FireShard 02/13/2007 07:58 AM CST
Anyone know how much mana and PM one needs for Multiple fire shards or what progression its on?

The Dragon priest hisses, "We'd have won, too, if it weren't for thossse meddling kidsss."
>
Re: FireShard 02/13/2007 08:10 AM CST
>>Anyone know how much mana and PM one needs for Multiple fire shards or what progression its on?

If I recall, my PM was a little over 150 when that feature was released, so I don't know about lower PM. However, at that time I found if I prep at 10 and cast before targetting was done, I'd get 2 shards occasionally. This was several years ago, though, so in light of recent magic changes your mileage may vary.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: FireShard 02/13/2007 08:13 AM CST
Thanks player of the Turnip King.

The Dragon priest hisses, "We'd have won, too, if it weren't for thossse meddling kidsss."
>
Re: FireShard 02/13/2007 01:29 PM CST
Odd, earlier in the week after Wythor posted the changes I tried it and wasn't even getting 2 shards with 30 mana at a straight prep.

Now I'm getting 2 or occasionally 3. The power is still abysmally weak though. Don't expect to get 2 shards with 10 mana any more.
Re: FireShard 02/13/2007 01:35 PM CST
>Now I'm getting 2 or occasionally 3. The power is still abysmally weak though. Don't expect to get 2 shards with 10 mana any more.

I, for one, am glad. There have been many times where I have used FS for surgical strikes that just are not possible when you have another 1-3 random shards flying at your target. I've killed people on accident when just trying to take off their hands.

-Durnil
Re: FireShard 02/13/2007 02:35 PM CST
>>I, for one, am glad. There have been many times where I have used FS for surgical strikes that just are not possible when you have another 1-3 random shards flying at your target. I've killed people on accident when just trying to take off their hands.

I dunno. I can think of probably 3 or 4 spells I'd use to try to disable someone through damage before I used FS. AEL, ALA, MoA (especially, though you knew that), even DB probably. I like my Fire Shard with a little wanton destruction, and messing around with it this week, it is neither wanton, nor destructive.

~Katrenos
Re: FireShard 02/13/2007 02:38 PM CST
>>I dunno. I can think of probably 3 or 4 spells I'd use to try to disable someone through damage before I used FS. AEL, ALA, MoA (especially, though you knew that), even DB probably. I like my Fire Shard with a little wanton destruction, and messing around with it this week, it is neither wanton, nor destructive.<<

I would try to kill someone with rapid-fire SDs before I'd try to fire shard them.

M.
Re: FireShard 02/13/2007 10:35 PM CST
>>I like my Fire Shard with a little wanton destruction, and messing around with it this week, it is neither wanton, nor destructive.

It is also a 1st tier spell, which should be useful for beginners but not seasoned veterans. The best you can expect from a 1st-tier TM spell is moderate destruction -- you'll have to move up a tier or two for wanton destruction.

- GM Wythor

The plain and simple truth is that the truth is rarely plain and never simple.
Re: FireShard 02/13/2007 11:19 PM CST
>It is also a 1st tier spell, which should be useful for beginners but not seasoned veterans. The best you can expect from a 1st-tier TM spell is moderate destruction -- you'll have to move up a tier or two for wanton destruction.

It is hard to not conjure up old images from when Magic 2.0 got its first release and Galain said 'hey let's try out Fire Shard, oh snap I just put 4 shards THROUGH someone.'

There are quite a few spells I'd use before Fire Shard. In fact, I rarely use it, and the upper tier spells are nice. I have no problem with the idea that higher tier spells should become more useful as you grow into them. I'm not so sure I like the train of thought that it should stop being useful just because I'm not 5th circle anymore, though.

~Katrenos
Re: FireShard 02/13/2007 11:55 PM CST
I still wish you could raise the tier of a spell by picking it multiple times ... specializing on a spell by spell basis, if you will. :)
Re: FireShard 02/14/2007 12:56 AM CST
>>I'm not so sure I like the train of thought that it should stop being useful just because I'm not 5th circle anymore, though.

I agree with this sentiment. However, I'm not exactly sure it is entirely possible to come up with 50+ spells (or however many till circle 200) for Warrior Mages and have each and every one of them maintain their usefulness for your entire career.

>>I still wish you could raise the tier of a spell by picking it multiple times ... specializing on a spell by spell basis, if you will. :)

I, too, like this idea.

