Need help with all magics 08/22/2010 02:32 AM CDT
I used to play War Mage back before I quit DR many years ago, I was level 60 and hunted swamp trolls and peccaries in Langenfirth. I've re-figured out how to train all my relevant lore and survival skills (wow they are so much easier now), and I am learning weapons/defenses fine against trolls/peccs. But I can't figure out how to learn any magic skill worth a damn except PP (which is easy but still boring as hell)

What spells should I script for training PM/harness/Arcana, and what amounts should I cast them at? I never did know how to figure these out before, I just ran an MD script that someone gave me

How in the world do I train TM now? I used to just spam snap-cast Gar Zeng at low prep #'s and mindlock fast - now I only get to dabbling/perusing before absorbing exp down to clear. Do I need to use different spells now? Or are swamp trolls and peccaries just too low for me to train TM? I also tried to Fendryads and higher tier Swamp Trolls and didn't learn much faster

My magic skills are:

PM 320
Harness 350
PP 260
Arcana 410
TM 250

Other relevant combat skills:

LC 180
Parry 200
MO 130
Evasion 200
HE 220
Re: Need help with all magics 08/22/2010 03:40 AM CDT
Ok, this is actually a lot to tackle.

Lets start out with how to train TM.

A min prep snap cast of GZ should be working great for you. However, if you aren't hitting with all your blasts with GZ you'll want to use pathway focus accuracy to make sure you do. The more you hit the more you'll learn. If you're already hitting reliably use pathway focus damage. It still works well no matter your circle. If GZ isn't training well you might want to try a diffrent spell since you might be trying to use it on enemies that are more resistant to electricy. Try using stone strike if you have it since it trains really well, or if you are comfortable with using it chain lightning still works great as long as you aren't hurting your attunement a ton. Even just snap casts of min prep aether lance still work well in your range. Just try different spells and utilize pathways until you notice more gains.

For Harness you shouldn't have much trouble at all at your skill range. To work harness well simply cast your spells at low preps and harness more mana into them, or cast spells using cambrinth for the majority of the spells power, just the act of filling a cambrinth item at 11 mana each charge will work harness well. Even just long term repetion of spells should get harness moving.

For elemental magic (Use to be PM) try casting some of your higher tier spells at as high as mana value you can and cast the spell before it is fully prepped. If you backfire keep adjusting your mana down accordingly until you can reliably cast the spell.

You seem to have a handle on arcana (Use to be MD), but if you need to know how get this moving well anyhow, just charge a cambrinth item with as much mana as possible using 11 mana charges until it is full, focus and then cast. Just repeat that and it'll move quickly. Then more pieces you can fill and cast with the better. One 48 mana armband or an orb is great to use if you want to say charge an orb with five 11 mana charges and then prep a 1 mana ethereal shield. That'll work arcana really well, but if you want to move elemental magic well enough you'll want to cast a harder spell.

It's hard to give you exact values at what to cast at just because your skill is going to be different from mine or the next person. You really have to experiment to find the best values, but other than that this should be all you need to know about training your magics. Welcome back and good luck.

Khorgar ~ lending a hand
Re: Need help with all magics 08/22/2010 11:13 AM CDT
60th circle do you have Chain lightning? If so that should train all your magics. I noticed you didn't have shield skill posted so i take it you are from back in the day where you didn't need too. It would be worth your while to train it up.

- Erixx
Re: Need help with all magics 08/23/2010 01:28 AM CDT
For TM, I don't think the problem could be missing or resists, since I kill them very fast with just Gar Zeng. I tried listening to a class to get halfway to mindlock, then go hunting, it makes it seems like I'm learning faster that way (even though it's not). It's taking me a long time to get down to dabbling 1/34, so I guess I'm almost learning as fast as the drain rate

I swapped my buffing script to keep charging my orb with 11 mana, it teaches MD really well, and harness ok (at the moment MD is at 28/34, harness 8/34). PM not really learning at all yet - what's a good spell to cast out of combat to train that? Also I do have chain lightning, should I use that to learn PM/TM well? I tried it for a bit but I ran out of mana so fast

Also for shield, I never trained it at all since they didn't have arm-worn shields back then and I needed the free hand for Gar Zeng. How necessary is it to train shield if I don't care one bit about pvp? I only really want to kill creatures and level and make money, etc.

Oh also for pathways, I never used any of those before, should I be using those to help learn magics better?
Re: Need help with all magics 08/23/2010 02:03 AM CDT
Ok, part of your TM problem might be the fact that you are killing things too fast. You may have to move to a tougher creature to learn TM very well. Unfortunately the best way to learn TM right now is by keep the critter alive as long as possible and do enough damage to keep your TM moving. It maybe that swamp trolls are too simple for you. You may want to ask in the creatures folders what would be appropriate to hunt or look at what2hunt or elanthipedia.

