Training magic beyond 900 02/25/2011 02:37 PM CST
Hi all, what technique do you use for training PM/Harness in the 900+ range? I'm stuck with Rimefang but it takes forever. Never was a fan of Ball Lightning.

Thanks much,
Targoth
Re: Training magic beyond 900 02/25/2011 03:15 PM CST
Mine doesn't have anywhere near the same skill, but have you tried Fire Rain yet? I'm sure you could cast it, walk away to make it dissipate, then cast it somewhere else or return. Idk how well that would teach, tho.
Re: Training magic beyond 900 02/25/2011 03:30 PM CST
> have you tried Fire Rain yet?

Thanks friend, to be honest I haven't tried that one. I'll give it a shot. :)

Targoth
Re: Training magic beyond 900 02/25/2011 03:40 PM CST
The best method to train with Fire Rain would be by setting down a strong zephyr so that it blows it away. (Also do this in a non-justice zone unless you want to stack up a ton of fines.)

Rimefang works pretty well too, as does Ring of Spears. For now I usually cycle through a couple different spells on my script because in Magic 3.0 it's been said that training magics via one spell only method is not going to be effective.

Which would be worse? To live as a monster or to die as a good man?
Re: Training magic beyond 900 02/25/2011 09:09 PM CST
no fines for casting it in town, just if anyone gets injured by it -the zeypher'll kick in before that. but you have to double prep it in town though, and make sure your zeypher doesn't fade if you don't keep moving.

I like firerain cause I can cast it almost as fast as I can spam CL in combat.

I do notice I seem to learn more when I powerwalk and cast it (prep, perc, cast, move, repeat)

The fabric of the universe seems to wobble momentarily. Uh, what did you just do?
Re: Training magic beyond 900 02/26/2011 10:39 AM CST
Yep, fire rain while powerwalking works well. I usually do this if I powerwalk and cast fire rain.

Have my leopard out so that I don't have to worry about mana levels in the rooms as much.

move to new room
perceive
prep fire rain at 20 mana
wait for full prep
cast
check exp
move on

This gives your leopard time to catch up.
Re: Training magic beyond 900 02/26/2011 10:43 AM CST
Adding to this, the biggest time sink for magic skills is Arcana. I hate training it. Even charging 24 mana at a time into my cambrinth, it takes forever to train.

Can we please have some new methods? Scrolls work but I have a scroll memorized that I don't want to lose, so I can't use this for training.
Re: Training magic beyond 900 02/26/2011 12:16 PM CST
<<Adding to this, the biggest time sink for magic skills is Arcana. I hate training it. Even charging 24 mana at a time into my cambrinth, it takes forever to train.>>

<<Can we please have some new methods?>>

Seriously. Arcana is atrocious to train right now.
Re: Training magic beyond 900 02/26/2011 02:59 PM CST
Path foc ease helps with firewalking, and sticking to good mana rooms to, I cast at 22-25, works while hunting room to room too.

Scrolls are the best I can think of for arcana. I cast mof with camb, can do it waiting for defenses to lock too.

The fabric of the universe seems to wobble momentarily. Uh, what did you just do?
Re: Training magic beyond 900 02/26/2011 07:46 PM CST
>Can we please have some new methods?

I think new Enchanting will help with this. Supposedly the hard to make items will require high Arcana to use.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Expert Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Training magic beyond 900 02/27/2011 11:22 AM CST
I read somewhere that charging your cam with anything more than 11 mana is a waste - work arcana to the point where you can charge 11 with minimum round time and just charge it every time you cast a spell that you wait for full prep on. I can get 2 charges (3 if I push it)and focus pretty easily within the 20 second prep for just about any spell, and I use it in all my (magic using) scripts.

I have ZERO problem training Arcana - its within 15 ranks of PP at all times with no extraordinary effort. I don't think the amount of mana is as important as the number of times you charge it...

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me!" - Rorschach
Re: Training magic beyond 900 02/27/2011 11:27 AM CST
>I read somewhere that charging your cam with anything more than 11 mana is a waste

After 11 mana there are decreasing returns, but you still learn more with more mana. If you can charge regularly with a higher amount, and are getting near min roundtime, you're probably going to learn more Arcana.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Expert Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Training magic beyond 900 02/27/2011 11:52 AM CST
>>If you can charge regularly with a higher amount, and are getting near min roundtime, you're probably going to learn more Arcana.

Have to agree with this. I charge 28 mana myself.

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Training magic beyond 900 02/27/2011 12:22 PM CST
<<I have ZERO problem training Arcana>>

Is Kart=Kartaan, magic-tert ranger? That may play a role in why arcana is easier to train for you. My experience w/magic prime certainly doesn't match up.

I use focus moonbeam, which I can cast at 120 mana, with a camb orb, in order to get as many "charges" in as possible without the more-wasteful "focus" in there. I've tried this in the range of 10x11 charges and 4x29 charges. I've settled at 6x18 as it seems to be the fastest to "lock." It's a matter of balancing the slight improvement you get from > 11 mana charges against extra wasted roundtime of "focus" coming from hitting the cap of your camb/spell.

It's still terrible and takes considerably more time than any other magic for me to train.
Re: Training magic beyond 900 02/28/2011 07:10 AM CST
>>Is Kart=Kartaan, magic-tert ranger?

Yes Kartaan is the name of my Ranger - but I am speaking as my Warrior Mage character who is just over 90th circle now. I have a considerably harder time locking his Primary Magic skill than his Arcana skill...

Not trying to say this is right or wrong - just trying to share my experience of what has worked in scripts I have used to lessen the burden of training a skill.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me!" - Rorschach
Re: Training magic beyond 900 02/28/2011 08:37 AM CST
Yeah, I get mostly 5 and sometimes 6 second roundtimes with charging at 24 mana. I picked 24 because it goes into my orb an even 6 times.

The amount of extra exp isn't much but I tried doing 12, 12 mana charges into the orb and it takes at least as long if not longer to train. I guess I need to time it sometime and see for sure.
Re: Training magic beyond 900 03/01/2011 10:24 AM CST
>>Yes Kartaan is the name of my Ranger - but I am speaking as my Warrior Mage character who is just over 90th circle now. I have a considerably harder time locking his Primary Magic skill than his Arcana skill...

Arcana gets much harder to move once you break over 700 or so.

- Erixx
Re: Training magic beyond 900 03/03/2011 04:53 PM CST
I started using 24 mana to charge in the late 500s or early 600s in arcana and it still sucked to train it then. Arcana is not too bad to train starting when you can always charge 11 mana with 5 second roundtime and have enough power perceive to support doing it fairly often. From then till about 500-600 ranks. Before and after this point, it's torturous.