Tired of Being So Weak! 07/09/2012 03:20 AM CDT
Well, I was holding off posting on the forum for a while just because I was so nervous, and I feel sort of dumb for having to admit some stuff, but here goes nothing.

I have been playing Dragonrealms for a while now, and I can't help but feel like I'm doing everything wrong, both in regards to training and to using magic and possibly even fighting in general. I tend to die all the time. I feel very weak, and I am wondering whether it's because warmages tend to err on the side of the "squishy wizard" archetype, or (and this is what I fear) that I just suck and am very underpowered for my circle. I say this because a lot of people I see seem to much stronger and better equipped to handle themselves in combat than I am. I know that 100+ circle is common nowadays which amazes me, considering that it took me a very long time to get to where I am now, and I'm not even 60th yet. Is there something I'm missing in regards to training? I have no skills over 300, and training seems to take forever at this stage even now, so I am amazed and impressed at how people can get it way, way past that.

The reason I say I notice people being much stronger than me is mostly in regards to combat in quests. When I was going to quests around 20th or so, I expected to get killed because I was just so young. But now that I'm over 50th, I still get killed. Even in Akigwe's Tower, where I read (maybe read wrong?) that critters won't even advance on me if I can't handle them. And I still couldn't! So clearly something is wrong with me. Also, I've noticed that a lot of other mages can cast very powerful spells very quickly and in rapid succession. That has always baffled me. How do you do that without having it backfire? I feel I am missing something very painfully obvious here, and I'm sorry for asking in that case. I am sort of a loner, so I mostly taught myself a lot of what I'm doing... and that's probably why I'm in such bad shape.

I know that in order to get stronger, I need to practice. But I'm worried I'm practicing the wrong things and building up bad habits. Or not choosing the right spells I need to help me out in combat. Right now, I'm practicing fighting against Kra'hei hatchlings on Ratha, which I feel may be too easy, but I'm really not sure where to go from there without fighting something that's waaaay over my head in difficulty. Is it worth it to train with something that can very easily kill me? I die all the time already, but if it's going to help me get stronger, then I'll gladly do it. As far as buffs go, the only ones I have are zephyr and swirling winds, the latter being quite useful. Is there anything else I should look into? Any skills in particular I should be training?

I feel like I'm so far behind. I just hope that it's possible to correct all my mistakes. I have always wanted to go to one of those sparring events, but I know, without a doubt, that somebody even 10 circles lower than me could kick my tail without breaking a sweat. I would appreciate any and all advice! Please help me... I'm just so tired of being weak.
Re: Tired of Being So Weak! 07/09/2012 07:08 AM CDT
You'll be much better served by posting your numbers. Stats, ranks, spells, and stances.

I would offer that level 50 is the new 10; most of the time you're looking at 50 getting you enough pm to get good effect and duration out of the signature spells, and for the most part in prime you'll want to be 80ish to 'matter'.
Re: Tired of Being So Weak! 07/09/2012 07:40 AM CDT
<<50 getting you enough pm to get good effect and duration out of the signature spells>>

even at over 50th <i'm at 56 in WM, I can't cast the "signature" spells of that guild very well <chain lightning and fire rain>.

what i'm planning on doing to "catch up" with my wm when I get the chance, is the same way i did to get my barb up to speed. Namely going back and backtraining other weapons, other armors, etc, making sure I have all my defenses and such up for TDP purposes.

Unfortunately, if you only train to "guild requirements" for pretty much any guild out there <unless you're a non-combat empath or trader- yes, i know combat varieties are out there and do very well, i am speaking of those who specifically train as non=combat characters> -- you will be behind the 8-ball.

So you pretty much have to train all guilds in a similar fashion to "catch up" in combat. At times things listed on the bestiary as similar levels can be very different in practice, depending on your individual set-up, armor, etc.

For instance, for most characters, I can usually go right from beisswurms to bloodwolves. For one of my mm's , he was having a terrible time trying to survive in there since they changed the area so you can get more than 2 wolves on you at a time. So... I took him over to Ratha to learn with sandsprites <even though he's not a box-popper - i ussually don't train any non-boxpopping character there>, and he's doing just fine.

So fight a creature that you feel capable of handling, and train your defenses as well, dance with it a bit, don't just train one weapon. Train a few, so that by the time your other weapons catch up, your defenses will be enough so that you can get along even without buffs. Then when you need your buffs, you'll have them available.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Tired of Being So Weak! 07/09/2012 08:21 AM CDT
>backtraining other weapons, other armors, etc, making sure I have all my defenses and such up

This is a super important point. We're (eventually) required to train three weapons. Train them all now, and on the same critter. You might even pick up some more for the time being. Warrior Mages are archetypically glass cannons, but you can train your defenses to make up for it.