As far as PM and harness people can learn well with just ease at ranks way beyond yours. There are better options such as SW, YS, AC, fissure, etc. Just try different spells and see what works for you. Fissure seems to work pretty well for moving elemental and harness if you cast one and then cast the opposite element so you can recast it over and over. But really we have a lot of spells that work well for moving these skills. If you find that elemental magic isn't moving well try prepping spells at higher mana and cast them before they reach full preperation, like I said before you'll have to experiement with what mana values you can do this at without backfiring and still learn well.

As for using chain lightning for training TM it's still one of our top spells for learning TM simply, because of how many bolts you can hit one target and multiple targets with. You may have to slow down the speed at which you are casting a little bit to allow your mana to regen a little bit before casting again. Remember that the higher your attunement is the faster it recovers.

As for shield you can get by without it, but the general consensus is you shouldn't. Now you can get light weight bucklers with high protection values that can be worn on the arm. Gar Zeng no longer requires that you have a hand free to cast either. Two defenses is workable, but now and in the new combat system three is always going to be better. I would really consider back training shield.

In my last post I told you what pathways will help you the most for learning TM. You might find conserve useful in casting min prep chain lightnings as it will lower the amount of mana you have to use to cast chain lightning as long as you aren't harnessing any mana to bring it about the normal min prep. But overall focus damage and focus accuracy are the superior pathways for training TM. The pathways aren't going to do you much good using them out of combat to train magics.

Good luck.

Khorgar ~ can't think of anything else
Re: Need help with all magics 08/23/2010 02:15 PM CDT
Ya your TM is ahead of your combats a bit at least for your size. To get TM to move you are more than likely going to have to move up the critter chain. It's been awhile but at 250 you may be able to lock it in giant black leucros or vipers. Just make sure you buff up and dont let them swarm you. Like i said i'm not sure if you will be able to train your weapons there just yet, but go in there and start blasting them with CL with either the accuracy or damage pathway up and it should lock your TM with no problem.

If you don't pvp at all shield isn't that big of a issue unless your fighting a critter that shoots or throws things at you since you can't parry them. With the new experience system it would not take you long to get shield up with the rest of your combats. If you do choose to do it may as well take up a few weapons while you are at it and i would suggest a ranged either LT or HT as we can make our own.

- Erixx
Re: Need help with all magics 08/23/2010 05:47 PM CDT
I believe Wythor said Accuracy pathway doesn't affect CL, and your best bet was Damage.

An old cranky ogre with no legs says, "Naarg wives all this Naarg wives now."
Re: Need help with all magics 08/23/2010 09:41 PM CDT
Chain Lightning is working REALLY well, using that is teaching me all the magic skills really well. I guess my only last question is - can chain lightning hit random people who walk in the room? And if so, is there anything I can do about it?
Re: Need help with all magics 08/23/2010 09:46 PM CDT
CL no longer hits those not engaged in combat with you unless you type.. cast all? I forget the syntax. I've not used that option since the change.

You laugh when you think of how funny you looked in a mirror the last time.
Re: Need help with all magics 08/23/2010 10:10 PM CDT
>CL no longer hits those not engaged in combat with you unless you type.. cast all? I forget the syntax. I've not used that option since the change.

Cast Area.

It's still terribly illegal in town, though. Sad times.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Need help with all magics 08/24/2010 08:48 AM CDT
>>I believe Wythor said Accuracy pathway doesn't affect CL, and your best bet was Damage.

Are you 100% sure about that? I see a bigger uptick in damage through accuracy on CL than I do with using damage.

Which would be worse? To live as a monster or to die as a good man?
Re: Need help with all magics 08/24/2010 10:51 AM CDT
Seems kinda silly a TM pathway isn't suppose to work with a TM spell. A inaccurate one at that.

- Erixx
Re: Need help with all magics 08/24/2010 12:00 PM CDT
Yeah, I can't find the post(of course)...

but he said targetting just made CL prepare faster and did nothing to increase accuracy of the bolts, and that damage was better for CL. He could of meant it was better as being more conservative on pathway resolve.

Maybe it changed, He might've said it way back before the CL changes when the first bolt always whiffed and we could drop 30 bolts, and the nerve damage was all sorts of crazy.
or maybe I'm crazy.

Maybe targetting works now and the first bolt is getting the accuracy pathway benefit, and the following bolts stack better because of it.

In the same post I believe he also mentioned it was also better to use accuracy for MOA and the tag, then switch to damage when it pulses.

An old cranky ogre with no legs says, "Naarg wives all this Naarg wives now."
Re: Need help with all magics 08/24/2010 05:32 PM CDT
Pulse spell mechanics. Only the first object this goes the same for FS, tkt, ff, CL, and GZ