You are Malkien, a dashing Barbarian. Huzzah!
You are Apis, a legendary Cleric in your own head.
You are Ragesong. What sort of Kaldar is a Bard, anyways, doofus?
You are also Pellazan (WM), Essatariol (Ranger) and running out of sig space.
Re: FireShard 02/14/2007 08:39 AM CST
>>I agree with this sentiment. However, I'm not exactly sure it is entirely possible to come up with 50+ spells (or however many till circle 200) for Warrior Mages and have each and every one of them maintain their usefulness for your entire career.<<

You can give spells neat side-abilities ala Frost Scythe and Fist of Stone.

Or give them interesting properties that make them worth using in some situations even when you have other spells that are more powerful in a raw sense, like Lightning Bolt and the new Fireball.

There is some definite redundancy in our TM spells because they all aim for the same result in the end, but I think Wythor has done a good job reducing that.

I think it'd be neat if Fireshard could perhaps create flaming arrows when self cast (I forget who first suggested that), and AEL were changed to create...eh...maybe a pole arm or something.

M.
Re: FireShard 02/14/2007 08:55 AM CST
I do not wish to sideswipe the thread but I have a question on the following statement.

>>You can give spells neat side-abilities ala Frost Scythe and Fist of Stone.

Side-abilities? If I understand this correctly, Frost Scythe would have the side ability of creating a wieldable weapon. What would the side effect for Fist of Stone be?
Re: FireShard 02/14/2007 08:56 AM CST
>>Side-abilities? If I understand this correctly, Frost Scythe would have the side ability of creating a wieldable weapon. What would the side effect for Fist of Stone be? <<

It creates wieldable blunt and thrown weapons and sling ammo.

M.
Re: FireShard 02/14/2007 12:31 PM CST
<<You can give spells neat side-abilities ala Frost Scythe and Fist of Stone.

I've taken to hunting exclusively with frost scythes. Sure, it's not as good as a forged bastie or something, but then who cares if someone graverobs a frost scythe? :)
Re: FireShard 02/14/2007 12:36 PM CST
>>I've taken to hunting exclusively with frost scythes. Sure, it's not as good as a forged bastie or something, but then who cares if someone graverobs a frost scythe? :) <<

Also, one looks bad-ass carving through foes with a weapon made of jet-black ice. You just can't beat that.

M.
Re: FireShard 02/14/2007 06:50 PM CST
I just wish we could "cast self" to have one appear in our hands. I tried that once with Frost Scythe... let's just say that I did not like th result.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread
Re: FireShard 02/14/2007 07:38 PM CST
Since you're not feeding enough power into the spell pattern to make it coherent, you quickly work your way to the minimum required.
That won't affect your current attunement very much.
You clap your hands together on a mote of energy, causing a shower of sparks to fly forth. Slowly pulling your hands back apart, a glowing ball of crackling energy begins growing between them, ready to pour power into the form of the Frost Scythe spell.
>
You feel fully prepared to cast your spell.
>cast xavain
You gesture.
Sparkling crystals of ice appear and coalesce into a small scythe of frost which flies through the air at you!
The frost-bladed scythe flips while on its path towards you, and flies securely into your right hand.
Roundtime: 1 second.

>glance
>
You glance down to see a small frost-bladed scythe in your right hand and nothing in your left hand.

Xavain
Re: FireShard 02/14/2007 09:08 PM CST
So, anyone want to sell me a Frost Scythe scroll?

- Xelten
Re: FireShard 02/14/2007 09:59 PM CST
>>Xavain's post

Strange. They must have changed it or I was gimp the last time I tried to cast it. I could haves word that I tweaked my armor and did not get the "flies to your hand" messaging.

On the other hand I could just be going completely insane and I would not argue this point either. wink
Re: FireShard 02/14/2007 10:36 PM CST
I think the flaming arrows idea for Fire Shard is a neat idea. That would be a wicked combination with naphtha. Not only would you get the ignited naphtha but you'd get in an arrow hit too on top of it.

And I have to say, my Warrior Mage's secondary weapon is HT, and in this regard Frost Scythe is awesome.

You are Malkien, a dashing Barbarian. Huzzah!
You are Apis, a legendary Cleric in your own head.
You are Ragesong. What sort of Kaldar is a Bard, anyways, doofus?
You are also Pellazan (WM), Essatariol (Ranger) and running out of sig space.
Re: FireShard 02/15/2007 01:59 AM CST
I think the "weapons" idea is great for all of the 1st tier attack spells. We are, after all, a combination of warrior and magician. I wouldn't find it redundant at all for any/all of our basic spells to be able to create a wieldable weapon.

Fuquois
Re: FireShard 02/15/2007 05:55 AM CST
>>Strange. They must have changed it or I was gimp the last time I tried to cast it. I could haves word that I tweaked my armor and did not get the "flies to your hand" messaging.

It was changed some time back, I think during Valdrik's term, so that you could self-cast and have it come into your hand if one was open.

