Idea for Xtm format 06/07/2006 07:14 PM CDT
arcane or mo skill+ tm skill to determine number of targets, up to 5, just like teaching.

each target is a harness of the extra mana

each target is targeted individually.

exam.

target chest
>you harness the minimum yada yada

Target second gob
you drag some more mana into your spell matrix and divert some attention to a second target.

target third gob
you just can't seem to grasp that concept yet.

cast
chance to hit 1st critter -inv=mo/tm
chance to hit 2nd critter -2a=(a=mo/tm)

thus keeping your mo or arcane close to tm would be benificial?
Re: Idea for Xtm format 06/07/2006 09:50 PM CDT
The only problem I have with targeting more than one opponent is that I see it the same as aiming at two targets with a bow. You only have one arrow. But I guess the old this is magic applies and with that my .02$ is that you let agility and intelligence be a factor. The spell is cut by 60% power for 2 targets, 70% power for 3, teaches TM very well (a boost on par with arrange for skinning) and is warmie only, or is given to all magic prime guilds as a TM feat, but warrior mages are the only ones who can target over 2 at the same time.
Re: Idea for Xtm format 06/08/2006 03:43 AM CDT
Maybe only useable with spells that already create multiple shots? FS at higher skills, GZ, CL, FR, etc.

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Info Page http://kynevon.info
Mac OS X FE http://tinyurl.com/9xjyj
Amagaim's What to Hunt Chart
Excel format: http://tinyurl.com/44jlt
HTML format: http://tinyurl.com/b7zj8
Re: Idea for Xtm format 06/08/2006 08:38 AM CDT
Xtm? Like in Xmagic and Xfight?

>Maybe only useable with spells that already create multiple shots? FS at higher skills, GZ, CL, FR, etc.

I was just going to suggest that for FS and GZ. Maybe Stone Strike too, but I've long since forgotten what that spell even does. Probably not CL or FR, since those things are barely controllable as it is.

Steel.

OMG! YOU HAVE <insert ability here> YOU ARE OVERPOWERED! DIE, GUILD, DIE!
Re: Idea for Xtm format 06/08/2006 02:19 PM CDT
Perhaps new spells for Air or Water book?

Dartellum Waddle - swinger of sword and caster of magic that goes BOOM!
Re: Idea for Xtm format 06/09/2006 01:24 AM CDT
<<I was just going to suggest that for FS and GZ. Maybe Stone Strike too, but I've long since forgotten what that spell even does. Probably not CL or FR, since those things are barely controllable as it is.>>

Stone strike breaks a rock into shards(number variant) that hurtle to your foe and embed rather nastily into their flesh.. stuns are common, if someone tries to tend the wounds, it gets vicious. Pretty big vit loss. Usually damages armor.

All in all a handy spell to have, and i could see it falling under the multiple targets ability, or being given an upgraded new spell to making "rock grenades" that fling shrapnel everywhere (swirling winds to "buffet" them away).

Either or, Earth is my second favorite besides Electricity

~Player of Naz (who would be a dark jedi just to fling lightning around)

"My hands caress to take your shame; The taint will fade as will your pain."
~Helena

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

~ A.E.
Re: Idea for Xtm format 06/09/2006 01:34 AM CDT
One of the things i've notices is that the elements tend to be more "niche" specific, despite people's attempts to stick to one element.

Fire burns mostly damage minimal utility, Electricty screws up nerves no utility, water is half damage/half utility, earth is a good mix of damage and utility, aether is nearly all ulitity, as is air. By utility I mean non-damage or non-AoE damage spells.

ICly, there were alot more spells for each element, since the cabals were split and they focused on their own research (and there were alot more of em compared to the "element focused mages" that are around today). We're slowly rediscovering these older spells and new ones, since the cabals didn't like to share until after the merging. (And subsequently some spells were lost due to lack of spread)

It can be assumed that each element had it's great damage/utility/etc etc (Fire is a prime example) while maintaining it's own flair. Since the majority of records from that era are word of mouth and bards tales, we don't have much to go on.

"My hands caress to take your shame; The taint will fade as will your pain."
~Helena

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

~ A.E.
Re: Idea for Xtm format 06/09/2006 05:59 AM CDT
>>Targeting multiple victims

While neat in theory, something like this would require a fundamental rewrite of the entire magic system and many other systems as well. It would also require a significant retooling of magic theory -- how magic works in Elanthia.

Maybe in magic v.3 something like this would be possible, but we're having enough problems with the current magic system. No sense in borrowing more trouble. ;)

So in a nutshell, I don't see this happening.

- GM Wythor

The plain and simple truth is that the truth is rarely plain and never simple.
Re: Idea for Xtm format 06/09/2006 02:53 PM CDT
I do not see it as a retooling but as a natural progression of magic. With enough mentals and skill, I should be able to select multiple targets at will. Although selecting these mutliple targets might not receive the same power as a single target, it would still get their attention and cause some injury.

Dartellum Waddle - swinger of sword and caster of magic that goes BOOM!
Re: Idea for Xtm format 06/09/2006 11:54 PM CDT
i don't see why it wouldn't work with spells that don't multi shot here's how:

a fire shard flies at monster 1 causing this amount of damage and degrading a bit on impact

you work at changing it's course sweat beading on your brow the fire shard swerves about in the air as it changes course and flies towards monster 2 dealing this amount of damage

--
Treat empaths with respect, you'll live longer
--
http://people.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5198137
Re: Idea for Xtm format 06/10/2006 08:57 AM CDT
>>a fire shard flies at monster 1 causing this amount of damage and degrading a bit on impact

How does a targeting matrix work? Are you guiding the spell to the target, or are you creating a "magnetic bullseye" on your target hoping the spell will hit where intended when released? If the xTM thing came about, wouldn't you have to almost abolish all damage done on the initial hit to keep any sort of momentum for subsequent hits? The only way I can see this working is if you were able to punch a hole through what your shooting at and that would mean you completly outclass your opponent and won't be learning anyway.
Re: Idea for Xtm format 06/10/2006 12:01 PM CDT
Gah
if there is a magic three, make sure it includes a break down of the elemants, please? all us mages need more overall than 5 skills really allot for!!!

though multi target would really only need a tm system rewrite, unless you're going to make it for bows too.

The bow thing would be definitly only barb ranger only since it'd require multi load.

multi target would double or tripple the time it takes to actually cast/fire

the bow thing would be like holding the next arrow in between your fingers while letting one fly and reloading right afterword. Do you really want a load rt on top of two or more firing rts?