Need some Spell progression advice please... 11/13/2010 09:11 AM CST
Hey gang,

So I rolled up a new Warmie in TF (he's a Gnome 10str, 14ref, 12agi, 10cha, 10dis, 10wis, 14int, 16stam). Not very good with WarMages, so please bear with me. I'm currently at 1st circle. After sifting through Elanthipedia, I decided on Gar Zeng as a first spell and as a TM trainer. Seems to work well. What path should I go to next? Please keep in mind that my characters are non-PvP types. My weapons will be LT/ME/MB/HE/2HE. I'm not really looking for flair spells. Just looking mainly for spells that actually work and are very useful for solo hunting and solo training. Thanks-in-advance.

PS: Please do not use abbreviated spells. I'm having a hard time keeping up with all the terminology. Sorry, it's the Barb in me. ;)

TF: Mondo
TF: Topher
Re: Need some Spell progression advice please... 11/13/2010 11:28 AM CST
Since the creation of the AP spells- that is, the spells that any magic user can use regardless of mana- the 'traditional' path hasn't meant much. You may want Ethereal Shield to train outside of combat, or you may want Aether Lance as a TM trainer because that's effective against critters that Gar Zeng doesn't work well again.

Good luck!

Player of..

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Need some Spell progression advice please... 11/13/2010 11:35 AM CST
As a gnome, I think you'll find spells like zephyr invaluable.

I also recommend pick up buffs like surefooting, ethereal shield, and swirling winds in pretty short order.

It is very helpful to have balance, agility, parry, evasion, and minor shield buffs at your disposal at a whim. They certainly aid in moving up the critter ladder.

After that it's more feasible to do whatever you want. But, really it's feasible to do whatever you want with your spells all the time, that's just advice.

Khorgar ~ Dwarven Warmage
Re: Need some Spell progression advice please... 11/13/2010 11:58 AM CST
make sure you get spells in each book though if you want to get thru the AP quests. also you don't have to rush to get Lightning bolt because you won't be able to use that in there anyway. I found, after Gar zeng for training, other invaluable spells have been ice patch, lash, Eth shield, sure footing, and swirling winds.
ease will continue to train a long time for out of combat magical training.

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: Need some Spell progression advice please... 11/13/2010 01:40 PM CST
In addition to the above, Rising Mists is a pretty substantial Hiding/Stalking buff which can help with training stealth in combat.

>make sure you get spells in each book though if you want to get thru the AP quests....

A spell from each of the six isn't necessary.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Need some Spell progression advice please... 11/13/2010 08:52 PM CST
>>make sure you get spells in each book though if you want to get thru the AP quests....

>A spell from each of the six isn't necessary

this. Not necessary. Nice, but not necessary.

GZ is a solid offensive spell that can carry you all the way to getting chain lightning. People seem to love aether lance and aether lance but I don't consider them necessary.

Sure footing, swirling winds, and ethereal shield I consider requirements. As a gnome, I would probably add Zephyr as a requirement, as well. Tingle (and Y'ntrel Sechra at 20th) fall into the 'You can live without them, but why?' category. There's a bunch of nerdy 'but why' discussions all over the archives, if you're bored.

When you've got leftover slots after filling up the basics (SUF, SW, ES), perhaps also consider frost scythe and/or fist of stone - as a previous barb you will probably like the ability to create your own weapons with which to train.
Re: Need some Spell progression advice please... 11/21/2010 07:40 AM CST
Thanks gang. I'm now 14th circle and have picked the standard spells - Sure Footing, Swirling Winds, Ethereal Shield. Picked Fire Shard in anticipation for a Pathways quest - which did happen. I've also expanded to getting Ice Patch - which I believe is my highest tiered offensive spell. I'm really liking it, but I need time to get used to it.