I just want to get a second Water book spell so that I can get the Crystallize Ice cantrip, which is the one which increases the duration of a wielded scythe...

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Info Page http://kynevon.info
Grimoire of Echoes: http://tinyurl.com/2ac987
Hunting Info: http://tinyurl.com/44jlt
Armor Info: http://tinyurl.com/2h5jcp
Re: FireShard 02/15/2007 08:24 AM CST
Here is my take on things. Frost Scythe and Fist of Stone are the two lowest damaging (or least accurate) of the first tier spells. Sure, you can go from circle 1-20 with them no problem - I did in fact. However compared to AEL, GZ, PW and Fireshard they are lacking a bit. I always attributed that to their enhanced versatility. You can make disposable weapons with them, so to balance that they don't hit quite as hard. So while I personally would love more weapons, I don't want to see those other spells reduced in power.

I was also kind of annoyed when Frost Scythe's template changed - turning it from a halberd into a pike. I could see a lot of issues with the upcoming weapon review if they also had to go through several dozen WM spell-weapon templates or something. Just some thoughts :P

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Re: FireShard 02/15/2007 08:30 AM CST
>>I was also kind of annoyed when Frost Scythe's template changed - turning it from a halberd into a pike. I could see a lot of issues with the upcoming weapon review if they also had to go through several dozen WM spell-weapon templates or something. Just some thoughts :P

I would like to see Frost Scythe changed so that ones highest melee/thrown weapon skill dictates what is created. Then again, I am near to bonkers.
Re: FireShard 02/15/2007 09:17 AM CST
>>However compared to AEL, GZ, PW and Fireshard they are lacking a bit.<<

Fire shard? What the heck? <g>

I pull Fist of Stone out whenever I want to do a heap of blunt damage with TM, 'cause I don't have MAB.

M.
Re: FireShard 02/16/2007 10:10 AM CST
Heap of blunt damage? I find that it always takes more mana to kill stuff with FRS/FoS. Heck, using BARRAGE successfully usually requires more mana with FRS/FoS - or did back when I did 50,000 tests with the darn thing :P What I find most funny, is I can ONLY use Barrage against at-circle opponents when using FoS/FRS - they do little enough damage so as to not kill the enemy before I take my whack.

I find that the limitations of first tier spells becomes more apparent the higher up the critter chain you go. That is why I'd love to have a higher-tier way to inflict cold and blunt damage to enemies using TM spells.

And don't get me wrong - I love MAB. However the attacks cannot be aimed which greatly reduces the effectivenes of the shots. Perhaps SSTR does blunt damage? I always suspected it did piercing.

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Re: FireShard 02/16/2007 04:05 PM CST
>>Heap of blunt damage? I find that it always takes more mana to kill stuff with FRS/FoS. Heck, using BARRAGE successfully usually requires more mana with FRS/FoS - or did back when I did 50,000 tests with the darn thing :P What I find most funny, is I can ONLY use Barrage against at-circle opponents when using FoS/FRS - they do little enough damage so as to not kill the enemy before I take my whack.<<

There are some opponents that are heavily slice/puncture/element resistant (warklins, Vykathi).
FoS seems to work better for me against those than other spells do.

M.
Re: FireShard 02/16/2007 05:44 PM CST
Give me the ability, with enough magic whatever and weapon rank whatever, to make a better frost scythe or fist, and I'll never ask for anything else again. Ever.

Ever..

Notice - Guide to posting, please read before clicking submit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_absurdum
Re: FireShard 02/16/2007 05:45 PM CST
Ya, I wish with skill the quality of the frost scythe, statwise, would scale up a bit myself.
Re: FireShard 02/16/2007 11:01 PM CST
>>Ya, I wish with skill the quality of the frost scythe, statwise, would scale up a bit myself.

Not going to happen. The benefit of the spell is to be able to create several types of weapon nearly anywhere (versatility), not to create forged-quality weapons that cost nothing and require minimal skill and virtually no time to make (power).

- GM Wythor

The plain and simple truth is that the truth is rarely plain and never simple.
Re: FireShard 02/16/2007 11:52 PM CST
<<Not going to happen.

Ya, I know. That's why I said "I wish" instead of "I think the spell should". ;)

Still, it would be nice. Of course I would expect it to require significantly more than 'minimal skill' to create anything resembling forge quality weapons. And maybe it would be a good perk for my 'spell specialization by picking the same spell more than once' idea that I'm sure is also 'Not going to happen', hehe.
Re: FireShard 02/17/2007 10:12 AM CST
I wish the next tier of water targeted spells would be far enough through QT to at least give us the names and a sample attack by the GM(s)