Targetting specific areas 09/24/2007 10:40 AM CDT
does it work your TM better if you target a specific area, i.e. neck or left arm?
Re: Targetting specific areas 09/24/2007 12:02 PM CDT
Not anymore. But you can get more TM per creature usually if you destroy their arms/legs first, which I believe have caps on the damage to vitality. It's something you shouldn't worry about unless the place you're hunting as horrible spawn.

Axillus - Halfling Warrior Mage
>You charge your steel-toed footwrap at a musk hog.
Re: Targetting specific areas 10/03/2007 08:27 PM CDT
If I vaguely remember. The reason PC tails were taken off the table because A-They don't leak properly(no stamina/vit hit) and B-Only S'kra had tails. 1 of 10 races so it was a "balance issue" Now that three have tails, I foresee a revisit to the whole vit/stamina loss issue.
Re: Targetting specific areas 10/04/2007 08:57 AM CDT
>>If I vaguely remember. The reason PC tails were taken off the table because A-They don't leak properly(no stamina/vit hit) and B-Only S'kra had tails. 1 of 10 races so it was a "balance issue" Now that three have tails, I foresee a revisit to the whole vit/stamina loss issue.

It was also an issue of no NPC empaths and only tailed-species PC empaths could transfer tail wounds. There are also no herbs to heal tail wounds.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: Targetting specific areas 10/04/2007 03:35 PM CDT
>There are also no herbs to heal tail wounds.

I thought jadice and yelith worked on tails, as well?

~Chris
Re: Targetting specific areas 10/04/2007 05:44 PM CDT
>I thought jadice and yelith worked on tails, as well?

They do.

-Vision et al

Also, I can shoot bees.
Re: Targetting specific areas 10/04/2007 09:43 PM CDT
>I thought jadice and yelith worked on tails, as well?

>They do.

My apologies. Was that always the case?

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: Targetting specific areas 10/05/2007 03:40 AM CDT
There's code in place to allow handling of tails and wings in the targeting system, but at least on the magic side of things it's a bit... wonky.

Some changes are being made to the TARGET verb to allow tails and wings to be targetable, but until the code for PC tail injuries is fully supported -- and such injuries are approved by the SGMs -- this will be limited to creatures. The downside to these updates is that critters have to be custom-coded to support this sort of targeting.

- GM Wythor

What goes up
is futile --
unless it goes out
Re: Targetting specific areas 10/07/2007 07:56 PM CDT
I thought the issue was that de-tailing S'Kra would be critical damage (depending on where it is detached? even more complicated) whereas de-tailing Prydaens and Rakash would not, based on anatomy of the species, and coding it separately for the different races would be difficult and/or unfair.

Could be backwards or completely wrong, though.
Re: Targetting specific areas 10/07/2007 11:50 PM CDT
Yup.

The total blowing off of the Mur tail would be as lethal as blowing off anyone elses head.

but as long as it's not total distruction, there's a survivability probability.
Re: Targetting specific areas 10/08/2007 01:02 AM CDT
S'kra Mur can live with no tails in DR. There are things out there that damage every body part, such as casting teleportation or moongate without a beam set, the area effects in S'sugi Malchata, incinerate, and a few others. These will damage the tail of a S'kra Mur. While 3/4 of those are fatal as is, an empath healing the S'kra corpse can take take the tail wounds, lose their tail, and still live.

-Tropicalo
Re: Targetting specific areas 10/08/2007 01:42 AM CDT
>>S'kra Mur can live with no tails in DR. There are things out there that damage every body part, such as casting teleportation or moongate without a beam set, the area effects in S'sugi Malchata, incinerate, and a few others. These will damage the tail of a S'kra Mur. While 3/4 of those are fatal as is, an empath healing the S'kra corpse can take take the tail wounds, lose their tail, and still live.

Indeed. But we were referring to lore of the game, rather than current mechanics. In fact, if I remember correctly, there is a smozh ceremony where the tail is removed, and it has to be done carefully so as to not kill the victim as removing the tail normally would. Details are fuzzy though since I play a Mountain Elf rather than a S'Kra Mur, and all of my relevant notes went with my hard drive a couple months ago.
Re: Targetting specific areas 10/08/2007 09:58 PM CDT
I just said "Blasting" the tail off is akin to "Blasting" the head off. The tail can be damaged, even severely, but there are critical veins that must be redirected to avoid death.

Getting your arm blown off with no way to bandage it will do pretty much the same thing.
Re: Targetting specific areas 01/08/2008 10:35 PM CST
WRT surviving massive trauma it's really a question of how and how long.

It is possible to be cut in half through the abdomen and survive on the scale of time it would take for your buddy to drag you back to the empath (30 minutes). Of course, this requires that the trauma some how closes off the iliac arteries (branches from the aorta) -- for example, a crushing force like a train or a car could do this.

If the wound system ever got really complicated this might lead to designing spells that were particularly nasty and difficult to manage (ie justification for that 6th first tier TM spell). For some reason I feel like aether spells (ael, ala) would be particularly clean in this regard. I've also always wondered if electricity spells could do damage to more than one area considering the fact that a lightning bolt might enter one area (arm) and exit another (the back for example). Oh well. Probably a lot of work for something that wouldn't be all that thrilling.
Re: Targetting specific areas 01/09/2008 11:27 AM CST
ok?

On the other hand, we sometimes screw up and do something popular. We're working on that, though- GM Dartenian