training magics 03/22/2012 05:15 AM CDT

so ive been gone for quite some time and im trying to find the best way to train arcana pm and harness
Elemental Magic: 223 93% thinking (5/34) Harness Ability: 227 02% concentrating (9/34)
Power Perceive: 192 02% thoughtful (4/34) Arcana: 152 60% examining (13/34)
Targeted Magic: 175 08% clear (0/34)

anyone got a magic formula for the fastest way to lock them? i have suf ys es sd sw mab and alot of th other spells that can be used so i was wondering if anyone has any REAL advice on how to quickly lock magics
Re: training magics 03/22/2012 06:52 AM CDT

Also recently returned myself, so take this for what you will.

From what I gather, higher tier spells train PM/Harn well by pumping a lot of mana into them, and charging with as much as you can maintain will train arcana. It also seems like attunement restores more quickly the higher it is, so I try to keep attunement above 70%.

TL;DR: More mana.
Re: training magics 03/22/2012 07:36 AM CDT
I typically use looped castings in combat; just cast es/suf/rime/etc every 30 seconds. Will lock eventually.

Or I use a MD script where I charge an MD with the most mans I can regen in under 30 seconds, usually sim for roughly 5 second charge rt for the best time vs exp, and then cast a spell at min mana, focus, repeat. Most of the time I lock pm almost as an afterthought honesty; I set up my scripts to work other skills first since pm will stay moving pretty well as long as I keep doing stuff.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: training magics 03/22/2012 08:04 AM CDT
>anyone got a magic formula for the fastest way to lock them?

Fastest way to lock TM, PM, and Harn = CL.

PP = you're stuck with power walking. You can work a little PM and Harn along the way if you prep MAB, pow, cast, move, repeat.

MD = get an orb, charge until full; discharge with one big Engery Bolt, repeat.
Re: training magics 03/22/2012 08:56 AM CDT
Outside combat:
YS is probably your best bet for now, cast it over and over at whatever amounts you regenerate while you cast. Use cambrinth to spread the mana out over more time (so you're always recovering), and gaining MD. I currently use Fissure with 100ish ranks more than you. My sequence is prep/charge/focus/perc/cast.

In combat:
I've heard MaB is a good trainer, but I've never tried it out. I have a toggle in my script that casts Rimefang every time through my melee loop, so it constantly bleeds PM/Har/MD into my pool. It's not great for MD at the levels I'm casting it though. For PP, I despise power-walking. After every kill I perceive to check my buffs (and rebuff if needed). My PP slowly locks in combat.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Expert Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: training magics 03/22/2012 10:27 AM CDT
Fissure. Just keep casting fissure. Cast twice of the same element, then twice of the opposite element. Charge a cambrinth while doing it. You'll mostly have a fissure out, so probably won't run out of attunement.
Re: training magics 03/22/2012 11:14 AM CDT

Did some testing and MAB really did it for me...min prep with 5 mana in a cambrinth orb works my pm and harness ridiculously well outside of combat. so now im going to try some of the other suggestions for arcana thanks to you all for the suggestions and ideas.
Re: training magics 03/23/2012 12:06 AM CDT
Take this for what you will but I started at an early circle with this spell and still learning it past 150th - Earth Sense.

Personally, when I'm out of combat what I do is:

Prep EAS xx
Charge <cambrinth> xx
charge <cambrinth> xx
focus <cambrinth>
cast
perceive

Now if you go on a power walking trip and lock up and then start casting and perceiving you can actually maintain a ML state or even build up to it. You can throw in some foraging rocks for foraging and perception after each cast to regain mana as well. In the end, the name of the game is repetition until the 3.0 changes as there are no spells (that I've noticed) that will lock you extremely fast like the old days. Just fool around to find the "xx" values that you can sustain over time and you will lock. Best of luck.

-P

P.S. - Almost forgot to mention, you don't HAVE to reach Mind Locked to learn great anymore. I just still use that as a gauge to know if I'm doing something right or if it is time to tweak the mana or routine.

Luck is nothing more than opportunity meeting preparation.
Re: training magics 03/31/2012 03:53 PM CDT
Porm - do you find EAS to be a more effective teaching spell than MOF?
Re: training magics 04/01/2012 02:45 PM CDT
When spamming magics, you want to cast the most difficult spell you can. EASE preps very rapidly, which means you'll be be able to successfully charge up a cambrinth and discharge it, more rapidly. Using EASE, you'll be able to move Arcana faster than PM. I can't put 30+ mana into 3rd tier spells, so my Warmie just uses single orb charged Fissure casts. (3x fire, 3x water)
Re: training magics 04/02/2012 01:56 AM CDT
I don't play a WM, but how I do it on any MU I have:

1. prep a spell at min. Preferably a spell of the highest tier that can be recast over and over (My current favorites of my MUs are MF, SOD, Tranquility)
2. charge a cambrinth with as much mana as one can that keeps the charge RT between 5-6, and also that you can cast without backfiring, while also not draining your attunement too badly. Up to 12 mana.
3. After I can do a min prep + 12 cambrinth mana cast, I either start adding multiple charges (breaking down to 2x8, and working back up to 12), or I keep 1 charge of 12 and start increasing the min prep. Currently, for example, my MM preps a SOD at 20 mana and charges an armband with 12 mana. For another example, borrowing a friend's 139th circle MM, I use SOD (out of combat) and prep at something like 39 and charge 11 (cap is 50 mana).

Like Jhaliascleric said, you want to prep the hardest spell you can, which seems to mostly be defined by tier, with some consideration to min/max mana caps. (like a spell with a min prep of 5 and a max of 60 will be easier than a spell with a min prep of 9 and a max of 50, in the same tier)

Kaeta Airtag

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear