You have to stick with super swarmy creatures, which is why I am a big fan of keeping defenses as high as possible. The 4 critter cap makes this a lot easier.

I lock about half of the skills, the rest hover between 3 and 16 usually. Once I start hitting soft caps a lot of the weapons will drop out for a couple pulses.

I don't have an MD training section in my scripts, it seems to move well just by keeping SuF, SW, YS, ES, EASE, MAF up. EAS, MOF FISS, Zephyr under certain circumstances. TW when I train ranged. RM when I do hiding. I previously used cambrinth when training TM, but I haven't had to do that in a while.

I think newer players reading this are probably saying what the heck is this person talking about. A good thing to keep in mind is that I had to work up to this point by starting with a few skills and then working in a new one here and there as I saw space. Another issue is the fact that training gets easier the further you get into the game. The first 24 circles of WM were the hardest because I didn't have the abilities/spells/resources to really move a lot of skills. I also didn't know the best way to move the skills I wanted to learn because a fair number of them aren't exactly intuitive. Further, combat gets much easier because the learning sweet spot gets a lot wider after you hit level 30 or so.
Re: The fastest way to get TDPs 08/22/2009 06:26 PM CDT
>> Maybe it'll be easier when I have stats... I guess 30 really isn't that far off.

>>You have to stick with super swarmy creatures, which is why I am a big fan of keeping defenses as high as possible. The 4 critter cap makes this a lot easier.

The undead Rakash and Prydaen on the NTR were my best friend to 30. They swarmed pretty good.

But that is pretty much how i trained for the first 30 circles as well, lots of TDP's. I was told that every time your rank in a skill ticks up (104 going to 105), the # it ticked to gets added into a pool(your pool would now have 105, two ticks would make it 211). After that # reaches 200 you get a TDP (the other 11 stay in the pool adding to the next 200). Once i got more skills near 100 or over, the TDP's really started to pour in.

-Player of Aiidann
Re: The fastest way to get TDPs 08/22/2009 07:35 PM CDT
Daenar--yes, having better stats absolutely helps training. It's another way in which the game gets easier as you progress.

08Subaru--that's exactly how it works. And the difficulty/amount of time it takes to rank in a given skill seems to level off around 300 (or at least it used to, it probably has changed) so TDPs become more and more abundant per unit of time.
Re: The fastest way to get TDPs 08/22/2009 07:40 PM CDT
Skills definitely increase in their difficultly to rank beyond 300. My skills at 500 more quite a bit lower then 300, and the people I know with 800-1000 move at like... half of that.

But even so getting like... 3-5 TDPs every time you rank a skill is awesome. I get more TDPs between circles then I do circling (at 95th).

Re: The fastest way to get TDPs 08/22/2009 07:45 PM CDT
The reason behind all of this is because it requires more bits to gain a rank as you move up in skill.

- Simon
Re: The fastest way to get TDPs 08/22/2009 08:11 PM CDT
Yap.

You can add more bits (generally) with more skill since you do it better. And you can pulse more bits per pulse because you have higher mentals and larger pools. But both of these lose vs the increase in bits required per rank.

Re: The fastest way to get TDPs 08/23/2009 03:58 PM CDT
Ranks get significantly harder all the way up until 2000. The 300 rank cap on difficulty was like... 4 exp revisions ago.

For instance, a single magic rank in TF at 1500 takes about 38 hours of max pulses on average, with capped mentals.
Re: The fastest way to get TDPs 08/25/2009 06:06 AM CDT
<<PP in combat should stay locked the entire time and if it's not you're doing it wrong.>>

how exactly do you do this? i'm asking from the perspective of a sub-25th WM.

The undead hordes would like to take this moment to remind you that they are quite happy to eat your brains so that you may test new depart.Please consider it.Hugs and kisses, Team Necro.
Re: The fastest way to get TDPs 08/25/2009 08:13 AM CDT
<<PP in combat should stay locked the entire time and if it's not you're doing it wrong.>>

I'm curious as well. Is there a new way to train PP other than concentrating? Or are you simply referring to the fact that most people move rooms while hunting?
Re: The fastest way to get TDPs 08/25/2009 08:34 AM CDT
>><<PP in combat should stay locked the entire time and if it's not you're doing it wrong.>>

Cast spells that are difficult for you. That's the only way to do it without power walking. It actually works fairly well but I'm generally too interested in combat to be casting enough spells to lock my PP.
Re: The fastest way to get TDPs 08/25/2009 09:03 AM CDT
>>Cast spells that are difficult for you. That's the only way to do it without power walking. It actually works fairly well but I'm generally too interested in combat to be casting enough spells to lock my PP.

Since the exp changes i can't get it past dabbling just by casting, which is fine as long as it's always at dabbling. I don't think there's a way to keep it locked in combat without roaming and perceiving often in those rooms. It seems that with the changes the learning from casting spells has gone way down. My TM was equal to PP when the changes came out now i'm over 50 ranks ahead and i'm not doing anything different training wise.
Re: The fastest way to get TDPs 08/25/2009 09:13 AM CDT
>>Since the exp changes i can't get it past dabbling just by casting, which is fine as long as it's always at dabbling. I don't think there's a way to keep it locked in combat without roaming and perceiving often in those rooms. It seems that with the changes the learning from casting spells has gone way down. My TM was equal to PP when the changes came out now i'm over 50 ranks ahead and i'm not doing anything different training wise.

Cast more difficult spells with higher mana. Out of combat I have no problem locking PP by just casting. In combat, like I said, I'm too busy killing to do that and my TM spells aren't difficult enough to train it well.
Re: The fastest way to get TDPs 08/25/2009 10:01 AM CDT
>>Since the exp changes i can't get it past dabbling just by casting, which is fine as long as it's always at dabbling. I don't think there's a way to keep it locked in combat without roaming and perceiving often in those rooms. It seems that with the changes the learning from casting spells has gone way down. My TM was equal to PP when the changes came out now i'm over 50 ranks ahead and i'm not doing anything different training wise.

I perceive every 60 seconds in the room I'm in without roaming and my PP stays locked

~Arwinia

http://www.llbbl.com/data/RPG-motivational/target262.html
Re: The fastest way to get TDPs 08/25/2009 10:34 AM CDT
>>I perceive every 60 seconds in the room I'm in without roaming and my PP stays locked

This.

It likely won't GET you to locked, but if you lock up before hunting (And you should, since it's easy) it'll easily maintain you there.

Re: The fastest way to get TDPs 08/26/2009 09:10 AM CDT
>It likely won't GET you to locked, but if you lock up before hunting (And you should, since it's easy) it'll easily maintain you there.

That method actually locks my cleric from clear at 273 ranks.
Re: The fastest way to get TDPs 08/26/2009 03:41 PM CDT
Best i get is 6/34 at close to 500.
Re: The fastest way to get TDPs 08/26/2009 06:38 PM CDT
>Best i get is 6/34 at close to 500.

That doesn't tell us much except that your gain is outpacing your drain. If you did that long enough, you'd lock.
Re: The fastest way to get TDPs 08/29/2009 12:53 AM CDT
<<That method actually locks my cleric from clear at 273 ranks.

Still locking mine with 425 using this method.