Targeted Magic not going above concentrating 12/19/2005 07:08 AM CST
OK, so I am hunting silver luecros and my TM is not moving above concentrating. It takes forever to get to that state also, I have killed about 19 to get it to this state. I have 121 TM and can kill a leucro in one to two casts of lightning bolt at 12 - 14. What else can I do to get it moving better. Any suggestions? Oh, swains hit too hard currently, but I can take one to two with SD, AEL, and GZ. My armor is catching up but still is 40 - 80 ranks behind my TM.

I, too, learned TM in the old system and took a long break after the magic rewrite.
Re: Targeted Magic not going above concentrating 12/19/2005 07:26 AM CST
125ish is getting pretty close to the cap for silver leucros anyways. If swains are too tough you may want to consider Vipers in Haven. They should teach another 15 ranks of TM, and aren't as dangerous based on skill alone. Hope you have decent shield/evasion though to counter the poison spit. Besides vipers you could also do gypsy marauders in Theren or crocs below Haven. With 120 TM, though, swains should not be all too difficult. I certainly feel your pain (been a while since I played a warmie, but I remember the rewrite), but I would advise getting your armor and defenses up to snuff. The new system is here to stay, and you're going to have this problem until you do the month or so of back-training to fix it. I'm sure you know that though!

You say, "I don't think moon mages would like being dipped in boiling tar just to learn astrology much."
Sadeia says, "More reason to dip em."

Re: Targeted Magic not going above concentrating 12/19/2005 08:09 AM CST
I have problems getting above muddled or so on marauders at 125 ranks, so I doubt you'll do much better, and with low defenses, I don't think you'd last too long. I was able to hop up to swamp trolls/small pecs in langenfirth (with a few deaths), but all my defenses are 100-110...

I was in the same boat as you a while back, and spent a month or so in sand sprites - they should teach defenses up to 90-100
Re: Targeted Magic not going above concentrating 12/19/2005 09:17 AM CST
I have spent most of my time in sand sprites since starting again, over two months. I have tired of sand sprites. I dream of sand sprites! Swains hit hard but I can take them. Which spell is better to use indoors or them? GZ or AEL? I have all aether and almost all electric spells along with some air.
Re: Targeted Magic not going above concentrating 12/19/2005 09:38 AM CST
GZ on swains is the way to go. If they are hitting too hard, or parrying, use tingle.

>>I have all aether and almost all electric spells along with some air.

If you don't have it, get SUF.

-Sephos
Re: Targeted Magic not going above concentrating 12/19/2005 10:40 AM CST
That was my next spell choice... next three are SuF, tremor, CL... I am currently circle 30...

The swains were resisting tingle about half the time. I guess I need to put more into it. I wish SD would cause them to drop their armor and weapons, especially when it does complete paralysis - and they still can swing the weapon!
Re: Targeted Magic not going above concentrating 12/19/2005 12:00 PM CST
I can force swains to drop their weapons with a tingle 10 prep, not sure what minimum is but maybe someone else will.
If they are resisting at that then its something else because two of my war mages arent that far ahead of you, lets just say 10 circles or less. And they are bare minimum mages for their circles, on most skills, TM just seems to kill them every time when they want to circle 8-(
Course then you run into the issue that if you tingle the weapon outta their hands they may become such a lessor critter they may barely teach you, I tend to app them with weapon then weaponless & see a noticable difference sans weapon, very noticable.

Have you had a hot piece lately?
If not then stop on by Mystic Pizza in Mystic CT for a hot steaming piece of pizza.
Re: Targeted Magic not going above concentrating 12/19/2005 01:20 PM CST
>>OK, so I am hunting silver luecros and my TM is not moving above concentrating. It takes forever to get to that state also, I have killed about 19 to get it to this state. I have 121 TM and can kill a leucro in one to two casts of lightning bolt at 12 - 14. What else can I do to get it moving better. Any suggestions? Oh, swains hit too hard currently, but I can take one to two with SD, AEL, and GZ. My armor is catching up but still is 40 - 80 ranks behind my TM.

Use GZ on the silver leucros, it teaches much better than LB does. I was still able to lock TM in silver leucros with 128 ranks of TM.

On the swains, I have never failed to successfully Tingle them with 11 mana, 10 is the minimum prep. However, note that both my magic skills and stats are almost certainly above average for my circle.

Note that a disarmed swain will teach less experience per your attack, but that the caps remain the same.

I have not played with AEL, don't have it, but that GZ is the TM spell that currently teaches best in my experience until you can get CL.

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Info Page http://kynevon.info
Mac OS X FE http://tinyurl.com/9xjyj
Amagaim's What to Hunt Chart
Excel format: http://tinyurl.com/44jlt
HTML format: http://tinyurl.com/6tpls
Re: Targeted Magic not going above concentrating 12/19/2005 01:28 PM CST
I've been in Sprites for the last month back training multi and shield for the most part, along with a bunch of extra weapons so I get as much out of the time spent there as possible. When I get an itching to actually circle, I run into swains and cast stone strike at them, prep at about 11, target head, pause a few seconds, cast. I have a script set up that keeps me retreating throughout, because I can take one or two with my defenses, but any more than that makes me mince pie. If you don't have stone strike I would assume that you can do the same thing with aether lance.

