Target training recommendations 07/26/2004 07:52 PM CDT
Hi everyone:
I was wondering if someone could post a list of what critters they have hunted while training target and at one point they stopped learing target with those critters and which critters they moved on to next. I think this guide would be very useful to new players, also to people like me who have just over 140 lessons but are unsure where to go to learn targetting next. I'm sure there is a list out there somewhere I just do not know where to look. Thanks
Re: Target training recommendations 07/27/2004 01:12 AM CDT
My progression, pretty vague on most of the learning caps (in brackets), feel free to add and edit.

rats (30)
badgers (50)
pothanits (50)
trollkins
nyads/dryads
cougars
water sprites
eels/rams (80)
dusk ogres (80)
blood wolves(100)
haven swampies (150)
morah vines/creepers (110)
marauders (150)
swain (170)
hatchlings (180)
shaggy barghests (200)
Haven unyns (200 reavers?)
Lang trolls and peccs(>200)
black leucs (>200)
3rd tier snoblins (230)
fendryads (>230)
la'heke (>230)
orc scouts/warcats (>200)
hulking barghests (>250)
orc bandits/warcats (>250)
Re: Target training recommendations 07/27/2004 04:22 AM CDT
<<hulking barghests (>250)>> i still learn on them fine at 330
<<orc bandits/warcats (>250)>> same thing, though they are slowing down at 330

Rehlyn

The strongbox just bounced out of the room near a low tunnel!
You waggle a finger at a marine creature.
Re: Target training recommendations 07/27/2004 07:32 AM CDT
If you dont want to go to the islands for swain and hatchlings, after Haven swampies use serpents and vipers in Haven.
I also found bone wolves south of Leth taught better than duskies.
Dont forget about snowies either, I hunted them before swampies.
Re: Target training recommendations 07/27/2004 11:45 AM CDT
I would go to Haven and learn it on Swamp Trolls then after it slows down, head to Lang, just over the barge, to Peccs and Maul Swamp Trolls. You need to keep your multi up. Luckily, Vines can help you. Peccs will teach you target till over 220.

I also recommend it cuz the mana is decent.

Woodcubb of Ilithi
Re: Target training recommendations 07/27/2004 09:20 PM CDT
>>eels/rams (80)

I don't know about rams (which type? Meadow or Thunder?), but grass eels, at least in the riverbed, don't teach me TM at all, at 65 ranks.

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Kynevon's DR Links Page: http://kynevon.info/index.html
Mac OS X FE: http://www.simucon2004.com/~kynevon/DragonRealms/WaveFront.zip
Re: Target training recommendations 07/28/2004 01:04 PM CDT
At 140 ranks vipers in crossing should teach you well but make sure you have the defensive ranks to deal with their poison.

Mordimer
Re: Target training recommendations 07/28/2004 10:41 PM CDT
what kind of defenses should I have for vipers to deal with their poison?
Re: Target training recommendations 07/29/2004 10:16 AM CDT
A shield. I was hunting in there with approximately 100 ranks, and I only got in trouble if three or more wandered in. More than that with multi to help and you should be safe. You're not going to avoid all the spits, but you want to minimize the ones that hit.

"It's amazing how much of a deterrent a big 9mm can be to a group of mimes, even evil ones."
-- Sir Anthony Marks, "One Enchanted Evening"
Re: Target training recommendations 07/29/2004 12:55 PM CDT
Shield is your best bet, but if you don't train it you'd need about a 100 ranks in evasion plus a good SW/SuF. If you have FRB, use it when they swarm too much, or use it anyways they are pretty prone to it and there is good mana in most the rooms there.

Mordimer
Re: Target training recommendations 08/22/2004 10:48 PM CDT
I quit training in blood wolves after 92 (needed a bunch in a row to make it work), have gone into fire sprites and maidens at Skeleton's Crook, or whatever it's called, near Dirge, off the NTR. They train fine, but my defensive skills aren't up to the firecats. Any suggestions? Weapon and defenses are in the high sixties to mid seventies. I dread going somewhere to train defenses until they match TM. Thanks.

The player of Darcwind
Re: Target training recommendations 08/23/2004 12:54 PM CDT
>Any suggestions?

sansprites on ratha

Player of Tessaa
Re: Target training recommendations 08/23/2004 04:08 PM CDT
>>sansprites on ratha. Player of Tessaa<<

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, I was in sand sprites before I went to blood wolves. They taught great to about high 80's, and then I started having trouble locking. Blood wolves really did the trick for awhile, but the term was brief. Sand sprites are terrific for building defensive skills while you're casting, though. My multi really jumped in there. Thanks again.

The player of Darcwind
Re: Target training recommendations 08/23/2004 04:20 PM CDT
if you can get into serpents in haven and stay away frmo the vipers, they're great for that area

-Durn
Re: Target training recommendations 08/23/2004 07:31 PM CDT
Snow beast are perfect for you. The spot north of the gondola has good mana and they are teaching me reasonably good @ 104 TM. This is where I came from blood wolves and I was sooooooo happy.

Only downside: Not easy to skin
Remedy (for me): Stop by bone wolves every now and then to collect some skins for money.
Re: Target training recommendations 08/23/2004 07:57 PM CDT
>>if you can get into serpents in haven and stay away frmo the vipers, they're great for that area-Durn<<

I've never been in there, but I'll certainly check it out. Thanks!

>>Snow beast are perfect for you. The spot north of the gondola has good mana and they are teaching me reasonably good @ 104 TM. This is where I came from blood wolves and I was sooooooo happy.Only downside: Not easy to skin Remedy (for me): Stop by bone wolves every now and then to collect some skins for money.<<

I went down to snowies twice and got beat around a bit, defensive skills not good enough then. Maybe I'll try them again, and make sure to do more retreating! Thanks!

The player of Darcwind
Re: Target training recommendations 08/23/2004 09:49 PM CDT
<<I went down to snowies twice and got beat around a bit, defensive skills not good enough then. Maybe I'll try them again, and make sure to do more retreating! Thanks!>>

Actually I wouldn't do that if I were you. When I went to snowies I had mid-80's TM and mid90's evasion/LC and just over 100 parry. It sounds like you might be in a situation where your defenses are lower than your TM? I would suggest picking up an extra weapon and letting your defenses catch up to your TM before going to snowies...?
Re: Target training recommendations 08/24/2004 05:33 PM CDT
sand sprites = level 12
rock trolls & blood wolves = 14
snow beasts = 16
gargs = 18
swains = 20

The above creatures have skills about equal to a barb of that circle. This link may help http://www.olwydd.org/guilds/barbarian/cr.php

The bestiary on the Dragonrealms home page has creature levels also. The bestiary should be correct for all creature on the islands. If they're not on the islands, the bestiary may be incorrect.

Also, one more thing to keep in mind....The old gnomish proverb..."It's not always how much exp you can get per critter, sometimes it's how many critters you can get to get exp from." In other words....swarms = good.

Player of Tessaa
Re: Target training recommendations 12/14/2004 06:52 AM CST
I effected me sometime after I left field goblins. Had to hunt different things. Not such a big deal, since you can learn target from missle. I have to hunt la'heke for target, hatchlings for heavy edge and sand sprites for shortbow.

I dont mind though, gives some variety.

I could see at 400 ranks where it would be a life and death thing, where if the thing you casting at hits you your toast, where im not at. I can dance with one la'heke if I have buffs up.

Limitation strictly defined by motivation. - Edan