Stats 08/12/2008 11:35 AM CDT
Amid the turmoil on the General Magic board during the CL debate, there was a bit of confusion about the role of stats in TM. I was under the impression that discipline and agility were the two main stats in determining TM accuracy (and thus assisted with damage). Further, I thought that discipline was the most important stat. However, this notion was challenged, and no one came forward with conclusive knowledge on the subject.

Thus my question: does anyone know, with certainty, what stat is most important for TM? Even better, does anyone have an archived GM post on the topic?

-Sephos
Re: Stats 08/12/2008 12:54 PM CDT
I am positive GMs have stated in the past that discipline is the governing state in TM contests for the offensive side. Agility plays a role, but not as large of one. But no, I don't have the time to dig up the old posts saying as much..

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Re: Stats 08/12/2008 06:31 PM CDT
discipline is twice as important as agility.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n142/Sirzason/wmsheet2.jpg

a black panther comes flying into view! it hits the ground, bouncing once before sliding to a stop.
A black panther is stunned!
Re: Stats 08/13/2008 02:53 PM CDT
>disci
Your base Discipline is thirty-nine(39).
It will cost you 136 TDPs to raise your Discipline from 39 to 40.
Discipline helps you resist fear effects, improves the size of your experience pools, and is used in various magical 'spell versus statistic' contests (particularly 'spell versus will' contests), among other things.
Use INFO to view all your statistics at once.
>agil
Your base Agility is thirty-four(34).
It will cost you 85 TDPs to raise your Agility from 34 to 35.
Agility helps you hit with weapons and targeted spells, improves manual tasks such as skinning or disarming, and is used in magical 'spell versus agility' contests, among other things.
Use INFO to view all your statistics at once.

If it's different...can we get some different messaging. When I don't know an answer...I ask a question. If something is presented as fact though...I don't ask questions.

Red'

>>That whole anti-stud comment doesn't apply to just the boys here. Girl gamers are just as damaged-goods as the guy-gamers are, they're just a lot more emotionally fragile about the whole thing. ~LOFTONM1
Re: Stats 08/13/2008 04:55 PM CDT
<<Discipline helps you resist fear effects, improves the size of your experience pools, and is used in various magical 'spell versus statistic' contests (particularly 'spell versus will' contests), among other things.

<<Agility helps you hit with weapons and targeted spells, improves manual tasks such as skinning or disarming, and is used in magical 'spell versus agility' contests, among other things.

<<If something is presented as fact though...I don't ask questions.

Sorry Red, Those ingame blurbs are intentionally incomplete. While yes they do those things listed, they are not the only things they do.

Also, Just because it list's a feat or skill in one particular attribute that aids it, while another does not, does not indicate that it is the best at aiding that particular feat or skill and should not be construed as such.

~Tieriana~
Re: Stats 08/14/2008 09:39 AM CDT
I'm kind of confused on all of this too. I came back to DR after all these changes were made and I'm wondering what exactly does discipline help in TM spells. Accuracy, damage, power, all of the above??

~ Mordimer
Re: Stats 08/14/2008 01:23 PM CDT
Discipline and agility are going to help with accuracy.

The power of the spell is based on the mana. When you add mana to a TM spell you're helping it's stats/power. It's just not something we can appraise.

Just like a Frost Scythe will never get better stats than low/great/heavy and Swirling Winds will never last longer than eighteen roisaen a TM spell will never get more power than it's cap. It's potential power will keep growing until then. At that point you have your forged sword so to speak.

That doesn't mean that you're always going to get what you ask for though. Prepping a 40 mana LB isn't always going to result in a full 40 mana version. Various guild/creature resistances and barrier spells can alter that to a lower number. If the mana invested is changed so much due to resistances that it goes beneath the spells minimum prep(or maybe it has to be less than 1 mana. Not sure if you can ever cast below min prep) you get the fancy motes of failure. Magic is fun.

The damage is just the result of all that vs your enemies defenses, stats, and buffs.

a black panther comes flying into view! it hits the ground, bouncing once before sliding to a stop.
Re: Stats 08/14/2008 04:08 PM CDT
>>If the mana invested is changed so much due to resistances that it goes beneath the spells minimum prep(or maybe it has to be less than 1 mana. Not sure if you can ever cast below min prep) you get the fancy motes of failure.

I do not think that applies to targeted spells.
Re: Stats 08/14/2008 04:44 PM CDT
MR affects the accuracy of TM spells rather than total power, so while you'll never flat out fail to cast you eventually just miss.

- Mazrian
Re: Stats 08/14/2008 05:07 PM CDT
>>I do not think that applies to targeted spells.

You're right. With non-TM, MR reduces the effective mana in the spell. With TM, it simply reduces the accuracy of the spell, potentially to 0.

I got myself confused when I was trying to think if TM spells ever did mote. I purposely mote my MAB spells all the time so I instantly thought of that. That's not even a true TM spell though.

Thank you, good catch.