Golgol
Re: Targeted Magic not going above concentrating 12/19/2005 05:59 PM CST
if you can handle 2 silver leucros I'd say stay there a bit and work up defenses as at lower ranks its harder to work all of them in a hunting area unless you focus on defense at higher lvls critters have a larger range at which they teach compared to lower critters. I'm around the same circle as Kynevon and my magic is a great deal higher than my circle but so are my defenses since I need TM only for 5 circles and TM/HE till mid 40's I capped out sand sprites then moved to silver leucros/swains and have found I like unyn personally myself compared to the 2 but will be moving back to swains in a bit though its hard since I'm able to dance with nightreavers at 34th without spells now. It pays off to work defenses high in the end and GZ will be your best TM teacher though I've found ael to work extremely well vs swains since I can snap cast 5 mana and hit their heads without no trouble and it works TM well because its higher damage every cast
Re: Targeted Magic not going above concentrating 12/20/2005 06:36 AM CST
Perhaps I will give it a try with swains. I was using LB because it did more damage and I thought more damage taught more. On a side note, my PM and Harness are well above where it should be... I am approaching 190s in each. I only need HE and TM for awhile. I know I should stay in sprites until multi moves some more, but I am bored and a being bored makes it no fun. No fun = not wanting to play. I like pushing my character and myself.

I am also having issues with mind state. I could stay in sprites indefinitely, with SD even six to eight are manageable, but my mind goes murky with eight or so skills locked. What would help mind state? More INT or WIS? I almost have enough TDPs to raise one and will do more when I circle. I can post stats if needed.
Re: Targeted Magic not going above concentrating 12/20/2005 09:19 AM CST
Int increases your pool size which will mean it takes more to lock up a skill. Wisdom increases the pulse you get as you absorb. Disc will help with not freezing your mind while several skills are locked up.

Xavain
Re: Targeted Magic not going above concentrating 12/20/2005 10:55 AM CST
Strength : 25 Reflex : 17
Agility : 17 Charisma : 8
Discipline : 25 Wisdom : 18
Intelligence : 18 Stamina : 26

I know charisma is low but I am a believer of being able to take a hit or three while casting and swinging my weapon. I do not like to attack and retreat unless with a bow type weapon, a Slai Heavy Crossbow is my first choice for bow and a bastard sword is my primary weapon.

So, increase which to help the mind lock states/overall state of mind?
Re: Targeted Magic not going above concentrating 12/20/2005 10:57 AM CST
All I know is Intell is important. Its always been my highest.

~Velencia~
Untamed Spirit.
Re: Targeted Magic not going above concentrating 12/20/2005 12:55 PM CST
POPWEASEL,

I'm truly in the same boat as you I need nothing but TM/HE for almost 12 circles right now at 35th and I know how it feels to rot in Sand Sprites as I return to ratha from time to time to use them to work lower weapons, armor, hiding/stalking and disarm/lock as I set goals for myself such as set skill at XXX before moving on or circle for a spell slot for a spell I want that will help with training. But if you can hang out in sprites to get armor and multi up to part you'll be set a lot more in the end as the higher you get you'll want the extra defense. I can hunt swains fairly effectively without any spells but I still need a little bit more HE before I hunt them because I 1.) Don't have tingle 2.) don't like to use spells to hunt unless its an invasion or I'm testing a critter to see how it teaches. I started to toggle leucros with sprites to offset the bordem from just sprites.
Re: Targeted Magic not going above concentrating 12/20/2005 08:39 PM CST
My biggest issue with Leucros is that Sprites don't teach me much multi anymore (have to get 8 and keep em to move it) yet Leucs can start tapping my vitality at around 6 of em. I just sit in hatchlins with two of em tho and keep it movin fairly well..
Re: Targeted Magic not going above concentrating 12/20/2005 09:40 PM CST
>Disc will help with not freezing your mind while several skills are locked up.
>Xavain

See what you started trebber?

Disc increases pool size same as intel. Mind freeze happens from a skill that is Mind locked but continues to gain exp.

Fun trivia: Xavian was once played by GM-Talian.
Re: Targeted Magic not going above concentrating 12/20/2005 09:41 PM CST
p.s. just giving you a hard time trebber. don't mean that you are responsible for his false information.
Re: Targeted Magic not going above concentrating 12/20/2005 10:25 PM CST
>Fun trivia: Xavian was once played by GM-Talian. <

Who is Xavian? And Disc was changed, while it does increase your pool it doesn't do it the same amount as Intel. As for helping to keep from freezing your mind from having several skills locked, if I am wrong you've corrected it.

Xavain
Re: Targeted Magic not going above concentrating 12/21/2005 04:52 AM CST
>>Disc increases pool size same as intel. Mind freeze happens from a skill that is Mind locked but continues to gain exp.

Yeah, somehow I think intel increases pool size a lot more than discipline does, pound for pound.

