Targeted magic-Question tdpS 04/05/2006 07:41 AM CDT
What should i be putting my tdps into? I have found a spot that pushes my targeted magic and combat skills well together but need advice on the TDPs.
Strength : 12 Reflex : 12
Agility : 13 Charisma : 10
Discipline : 19 Wisdom : 18
Intelligence : 20 Stamina : 12
Re: Targeted magic-Question tdpS 04/05/2006 07:56 AM CDT
well, you've done well on yer mentals, I would think it was time to start upping your physicals based on your hunting style.

Strength if you plan to weild heavier weapons or want a reduced RT on each swing
Reflex if you tend to get hit too often, should help you dodge more efficiently
Agility if you are a bow user especially but in general to help you hit critters easier in combat (will apply to weapons and targetted magic)
Stamina if you find you are running out of vitality from swingin a heavy weapon, should allow you more swings before tapping out.

At this point i wouldnt touch charisma much since the returns on your other skills will matter more at your stage.
oh by the way Charisma will help lower the cost of items sold in shops, incur a higher multi penalty on an opponent you and friends are advancing on, and allow you to sell gems for more cash. all things that can really wait when yer young.

Hope that helps..

Rehlyn

A giant skeletal claw rises slowly from the mire, stretching its palm open to the sky.
A tasia corsair says, "Well I was hoping to wait for a cleric first but if you watch my stuff I'll depart. Thanks."
Re: Targeted magic-Question tdpS 04/05/2006 08:29 AM CDT
With my characters I always tend to get stamina to a number where I can swing weapons and not get tired first(of course if you take zephyr that's a non-issue). After fatigue issues are fixed, I spike strength/agility to 20 (assuming reflex is at least 10-12). When you are of a low circle intelligence and wisdom don't play as large a role in the speed at which you learn (what's another hour at circle 5, compared to 3 hours at circle 25).

So yeah, check out stamina and if it's ok then get strength/agility up to about 20, then bring reflex up to 20. Start working charisma around circle 25, slowly. It does have an impact on contested spells so don't ignore it entirely. Eventually you'll want charisma at 30 by circle 50 so your fam isn't lazy :P

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Re: Targeted magic-Question tdpS 04/05/2006 09:23 AM CDT
What Rehlyn and Renwulf said. You've got some very good mentals. Now start raising your physicals.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Targeted magic-Question tdpS 04/05/2006 10:43 AM CDT
What suggestion would you give for stats like these to one who is a kaldar?

Circle: 7

Strength : 15 Reflex : 14
Agility : 14 Charisma : 12
Discipline : 13 Wisdom : 10
Intelligence : 10 Stamina : 15
Favors: 3
Concentration: 18 Max: 18
TDPs: 28

We are all mere shadows and dust.

~Craetos~
Re: Targeted magic-Question tdpS 04/05/2006 02:43 PM CDT
Increase Dis, Wis, and Int. Keep Dis 2 above Wis and Wis 2 above Int, or so I am told. Get those in the high 20s - example: Dis 25, Wis 23, Int 21.

PS, I went a different route when I was younger... I raised Sta,Str, and Dis to 20s first so I could swing my HE. I just now got the mentals where they should be in range. I raised Dis early to hunt Adan'f back before magic was taken from us, evil Gods... run in cast Frost, target spell, cast, run when needed... now I do not have a chance in there. One day soon I will...

Dartellum Waddle - swinger of sword and caster of magic that goes BOOM!
Re: Targeted magic-Question tdpS 04/05/2006 03:12 PM CDT
<<Keep Dis 2 above Wis and Wis 2 above Int

Urban legend.

Trebber

Your mech lore ranks could care less if the paper is blue or plain.

GM XXXXXX "Well, we can't please everyone."

You say, "True, but that is no reason not to try."
Re: Targeted magic-Question tdpS 04/05/2006 03:40 PM CDT
<<Keep Dis 2 above Wis and Wis 2 above Int

<<Urban legend.

<<Trebber

I am not! I mean... ahh umm I didn't start any such rumor of 2 over 2... oh so many years ago. Hehe.

~Worrclan, Dwarf of the Realms-

I do however admit to coining most of the variations of loonie moonie
Re: Targeted magic-Question tdpS 04/05/2006 04:48 PM CDT
I personally took advantage of my Kaldar's penalties to Intel and Wisdom, by not raising them as much as others. So at circle 54 I have a intel and wisdom of like 24/21. However, my strength is 36. This lets me not only carry a metric buttload of supplies/boxes/spare armor/bodies, but it lets me annihiliate stuff in melee combat. I don't really have much of a problem training. I never spiked my magics, and my defenses are right in line with my offenses. I guess the only penalty is difficulty moving some tert skills like survivals. You'd want more mentals to work skills like boxes/stealths a lot. It's also more suited for the roleplayer. Someone who goes and MLs everything really quickly, then lets it slowly drain for a few hours.

Saving on my mentals also gave me extra TDPs to spend on spell slots that helped me circle quicker as a youngin. For example, when I could just ever so barely hop the hummocks in fendryads I'd go out, RM+Frb 2, and have my TM locked. 1 more and my HE was locked. Then I'd go dance with peccs for 5 minutes and be set for an hour while everything slowly drained. Well, not necessarily recommending you do things like this - but it worked for me! I can still average over a circle a week at 54 if I am playing to circle (and I don't use many scripts either).

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Re: Targeted magic-Question tdpS 04/05/2006 05:21 PM CDT
Stat allocation depends heavily on how you wish to train your Warrior Mage. Though Warrior Mages will never be Barbarians or Paladins when it comes to tanking, they enjoy a rather nice degree of flexibility. You can play like a Moonie, a Barb, or anything inbetween.

