Thinking of Starting over... 09/13/2011 12:31 AM CDT
Name: Citizen Flyingarrow Gryphinhauk of Ratha Race: Elothean Guild: Warrior Mage
You were born on the 5th day of the 1st month of Akroeg the Ram in the year of the Golden Panther, 324 years after the victory of Lanival the Redeemer.

I created Flyingarrow while I was still in 6th grade (I'm 25y/o now). I played him all through till graduating high school, during the days of rough (compared to today) experience mechanics. I remember traipsing around with Galain for a few events. I remember having him do everything he could during the Sorrow War to help. I remember having him be the only mage (and surprisingly effective one at the time) standing on the docks of Riverhaven when the pirates attacked. I remember when the Gorbesh were invading Crossing nearly non-stop all the time.... All of the items I've collected over those years (Ice skates from when the Town Green Pond froze over the first time, teleportation shards, and so many other knick knacks) are nearly forgotten, people that character associated with either long gone or far beyond wanting to trivialize themselves with such a lower skilled character.

The farther I get my barbarian up (nearly 50th circle now) the more I want to go back and just wipe this guy out and start him afresh. I've asked a couple times throughout my "older" years for a name change and alas it is not to be so. I don't really want to lose the idea behind this character but I don't really think I can ever go back and just train him to be what he really could be. Horrible spell choices, not so great stat choices, and lets not even go into the skill spread. The 3.0 changes around the corner may provide a fresh start for the majority of the mistakes of youth, but from the pure RP side of it, aren't those the choices that defined the character?

I know I could just roll up a new mage and see how that one fares but it seems like a betrayal to a character that I grew up with.

Thoughts from the peanut gallery?

Deadly Deretis Desitus, Soldier of Ratha
AKA Brad
Re: Thinking of Starting over... 09/13/2011 12:39 AM CDT
If you enjoy playing him, keep playing him and work at taking him a different route if you so desire. If you do not, then do not and let him rest in peace :)

~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Thinking of Starting over... 09/13/2011 01:11 AM CDT
You can train away any mistakes in skills and spells, and with skills at least it'd probably be faster to fix it with your current character than to start another. You probably aren't as messed up in your spell choices as you think, and you'll get a free spell respec soon anyways.

However, these days 28th doesn't take very long to get. You can probably catch up to where he was very quickly.

It seems like you have a personal attachment to the character. From the outside, it's impossible to judge how strong that attachment is, so this is a choice you'll have to make mostly on your own. You can probably transfer all the items over to your new character, but is it worth it to you to give up that history he has?

Honestly, I'd reroll him just for the name change.
Re: Thinking of Starting over... 09/13/2011 01:21 AM CDT
>>Honestly, I'd reroll him just for the name change.<<

Tell me about it! I was always asked if he was a Ranger. Looking back 15 years, why, oh why, oh why! did I give him that name! LOL

Figuring again that it wouldn't take too terribly long to get the character to 30th (at least) makes it feel a lot better. And with all the goodies we've got to look forward to around the corner, it really wouldn't be so bad.

Heh even thinking about what what a 1st circle WM would look like with the items he has right now (transferring everything over) is humorous enough by itself.

I have always enjoyed the lore behind the WM guild. Being there when Blackfire was "re-discovered" is a nice memory. Even if Flyingarrow himself is lost to the annals of history, I suppose there are plenty of examples in our DR lore to support re-incarnation. It would certainly give an interesting spin on the new persona.

Re: Thinking of Starting over... 09/13/2011 02:03 AM CDT
For anyone who is thinking of rerolling purely from a skills/stats standpoint, my advice is that it probably is not worth it. For one, we will be getting full stat and spell respecs (at some point).

But the main reason I say this is because you are pretty much always better off "starting over" from where you currently are than from scratch. If you like, think of your 28th character as 1st circle in your mind, and train him that way. You'll have a head start on many skills and stats, and your mentals will help you gain those skills faster!

Spells are a bit trickier, but keep in mind that you get one free spell forgetting every 90 days (I think that's the number).

Really, the only reason I personally would ever reroll a character is to change the name or race. It sounds like you're considering this, and I totally understand. I too once made a character at age 14, then later cursed myself for choosing a totally strange name! I did end up rerolling and didn't regret it at all. I looked at it as the chance to start fresh, with a whole new RP, background, and a name I really really liked.

If you do decide to do this, I personally would let Flyingarrow rest in peace, and give yourself the opportunity to start with a completely clean slate, rather than try to twist together the two characters.

Oh and if you're thinking you want a more "Elothean" sounding name (or whatever other race you choose), I've helped a few people out with that in the past and they seemed happy. (I just generate a bunch of names and you choose.) So if you're interested in that I'm happy to help.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Thinking of Starting over... 09/13/2011 02:29 AM CDT
Picking names when you're young is kinda like picking names while you're drunk.

You're likely to regret them, but not until it's far too late to fix it.

Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Thinking of Starting over... 09/13/2011 03:17 AM CDT
I wouldn't even consider the time aspect of it. I recently went from 0-30 as a WM in TF in about 11 days, and I had some fairly significant gaps in there where I lost connection or died, etc. However, from the name aspect, I made the same decision as what you are considering. I made a character when I was 15 years old and was watching a cartoon when I made him, then ended up playing him for about 7 years and 70 circles. After awhile, the name became enough of an annoyance that I retired him and created a new character. I've never looked back.
Re: Thinking of Starting over... 09/13/2011 10:03 AM CDT
I'd vote for rerolling him, just to lose the name. Keep the last name in homage, but change the first. 30 circles is really just a couple weeks of work at this point with all the xp changes to help young characters, add that to what you know now about the game and you'll be flying.
Re: Thinking of Starting over... 09/13/2011 10:17 AM CDT
The skill and stat thing is really a non-issue; don't start from scratch simply because you don't like the weapon choices you made for a character that young.

