how to learn summoning 03/16/2013 11:08 PM CDT

hey i'm a new WM and trying to figure out how to learn summoning. i seem to be figuring out most of the other magic stuff but this one has me stumped. any help?
player of Bammr
Re: how to learn summoning 03/16/2013 11:39 PM CDT
>>hey i'm a new WM and trying to figure out how to learn summoning. i seem to be figuring out most of the other magic stuff but this one has me stumped. any help?

Use pathways.
Re: how to learn summoning 03/17/2013 12:20 AM CDT
A new WM won't have a pathway. First one is level 4 or so.

To learn summoning you'll need to align to an element.

After that you can perform admittance and impedence to build charge and discharge charge. Or you can cast spells you're aligned to to build charge, then 'summon imped' to deplete your charge levels. Admit and Imped will take around 20 seconds with summoning below 100, and both will teach you summoning fairly well.

My method was to go to rats, lock TM by casting my elemental alignment spell, then summon imped till I was at 0 again, and continue working whatever other weapons I wanted. Note I didn't leave combat, so I was still learning my defenses, etc. Highly recommend you stance shield for that...

Pants.
Re: how to learn summoning 03/17/2013 01:59 AM CDT

thanks. that helped a lot and i'm learning just great now.
can you suggest a spell progression to start out with? i would like to be able to work on learning all the schools as soon as i can but don't know if that would hurt me by missing spells i will really need.
Re: how to learn summoning 03/17/2013 06:54 AM CDT
>can you suggest a spell progression to start out with? i would like to be able to work on learning all the schools as soon as i can but don't know if that would hurt me by missing spells i will really need.

First: all spells are on preview right now. You can cast everything, and can't learn anything. It's related to the 3.0 roll outs, and the constant bug tweaking going on. I'd suggest playing with spells to see which you like/love/must have/can't stand.

Actual advice: You will want/need a spell from every magic skill asap. That's utility, augmentation, TM, warding, debilitation. You also want intro/basic spells starting out, they will be what you can actually cast. The AP spellbook is no longer 'free' so you'll want to just stick to in-guild spells, because there's not a lot of reason not to unless you want the effects from ease or STRA etc. My last noob character I used Air bubble for utility, Etherial shield for warding, Mark of Arhat for debilitation, and substratum for augmentation. It's probably not optimized, but it was functional.

There is nearly enough variety in the WM spellbooks that you can just pick whatever intro/basic difficulty spell you want from each magic skill and cast it. As for TM, I'd just pick the one that fits your aligned element and general RP'ed theme. The days of 'you must use GZ because it will train 40000 ranks of TM' are over. All of the intro TM spells are good. Except stone strike. There is a system bug with multi-shot spells dealing 2 or less damage types that is crippling Stone Strike right now, I'd avoid it.

Pants.
Re: how to learn summoning 03/17/2013 08:11 AM CDT
Prior to having access to the Pathways, you'll also learn some Summoning just by having a familiar out.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: how to learn summoning 03/17/2013 02:04 PM CDT

>> All of the intro TM spells are good. Except stone strike.

We are in global preview so this isn't a huge deal, but avoid all multi-strike spells for now. A few weeks ago I put 75 casts of gar zeng on a creature that refused to die. This has been somewhat alleviated with the recent bug fix but they are still not in a lot of trouble.

Also, ignite + mark of arhat is really fun.
Re: how to learn summoning 03/17/2013 02:45 PM CDT
A spell progression is going to depend on what element you align to. You want to avoid spells from your opposing element as much as possible. That said, it isn't that hard to build charge and at low levels you can't even use it. Also, TM and Debilitation depend on the difficulty of the target not the spell.

Spell Suggestions - Not a complete list, just a couple options from different Elements:
Utility: Ignite - Basic (Fire), Air Bubble - Basic (Air)
Augmentation: Sure Footing - Basic (Earth), Swirling Winds - Basic (Air), Substratum - Basic (Aether)
TM: Any of the Intro spells will work for learning, if not killing. The non-multi strikes are Geyser (Water) and Air Lash (Air)
Warding: Ethereal Shield - Intro (Aether), Manifest Force - Basic (AP)
Debilitation: Anther's Call - Basic (Earth), Ice Patch - Basic (Water), Mark of Arhat - Basic (Fire)

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: how to learn summoning 03/17/2013 05:31 PM CDT

i just realized that we don't have to choose spells yet so i will save this list for later.
when you speak of an element to align to are you saying that we will be choosing one to specialize in or just referring to what we are aligned to at the moment?
thanks for the help
Re: how to learn summoning 03/17/2013 07:10 PM CDT
Alignment can be changed with a few seconds in RT, once you're at 0 charge.