I could be wrong though, I only have 50 int.....
Re: Targeted Magic not going above concentrating 12/21/2005 07:16 AM CST
So the answer is to increase intelligence... I almost have enough to increase it one and I will increase it more when I circle - whenever that is. At the rate TM is moving, might be February before I circle. sigh I think I need another break...

Dartellum Waddle - swinger of sword, caster of spells that go BOOM!
Re: Targeted Magic not going above concentrating 12/21/2005 10:05 AM CST
I probably missed reading a post here.. but if your complaint is TM not going above concentrating greater pool size won't do anything other than possibly making it not go above pondering.

Not being able to learn above concentrating for a primary skill set at your level is nothing new, we have like 4x the pool size it could take ages to fill it especially being a caster guild and having lots and lots of int. I wouldnt be concerned unless your learing pulse % is low, then you'd just want to train wisdom if it bothers you.

IMO, as long as you're not getting mindlocked (and "waste" excess exp) its all good, hunt as much as you want and let it all drain out, because your net gain is gonna be the same no matter what (given you never reach ML).

I know by having a level system DR makes everyone be a l33t power leveler but hey, just realize that bottomline yer not losing anything so stop worrying about maximizing experience and enjoy the game.
Re: Targeted Magic not going above concentrating 12/21/2005 11:32 AM CST
Discipline : 21 Wisdom : 29
Intelligence : 22

Targeted Magic: 150 96% clear

6 Hatchlings later, killing with Either Gar Zeng at 5, Fire Shard at 3[chest target], or Stone Strike at 4[General Targeted] (If one spell rebounds on their hide I use a different one, seems to work, and those are spell priority)

Targeted Magic: 151 02% Mind Lock

Oh and my pulse rate? 2-4% roughly depending on what rank vs. wall I'm at.

Swains.. takes about a twice the number of hatchlings to lock but on them, Gar Zeng all the way, snap casts.. 2-3 of em drops a swain. First room in the tavern [by the bartender] is best mana.

try it, you'll be happier for it.

General warning: don't let more than 2 get on you at melee, keep your buffs up if you decide to train weapons, lock TM on the way out as you'll usually drain your mana and lose your buffs. I like the room where you can go up/down/south on the way to fourth tier in Hatchlings for mana, but one southwest of the passage to first tier works well too.

Hope this helps, and this is probably my longest post ever..

~ Nazaruss, Spell Slinger of Ratha
Re: Targeted Magic not going above concentrating 12/21/2005 01:51 PM CST
>but if your complaint is TM not going above concentrating greater pool size won't do anything other than possibly making it not go above pondering.

You will want to fight something that trains you better. Leucros peter out at about 120-125, so you really should be trying to take swain. I'd suggest tingling them if you have trouble killing them otherwise, then a nice ice patch and a few casts at their vitals to get a few nice damaging hits.

-Durnil
Re: Targeted Magic not going above concentrating 12/21/2005 02:07 PM CST
If your defenses are hurting you when bumping up a critter, you may want to consider one that doesn't swarm and hit hard. Swains might not be your best option. On the islands, 1st tier snoblins and lil' Unyns might be a better choice. Snoblins pay the best anyway.

If your willing to make the trek, I'd suggest vine's/creepers as the next step after sand sprites. The elemental magic is terrible up there, but you can still snap cast a min prep GZ and lock sustainably. They will do wonders for your armor and multi, pay tons and are not dangerous.

And definitely use spells that hit multiple times for TM learning.
Re: Targeted Magic not going above concentrating 12/21/2005 04:52 PM CST
>>If your willing to make the trek, I'd suggest vine's/creepers as the next step after sand sprites. The elemental magic is terrible up there, but you can still snap cast a min prep GZ and lock sustainably. They will do wonders for your armor and multi, pay tons and are not dangerous.

I am assuming that you mean the vones and creepers that I have been playing with, and I have to add a caveat. Vones and creepers on their own are not terribly dangerous, but keep your eye open for the gypsy marauders, as they are dangerous.

With my skills and stats, I can Tingle them and then kill 'em with GZ or FS, but they can still hurt me when disarmed, and I died when I didn't notice that a second one had come into the room while I was still dealing with the first one.

No skinning experience in there, and only the marauders drop boxes, but it isn't a bad area, and there are a couple of rooms with tolerable mana in there.

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Info Page http://kynevon.info
Mac OS X FE http://tinyurl.com/9xjyj
Amagaim's What to Hunt Chart
Excel format: http://tinyurl.com/44jlt
HTML format: http://tinyurl.com/6tpls
Re: Targeted Magic not going above concentrating 12/22/2005 10:07 AM CST
Just highlight the marauder arrival strings and attach a sound to it. It's annoying when you die up there. Not too much support.

~Purehand
Re: Targeted Magic not going above concentrating 12/22/2005 07:52 PM CST
Also...Use spells corespondant with your TM skill...Uzing GZ doesn't seem to lock as fast for me as using ALA/LB and obviously TM soars when I use CL...Seems like the more damage I cause, the better I learn.

--Halexe Dreg'Atar--