Some general suggestions (these may require backtraining):
- Train shield. Seriously, if you aren't now, start.
- Train multiple weapons.
- Train different types of weapons. LE/ME/HE isn't going to do you much good.
- Keep training all your stats. They're all important.
- Train magic all the time.
- Make time to train magic outside of combat.
- Train perception. Hunt, Forage, Boxes... It's not hard to find perception.
- Repair your armor/weapons regularly.
- SD things into twitching and then don't kill them. This will let you train defenses easier.
- Get nerve damage healed, then find the highest you can cast your spells.
- Find a good mana room and find what mana you can recover in the time it takes to fully prep your spells.
- Pick an amount of mana, and slowly cast faster so you know how fast you can cast at that mana.

More specifically, you might try Brocket Deer. They have several tiers, but the helpful thing is the cougars. The top and middle tier have cougars, and they're basically a free engagement slot that you don't have to worry about. So get two cougars and two deer, and just kill deer. It might take a few frantic minutes to get the cougars, where you have to kill things as fast as you can. This helps train defenses, and you can slowly move up to three deer and one cougar. Then four deer. Then two Elder deer and two cougars...

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Tired of Being So Weak! 07/09/2012 10:35 AM CDT
First of all, thank you so much for all the advice! I will keep it all in mind. I figured at least some back training was inevitable, but now I've got a good starting place to start so I can start to catch up a bit!

Here are some stats:
Circle: 56
Showing all skills that you have skill in.

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate Fraction
Shield Usage: 49 45% clear (0/34) Leather Armor: 80 19% clear (0/34)
Light Chain: 173 13% clear (0/34) Heavy Chain: 21 95% clear (0/34)
Light Plate: 3 60% clear (0/34) Heavy Plate: 39 11% clear (0/34)
Cloth Armor: 60 38% clear (0/34) Parry Ability: 191 03% clear (0/34)
Multi Opponent: 169 31% clear (0/34) Light Edged: 8 30% clear (0/34)
Medium Edged: 194 04% clear (0/34) Heavy Edged: 120 13% clear (0/34)
Twohanded Edged: 15 15% clear (0/34) Heavy Blunt: 72 95% clear (0/34)
Slings: 6 32% clear (0/34) Short Bow: 78 95% clear (0/34)
Long Bow: 12 02% clear (0/34) Halberds: 58 87% clear (0/34)
Light Thrown: 18 45% clear (0/34) Heavy Thrown: 17 10% clear (0/34)
Brawling: 55 74% clear (0/34) Offhand Weapon: 69 76% clear (0/34)
Elemental Magic: 293 56% clear (0/34) Harness Ability: 300 44% clear (0/34)
Power Perceive: 284 76% clear (0/34) Arcana: 234 66% clear (0/34)
Targeted Magic: 229 98% clear (0/34) Evasion: 168 47% clear (0/34)
Climbing: 68 69% clear (0/34) Perception: 174 13% clear (0/34)
Hiding: 82 50% clear (0/34) Lockpicking: 166 00% clear (0/34)
Disarm Traps: 180 38% clear (0/34) Stalking: 71 41% clear (0/34)
Stealing: 45 44% clear (0/34) First Aid: 142 64% clear (0/34)
Foraging: 22 60% clear (0/34) Escaping: 36 29% clear (0/34)
Skinning: 116 86% clear (0/34) Swimming: 47 47% clear (0/34)
Scholarship: 201 97% clear (0/34) Mechanical Lore: 104 63% clear (0/34)
Appraisal: 62 99% clear (0/34) Teaching: 160 52% clear (0/34)
Animal Lore: 6 66% clear (0/34) Percussions: 0 93% clear (0/34)
Strings: 6 70% clear (0/34) Winds: 84 33% clear (0/34)
Vocals: 72 87% clear (0/34)

Strength : 28 Reflex : 35
Agility : 23 Charisma : 32
Discipline : 20 Wisdom : 31
Intelligence : 32 Stamina : 22

Sadly, I only started training shield just recently, and I know my survivals are pretty pathetic. For some reason, I have a lot of trouble with training them. Also, I've always been a little nervous about using up all my TDPs, so I've always had a lot of extra in store. Now I know to just use 'em all and not look back.