Most WM have a thematic alignment for their RP though, and keep it static.

There isn't a permanent lock-in in any form.

Pants.
Re: how to learn summoning 03/18/2013 07:47 AM CDT
>>Most WM have a thematic alignment for their RP though, and keep it static.<<

Does anyone actually do this? WMs, sound off.

OP, you're not locked into any particular choice and there isn't one that is necessarily better than all the others. You want to choose an Alignment (probably) primarily based on the spells you cast most often, so you can gain charge, and secondarily based on the Pathways you want to use once you have those.
Re: how to learn summoning 03/18/2013 10:39 AM CDT
My warmage hadn't before. Lately though I have been thinking about aligning my warmage to an element, mostly because of the alignment ability. I am very very tempted to go the earth route. Spells choices does influence a lot which direction I go.
Re: how to learn summoning 03/18/2013 10:41 AM CDT
To me picking a thematic element is something that only works at low circles. After you get further up it becomes kind of silly IMO to avoid having access to the rest of your spells just to keep up a flavor.
Re: how to learn summoning 03/18/2013 11:16 AM CDT

I made my RP fit my alignment choice. Fire is simple enough to conjure, so I'm aligned air to help fan the flames (and taint the air spellbook with flame shockwave).

Air covers my debil(TC), augment(SW/YS), utility(BG, AB, hopefully zephyr soon?), and TM(FLS/SHOCK) well though.
Re: how to learn summoning 03/18/2013 02:54 PM CDT

>Does anyone actually do this? WMs, sound off.

I've always player my mage as a water cabalist and happily nerfed myself out of the Fire book, but even I wouldn't align water for RP purposes! I'm usually air-aligned because air spells make up the vast, vast bulk of my combat casting.
Re: how to learn summoning 03/19/2013 05:44 PM CDT

Yeah, I originally RPed my warmie as a pure lightning wrath kind of guy. Kinda crazy and chaotic.
Re: how to learn summoning 03/20/2013 10:39 AM CDT
Elriic's bent has always been fire and always been. Any benefit for aligning to another element will never outweigh sticking to fire in his book. He aligned himself to it the moment the align verb became available and hasn't looked back.

I will say that the moment I can align the negative aspect away from water, I will. Probably I will align against aether as the only spell I really use is aether cloak and I never really felt much affinity towards it in the old system either.

*These are purely RP considerations and have no bearing at all on how useful or not useful certain skills are or aren't.*

<<"earning too little skinning experience for a day or so isn't nearly as bad as having a spell that breaks your wings."
Re: how to learn summoning 03/21/2013 10:37 AM CDT
I feel I'd be naturally attuned and it amuses me, it's also the element I use most. I think I went with opposite air at first, but I went with water since I'll probably just pass on that entire book. Ip's nice for a quick snap knock over, but I find myself using Tremor, TC, and shockwave a lot. Vertigo also seems to work a lot for me when ANC and IP fail.

I heavily considered aether main, just because as a master WM it made sense to me. I'm curious with sorcery or at higher levels, if there'd be alternate options available - elemental planar theory/ways of thought. It's sorcery, why can't the math be a little fuzzy?

A truly skilled warrior mage should have the training to be flexible to adjust even their natural attunement. I wonder if we could temporarily force our wills on other things? Lakes of fire, floating rocks, familiar visiony stuff - Y'know like that crazy moonie island.

Re: how to learn summoning 03/21/2013 08:33 PM CDT

Yeah, after warding/buffing it's relatively easy to stay focused on one book while you train target and to a lesser degree debil.
Re: how to learn summoning 03/21/2013 09:15 PM CDT

I have on other characters. Never on Opieus. Opieus has always been kind of stupidly obedient to the guild. All the elements are guild spells to him, and thus equal. I had a really difficult time picking an element for him to attune to, since he thinks Warrior Mages shouldn't limit themselves based on Element.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: how to learn summoning 03/21/2013 10:31 PM CDT
i take back my comment on ignoring the water book
I would pick soemthing up to get the water glove cantrip