What I would do is ask yourself what kind of training regiment you want more. Would you like to be a godlike spellcaster, a melee monster (as warmies go), or pretty adept at both?

Seeing as you chose Kaldar (Hail!), I'm betting you want to be somewhat melee-oriented. Definitely take advantage of your strength bonus. It's something of a shame that Warrior Mages do not have a system that benefits directly from charisma as attack power (like Barb roars, or Bard enchantes/bluffs, or some Pallie stuff), but considering the presence of negative modifiers on wisdom/int, I would suggest keeping your charisma decent. There are a lot of charisma checks in the game, and while it won't help any single thing as highly as another stat might, it's not bad to have as any guild. The days of charisma only helping in selling gems and stuff is long, long gone. I suspect it helps in overcoming MR, it certainly plays a part in powering and resisting will v. will spells, etc etc.

I would also suggest keeping your mentals higher then Renwulf ;). My Barbarian is twenty circles below him and analogous on the mentals. But that's just my playstyle. Keep discipline high (it does affect learning rate somewhat). Allocate strength/agility/reflex/stamina based on how heavily melee-oriented you want to be, what kind of armor you want to use, if you plan on hiding, etc etc.

"Decisions I regret: making staff sling my primary weapon, losing the funky chicken, and becoming a Warrior Mage."
-BRFUQUOIS

Re: Targeted magic-Question tdpS 04/05/2006 08:27 PM CDT
Oh, another reason for the low mentals :chuckle: I will never win a WvW defensive contest. It's just never going to happen. MMs have twice the mental stats of a WELL trained WM, so what's the point in trying? Throw in IoE.. and it's not even useful. Get a shield brooch and use it in those occasional situations when PvP pops up. Now for our own WvW spells, I found discipline/charisma were fine substitutes for intelligence. I can still snap-tingle Adan'f, despite having atrocious mentals :P

Re: Targeted magic-Question tdpS 04/05/2006 09:08 PM CDT
<<Now for our own WvW spells, I found discipline/charisma were fine substitutes for intelligence. I can still snap-tingle Adan'f, despite having atrocious mentals :P

I hear you. But ugh... the learning rates. Char/Disc is fine. But we're talking about my Barbarian, who doesn't even have WvW abilities... personally I can't stand the low at-circle mentals. If you have the patience for it, well... then by all means ;).

"Decisions I regret: making staff sling my primary weapon, losing the funky chicken, and becoming a Warrior Mage."
-BRFUQUOIS

Re: Targeted magic-Question tdpS 04/05/2006 10:07 PM CDT
I plan on using LC armor and I plan on being death on two legs with sword or spell. For spells right now I have AEL,FS,FB,ES,FRB. My weapons of choice are HE, 2HE, Comp bow, and Brawling.

We are all mere shadows and dust.

~Craetos~
Re: Targeted magic-Question tdpS 04/05/2006 10:11 PM CDT
Barb eh? Yeah they have some serious weapon learning issues. My circle 23 barb has 6 intel, 15 wisdom, and still can't mind lock a weapon to save his life. I would think we have the role of intelligence mixed up if not for reports from barbs with higher mentals who also have trouble locking weapons.

I figured with 6 intel my mental pool would be dinky dinky. So I could mind lock 3-4 weapons easily and just keep rotating (making him a weaponmaster). The reality is that I can barely lock one, so I would just be wasting all that extra intelligence :P

Re: Targeted magic-Question tdpS 04/05/2006 11:29 PM CDT

<<I figured with 6 intel my mental pool would be dinky dinky. So I could mind lock 3-4 weapons easily and just keep rotating (making him a weaponmaster). The reality is that I can barely lock one, so I would just be wasting all that extra intelligence :P

Yuck ;).

If you wanna do that go right ahead. But lordie... with six intelligence you'll start to get into high mind states (murky, very murky, even beyond) when the crowds start coming.

As a weapons primary keeping 4 locked is possible, but I really, really wouldn't recommend holding that as the golden standard of what you should be locking. Two is very possible, even with good intelligence. And if you focus on two and just do a couple for fun now and then you'll circle much faster.

Just a thought. Guess it depends on what you wanna do.

-BRFUQUOIS

Re: Targeted magic-Question tdpS 04/05/2006 11:40 PM CDT
<<,I plan on using LC armor and I plan on being death on two legs with sword or spell. For spells right now I have AEL,FS,FB,ES,FRB. My weapons of choice are HE, 2HE, Comp bow, and Brawling.

Ah... fond memories. Don't all warrior mages?

Anyways, the middle of the road is a very powerful path, but you should realize that doing both will make you less adept at either then if you focused on one (MMs) or the other (Barbs).

But that's just sort of common sense. Keep your strength up and your mentals won't be as high, and vice-versa. Anyways... a couple recommendations for stat points as a Kaldar in four different guilds (I love them, what can I say?)

-You're probably gonna end up being pretty well-rounded stat wise. This is by no means a bad thing, just saying what to expect.
-If you plan on being at home in melee, keeping enough reflex to successfully retreat from 5 or so at-level monsters, and enough stamina to soak up some nice hits without keeling over.
-Strength will probably want to be your highest stat due to wanting HE, 2HE, and Brawling (the truest Kaldar choices, good work) versus Comp Bow being the only thing that relies on agility. Also, as bows goes, comp relies the heaviest on strength, so it's sort of a no-brainer that you want high strength since you get a bonus to training it.
-Don't completely neglect mentals, but use intelligence and wisdom mostly to spike your learning rates. For spell and WvW power, rely on discipline (neutral) and charisma (bonus) and you'll still do quite nicely spell-wise.

Hope that helps.

-BRFUQUOIS