The name is annoying, and I can certainly relate. My Warmie was made when I was probably 11 or 13, and I look at his name and sort of groan. If the nostalgia factor is preventing you from rerolling, you can either move all your items over to your new character, or shell out the extra 2 bucks a month and simply start a new, serious, Warmie.

That said, there are HEAPS of completely idiotic names in Dragonrealms... Heaps. Like... What were you thinking, as an adult with more than two neurons to rub together picking a name like that... So... Flyingarrow isn't the worst that's out there.
Re: Thinking of Starting over... 09/13/2011 10:49 PM CDT
Dear former apprentice(or ahh at least someone I used to teach a ton.. :P)
I'll hunt you down, if you re-roll.

~Worrclan, Dwarf of the Realms-
Re: Thinking of Starting over... 09/14/2011 11:43 AM CDT
> Even if Flyingarrow himself is lost to the annals of history...

hehhe heh hehe heh heh, he said "annals", hehe heh hehe

Targoth
Re: Thinking of Starting over... 09/14/2011 04:33 PM CDT
Is it better to be lost in the annals or lodged? Many would say the latter.
Re: Thinking of Starting over... 09/15/2011 03:18 AM CDT
Yeah I'd say most of it is a naming issue when it comes down to the core. Training stats/skills back to a more optimal level would be work yes, but not incredibly hard over all.

I would more than likely transfer all my items over to the new character as heirlooms. I like what one of you said about keeping the last name. I could work with that. Though I can't hardly consider choosing an Elothean again.

Re: Thinking of Starting over... 09/15/2011 04:05 AM CDT
with the way they've said magic is going to work <very mental-heavy> , eltothean would not be a bad choice. My poor s'kra is gonna be hurt there. although not as much as those tog WMs out there.

Explore the Final Frontier - the unknown calls
Re: Thinking of Starting over... 09/15/2011 10:13 AM CDT
> with the way they've said magic is going to work <very mental-heavy> , eltothean would not be a bad choice.

Totally agree, first thing I'm doing with respec is getting mentals to 99 for magic. Mentals are also part of some defense calculations, for example reflex based defenses will depend on Reflex, Agility, and Intelligence.

(Which brings up a question, will strength no longer factor into shield? Will shield be just a reflex based defense? Not sure if this has been answered already.)

Finally, after all these years, elotheans have been vindicated! Fear us....

Targoth
Re: Thinking of Starting over... 09/15/2011 11:29 AM CDT
I love the image of a puny academic in all heavy plate armor that is held aloft by our magic. It's only a second to Moon Armor or Full Plate of Light.
Aegis of Armor 09/15/2011 07:30 PM CDT
> I love the image of a puny academic in all heavy plate armor that is held aloft by our magic.

You know, I love that. Like Aegis of Granite but for armor. When the spell is cast, it affects your highest armor skill, or you can maybe cast it to a specific armor and have an aura of that type. <cast light chain>, <cast heavy chain>, <cast heavy plate>...

It'll maybe give a diminishing bonus to the armor skill, and prevent damage the way AeG prevents damage.

Problem is AeG only reinforces metal, it's no good for leather. (Yes, I'm being passive aggressive here. So sue me.)

Targoth in sexah leather (Bring teh love!)
Re: Aegis of Armor 09/15/2011 08:36 PM CDT
YS is an armor skill boost in 3.0. YS is based around the idea of your armor being supported by winds.

Only thing it won't do on that list is make the armor itself repair or be apping better (unless skill effects that).

- Starlear -
Re: Aegis of Armor 09/15/2011 10:33 PM CDT
> YS is an armor skill boost in 3.0. YS is based around the idea of your armor being supported by winds.

You're absolutely right Starlear, sorry for missing that link. Being leather primary, YS is a spell I really don't care for.

Targoth
Re: Aegis of Armor 09/16/2011 12:52 AM CDT
Right now, sure, but it sounds like YS will be just as useful for leather as for plate with the change. Armor skill is armor skill.

- Starlear -
Re: Aegis of Armor 09/16/2011 09:43 AM CDT
But it won't be reducing hindrance anymore? That's... troubling.
Re: Aegis of Armor 09/16/2011 12:45 PM CDT
<<That's... troubling.

Plate armor is supposed to have tradeoffs. YS basically sidestepped most of the cons on wearing heavy armors for WMs. Now it sidesteps most of the pros on wearing heavy armors for WMs. Nothing circumspect about the intention.
Re: Aegis of Armor 09/16/2011 02:16 PM CDT
Are higher armor ranks supposed to reduce hindrance in 3.0?
Re: Aegis of Armor 09/16/2011 07:17 PM CDT
>Are higher armor ranks supposed to reduce hindrance in 3.0?

Armor ranks in relationship to your evasion, yes. But only to a point.

Weapons for Sale:
Combat Balance List:
Re: Aegis of Armor 09/22/2011 02:53 PM CDT
I will double check, but I do not think that is accurate. There is a post pretty much on point, I just need to find it.

Madigan
Re: Aegis of Armor 09/22/2011 03:14 PM CDT
>There is a post pretty much on point, I just need to find it.

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Post:Armor_Hindrance_Updates_-_7/1/2010_00:53:35

with a bit of clarification here:

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Post:Buffs_and_armor_-_7/2/2010_19:56:46

Weapons for Sale:
Combat Balance List: