Next Spell Suggestions 10/27/2011 02:52 AM CDT
Just got to 30th circle and have three spell slots to fill. Not sure which way to go. Any suggestions?

You recall the spells you have learned from your training.

In the chapter entitled "Aether Manipulation," you have notes on the Ethereal Shield [es] spell.

In the chapter entitled "Electricity Manipulation," you have notes on the Arc Light [al], Tingle, Static Discharge [sd], and Gar Zeng [gz] spells.

In the chapter entitled "Water Manipulation," you have notes on the Frostbite [frb] spell.

In the chapter entitled "Earth Manipulation," you have notes on the Sure Footing [suf] and Fist of Stone [fos] spells.

In the chapter entitled "Air Manipulation," you have notes on the Zephyr, Swirling Winds [sw], and Y'ntrel Sechra [ys] spells.

In the chapter entitled "Analogous Patterns," you have notes on the Energy Bolt [bolt] and Ease Burden [ease] spells.

Right now I'm considering Ice Patch/Rimefang and another or AEL/ALA and another. Maybe MAB as my third. But I don't know if there's a "can't live without" spell in there somewhere that I should be more focused on.
Re: Next Spell Suggestions 10/27/2011 03:46 AM CDT
AEG is a nice spell if you feel like completing your array of defensive buffs.

Ice Patch is a nice disabler.

I am personally a fan of MoF/Dragon's Breath.

If you are looking at more attacks, I would say you will want LB and ALA and, eventually, CL.

A lot of these suggestions are large-picture stuff for the next 20 circles though. Immediately, I would recommend AEG. The other spells you are looking at are all worth a slot, there's really no going wrong.
Malkien
Re: Next Spell Suggestions 10/27/2011 04:16 AM CDT
I was considering AEG as well, but how does a capped armworn AEG compare to an armworn croc buckler?
Re: Next Spell Suggestions 10/27/2011 04:22 AM CDT
>>I was considering AEG as well, but how does a capped armworn AEG compare to an armworn croc buckler?

I recommend it as its own shield, versus casting on a shield to increase protection, since casting it as its own shield provides a bonus to shield skill. Of you prefer the latter route, the protection will be comparable to a crocskin buckler, but it will be heavier. You can, however, spike it to give it functionality a buckler would not have.
Malkien
Re: Next Spell Suggestions 10/27/2011 04:26 AM CDT

I am similar level to you and had more or less the same question when I hit 30. I eventually went with IP and have found it to be very useful, not only a great disabler but it can, and does, do quite a lot of damage to mobs that are above my normal skill level offensively.

I do also(since picking it up a level or two afterwards) love AEL its a very nice spell to have.

Words Words Words .. in the end thats all it is
Re: Next Spell Suggestions 10/27/2011 06:29 PM CDT
Can you wear a medium AEG shield like how Clerics can wear a medium SoL?
Re: Next Spell Suggestions 10/27/2011 09:17 PM CDT
>Can you wear a medium AEG shield like how Clerics can wear a medium SoL?

>http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Aegis_of_Granite

Elanthipedia (at the bottom, in tiny notes) says the largest armworn size is small. The SoL thing is more of a bygone effect that GMs haven't removed from the spell, than anything else to my knowledge. I expect if SoL was written today, it wouldn't have that function, since clerics are also armor tert. And since E3.0 is coming soon, eh.

While I never have anything witty to say, I currently lack anything venemous either.
Re: Next Spell Suggestions 10/27/2011 10:24 PM CDT
>>Can you wear a medium AEG shield like how Clerics can wear a medium SoL?

No. SoL's shield bonus only applies to undead though.
Malkien
Re: Next Spell Suggestions 10/27/2011 11:57 PM CDT
So is a created AEG better than a good croc buckler?
>>No. SoL's shield bonus only applies to undead though.
Well, fine, but it still allows Clerics to arm wear a medium shield.
Re: Next Spell Suggestions 10/28/2011 06:52 AM CDT
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n142/Sirzason/wmsheetupdated.jpg
Aegis appraisals can be found here.

To the OP: AEG is nice to have, and its only real downside is the fact that it requires Earth Sense. On top of that, I recommend considering Manifest Force if you don't mind another buff to keep up. Warrior Mages lack a unique barrier spell, and the scrolls are easily obtainable so you can try it out before you devote a spell slot.