Also, in regards to weapons and armor, is store-brought stuff junk? Should I be buying player-made/forged instead?

Again, thanks a lot. I'll be sure to try out those deer!
Re: Tired of Being So Weak! 07/09/2012 11:13 AM CDT

I'd definitely recommend picking up 2-3 new weapons. You have ME, so maybe MB, and a thrown, and a two handed weapon like 2he.

Are you using WM buff spells? That will help survivability. Might list your spell choices too.
Re: Tired of Being So Weak! 07/09/2012 11:24 AM CDT
Well on the skill training advice Im sure the other WMs will get you goin straight there, but you need to spend some major major time on the DISC and STAM stats. Your DISC being that low is most likely affecting your spells in fairly negative way and your stamina being that low is going to be hurting your survivability. Start putting effort into evening your stats out to say 35ish each and then you can go from there and youll be in much better shape. I feel your pain though in general, my WM (all my chars for that matter) have always seemed under powered in comparison to others. Just have to keep in mind though how over leveled most folks are at this point 100+ circles are a dime a dozen and the majority of player base behind them is sitting near the 70-80s marks.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

"Power is merely a stepping stone to more power."
Re: Tired of Being So Weak! 07/09/2012 12:21 PM CDT
For starters, you could choose a couple of weapons to backtrain with your shield. It looks like you could train heavy blunt, shortbow, and halberd together while locking shield, which would give you a nice diversity to your weapon choices (just missing a thrown, might want to sub LT or HT for halberd). While you're doing that, you could be training stealths too.

Climbing and swimming are very easy to train and fairly useful, as a WM they'll lock and stay draining while you train other things.

It's good that you trained boxes, as someone else pointed out perception is very important and boxes combined with hunting will train it well.

I'm not an expert with WM magic, other posters had good advice: learn how fast you can cast spells at what mana through experimentation, use all your buffs as strong as you can make them, etc.

Lastly, most store-bought gear is pretty bad, and forged weapons and armor are quite good. A full set of gear can be expensive, but if you go straight to the crafter it's possible to get a deal.

Good luck!
Re: Tired of Being So Weak! 07/09/2012 01:01 PM CDT
>but you need to spend some major major time on the DISC and STAM stats

This. And your Agility. Agility plays a big part in offense when you use balanced weapons, like most ME.

>Also, in regards to weapons and armor, is store-brought stuff junk? Should I be buying player-made/forged instead?

Player-made stuff is always going to be better. The big concern with gear right now is damage. Recent changes have made it so your stuff gets damaged over time in combat. So you could be standing around in practically destroyed armor and not realize it.

Right now might be a good time to get some forged weapons and armor because the new system is out, so people are experimenting with it anyway. Or it might make it a bad time, I haven't really checked the market recently.

"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Tired of Being So Weak! 07/09/2012 01:03 PM CDT
Also, if you can't afford forged gear, you can consider doing a quest that drops the gear you want (pay RL cash for it) or grab a lootsack, has 500 plat in it someone told me.
Re: Tired of Being So Weak! 07/09/2012 08:24 PM CDT
Current spell list:
Ethereal Shield, Aether Cloak, Aether Lash, Ethereal Fissure, Aether Lance
Arc Light, Tingle
Fire Shard, Fire Ball, Dragon's Breath, Mantle of Flame, Fire Rain
Frostbite, Ice Patch, Rising Mists, Veil of Ice, Fortress of Ice, Frost Scythe, Rimefang
Sure Footing
Zephyr, Shockwave, Swirling Winds, Air Bubble

Is Air Bubble totally useless? I have no clue why I got that one, to be honest. I could probably get rid of that and replace it with GZ so I could get Static Discharge, since that one in particular was mentioned earlier as being useful. But I'm not sure if I can really spare the TDPs, especially considering all the skills I need to catch up on. Hmm...

Also, would weapons acquired from the Squat Bungalow be better than average? I've got the icy blue blade that changes size and self-repairs, but I'm not sure if it's one of those "looks awesome but is sort of sub-par" type deals. I might just keep that one for RP or something.

Again, thank you everyone! I can't say how much I appreciate all the advice and good wishes.
Re: Tired of Being So Weak! 07/09/2012 08:46 PM CDT

>Is Air Bubble totally useless?

It's incredibly niche, not being converted to 3.0, and likely to be replaced by a magic device in the future... so you can stand to get rid of it and pick up GZ.

>would weapons acquired from the Squat Bungalow be better than average?

They are currently ancient and destined to be updated; definantly wait.
Re: Tired of Being So Weak! 07/10/2012 07:28 AM CDT
You can forget one spell for free periodically (I think 6 months past your last forget) so you can do that.

GZ is amazing for training but I'm not sure if, at 200+ TM, you're needing something better.

And for gods sake stay away from the bungalow weapons. They're all toys with crossings stats. If you're using the ice blade drop it and get yourself some regular weapons; you can do a stow;get command in 1/10 of a second instead of the 3-10 seconds it takes to shape the blade. And get the same performance.

I have to ask, at 50+ as a WM, can you seriously not afford to buy some forged weapons? Especially if you're opening boxes, I've had several characters with 100+ plats before 30th. You should be able to find a good light weapon for 20ish plat a run on the shopping plaza tables, for almost every weapon type. If you're not familiar, traders typically price table goods so that the last 2-3 digits of the price reflect weight. You'll likely want to aim for the 20s in weight, and just get plain Jane steel (it's the rare metals that cost thousands).
Re: Tired of Being So Weak! 07/10/2012 09:35 AM CDT
Oh, it's not that I can't afford them! I will definitely get myself something forged now. It was just that until semi-recently I was hesitant because I didn't really know a whole lot about the system in general, if that makes any sense. Although I wish I had known about this stuff way earlier... Oh well. Live and learn. Thanks for that tip about the weight, too.
Re: Tired of Being So Weak! 07/10/2012 11:16 AM CDT
>>GZ is amazing for training but I'm not sure if, at 200+ TM, you're needing something better.

CL, but they'll have to get GZ on way to it.
Re: Tired of Being So Weak! 07/10/2012 12:38 PM CDT
Train shield. That is your glaring weakness in my opinion. All other factors seem in line with your circle.

Madigan
Re: Tired of Being So Weak! 07/10/2012 01:19 PM CDT
>GZ is amazing for training but I'm not sure if, at 200+ TM, you're needing something better.

At 200+ I can still learn easily from GZ. If his other Magics (PM and Harness) aren't way ahead, CL will just drain his attunement too fast to be useful, even at min prep.

Re: Tired of Being So Weak! 07/12/2012 11:45 PM CDT
First thing, shield is a must. With new experience, it won't take long at all to get it up to par. I'd definitely suggest at least one more weapon. As the others have pointed out, you'll eventually run into your requirement for a third weapon, and it's a lot easier to train them all together than to be forced to backtrain one later down the road. HT wouldn't be a bad choice at all, since at the moment at least WMs have the ability to create an incredibly powerful HT at will (from my understanding.) Throwns are also great for a quick and easy weapon in general. Good work with those box skills/perception so far!

Don't worry about not being able to correct all your mistakes. I really couldn't think of a single thing that couldn't be fixed with a little effort and desire. The fact that you're so willing to put in said effort is a -great- sign and I think you'll go far on that.

And my last piece of advice - definitely go to the spars. You'll be able to get plenty of advice at those, meet some awesome people, and there is absolutely no way better to learn than by losing. If you don't know what your weaknesses are, how can you ever strengthen them? Plus it gives you a fun and safe environment to test out your abilities and really push yourself to learn your limits, both as a character and a player.
Re: Tired of Being So Weak! 07/14/2012 03:28 PM CDT
>WMs have the ability to create an incredibly powerful HT at will (from my understanding.)

At the moment, though it can be mana intensive. LT would be easier if you want to use FrS to make some throwns quickly. This is also changing with the new system, and we're not sure how yet.

Re: Tired of Being So Weak! 07/14/2012 09:22 PM CDT
I have to agree with the people who say to train shield. I barely trained to the requirements as a cleric for a while, and had a reason to be sorry. Later on when I started non-combat chars, I made sure to train shield with them. They can hold their own pretty well in invasions and such now. Also, make sure to train extra weapons so if you should for whatever reason lose whatever weapon you're using, you'll have alternatives.

Good luck!

Player of...

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Tired of Being So Weak! 07/19/2012 11:04 PM CDT
>You should be able to find a good light weapon for 20ish plat a run on the shopping plaza tables, for almost every weapon type. If you're not familiar, traders typically price table goods so that the last 2-3 digits of the price reflect weight. You'll likely want to aim for the 20s in weight, and just get plain Jane steel (it's the rare metals that cost thousands).

Come see me, in person or by IM. I can set you up with a good set of weapons.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Tired of Being So Weak! 07/25/2012 11:21 AM CDT
I'm on vacation right now but you can message me and when I get back I can put you together some decent chain. AIM is Craetosdr.