Prev_page Previous 1
Armor 11/07/2009 04:33 PM CST
Quick question here for a warmage thats headin into his 80s is HP the way to go? I use LC right now so I can hide a bit but the creatures I'm hunting now, unless survival was a primary skillset, I cant train hiding fast enough to keep up so I'm wondering if just bagging training it alltogether and just train HP instead is a smart idea or not.
Re: Armor 11/07/2009 06:28 PM CST
I can tell you that I went with just HP and I regret it. I try to back train LC/HC/LP when I can but as I don't play much it doesn't get trained as well. If I had to do it over again I would train LC/HC and try to keep my stealths up to level. With either plate or chain I would highly recommend training both Light and Heavy in which ever you choose.
Re: Armor 11/07/2009 06:51 PM CST
I have a theory that armor eventually does more harm than good under the current system.

But I train HP/LP as my main armor and I don't regret it. HC/LC is fine too. Heck, I'm not having too much trouble with bone/cloth while hunting at-level. As long as I set up my stances to reflect the fact I am at-level rather than back training.

Someone said WMs are armor neutral, and this is the case. YS plays a big part in supporting this statement.

Avaya <--Not female.
(But supportive)
Gnome WM of TF
AIM: AvayaTF
Re: Armor 11/07/2009 07:44 PM CST
The thing I notice however is that from a PVP standpoint, trying to hide while attempting to kill a thief or ranger or moonmage is just stupid. Unless they are way below your circle, they are going to see you hide, therefore the point is mute. And if your against a thief ranger or moonmage that cant see you hide, you might as well torture them with fs for an hour....this is the point im getting at...other than for tdp's is training it even worth the effort.
Re: Armor 11/08/2009 03:12 AM CST
Not all PvP occurs against Thieves, Rangers, or Moon Mages?

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/huldahspal/flyingcompany.png
Re: Armor 11/08/2009 06:55 AM CST
>>Not all PvP occurs against Thieves, Rangers, or Moon Mages?

As a WM, unless youre fighting someone who seriously neglected their perception or you, youre probably never gonna be able to hide on an at level foe of any guild. Unless you neglect your own skills and let them lag behind to way overtrain stealths. True story.

Eladrin
Re: Armor 11/08/2009 07:23 AM CST
>>As a WM, unless youre fighting someone who seriously neglected their perception or you, youre probably never gonna be able to hide on an at level foe of any guild. Unless you neglect your own skills and let them lag behind to way overtrain stealths. True story.<<

I don't know about that. The actual hiding contest skews in favor of the hider unless they're engaged with something. More so at night. And hiding buffs are cheap and plentiful. Stealth will never be the "lol gl you'll never find me" tool it is for survival primes (passive bonuses + in-guild buffs ftw) but you can still make good use of it if you don't neglect it.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
Re: Armor 11/08/2009 07:39 AM CST
>>I don't know about that. The actual hiding contest skews in favor of the hider unless they're engaged with something. More so at night. And hiding buffs are cheap and plentiful. Stealth will never be the "lol gl you'll never find me" tool it is for survival primes (passive bonuses + in-guild buffs ftw) but you can still make good use of it if you don't neglect it.

I have to disagree, simply because i've never seen it work that way personally. With the exceptions of say, the Ragrans out there who trained up 500s stealths with maybe 400 TM.

This isnt to say however that you shouldnt train stealths, i definately wouldnt completely neglect them, but i wouldnt expect to be a ninja around at level foes of really any guild unless they just dont train their perception.

Eladrin
Re: Armor 11/08/2009 11:23 AM CST
Yea I've tesated this alot too and unless you have somehow wasted all your time to train 600 stealths...aint happening. So, now that we've reseolved that issue, I would assume that instead of training that I should switch to HP for the protection it offers? rather than continuing with LC? HP already at 150 ranks so not a huge setback, bout 130 ranks and i can catch my LC so....yes no?
Re: Armor 11/08/2009 11:56 AM CST
HP provided you get YS to offset the encumbrance

>>I'm constantly amazed by the things that people do in game that would get them punched in the face in RL, but then they try to claim that they didn't do anything that would warrent a PvP situation.<<
-Evran
Re: Armor 11/08/2009 12:07 PM CST
>>Stuff about stealth<<

I approve of people not taking the time to work pvp-relevant skills (b/c it makes them easier to deal with), but it's really a mistake not to train hiding and stalking.

Don't worry about picking an armor you can sneak around in. Just take it off to train stealth.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
Re: Armor 11/09/2009 07:34 AM CST
>>As a WM, unless youre fighting someone who seriously neglected their perception or you, youre probably never gonna be able to hide on an at level foe of any guild. Unless you neglect your own skills and let them lag behind to way overtrain stealths. True story.

I agree with Mazrian, I can actually hide on most at level foes until they buff. Most paladins, war mages, clerics and even barbs don't train perception enough and are pretty easy to take out once you hide and get time to fully target your spells.

Stealths are also pretty easy to train, I don't see why anyone wouldn't want to do it even if you train HP. Just take it off when training stealths.

It's also embarrassing to be spotted by a shadowling. Don't be that guy.
Re: Armor 11/10/2009 10:04 AM CST
>I agree with Mazrian, I can actually hide on most at level foes until they buff. Most paladins, war mages, clerics and even barbs don't train perception enough and are pretty easy to take out once you hide and get time to fully target your spells.

Unfortunately it's true.

Against someone who is actually trained well, don't expect your stealths to mean anything. But there are so many people who senselessly don't train perception.
Re: Armor 11/10/2009 10:48 AM CST
There was an Empath in the infirmary the other day getting all excited about Nissa's Binding so he could sleep people (RE: Engage in CvC). He then made a comment that he needed Perception to circle.

I told him he should train it way past the Empath reqs. He said it wasn't really useful because he doesn't get stolen from often. There are these types of people out there that make survival tert stealth training viable.
Re: Armor 11/10/2009 11:21 AM CST
You don't have to be better than the best for stealth, or for that matter any competency in DR, to be worth developing. You will find yourselves in all sorts of situations. If you've trained the skills you may benefit, but if you don't have them you definitely won't.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
Re: Armor 11/10/2009 05:12 PM CST
Stealths train just as fast as evasion.

I'm just sayin.

Avaya <--Not female.
(But supportive)
Gnome WM of TF
AIM: AvayaTF
Re: Armor 11/11/2009 07:27 PM CST
As someone who has been looking to backtrain stealths, and never has, what would you say the best way to go about locking it up is?

- Starlear -
Re: Armor 11/11/2009 07:36 PM CST
combat is the only real way these days.

hide and hunt

>>I'm constantly amazed by the things that people do in game that would get them punched in the face in RL, but then they try to claim that they didn't do anything that would warrent a PvP situation.<<
-Evran
Re: Armor 11/11/2009 09:06 PM CST
-Hiding, advancing while hidden, and stalking in combat.
-Shop stealing.
-Classes.

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386A.V.
Re: Armor 11/12/2009 03:32 AM CST
I started back training stealths after 50ish circles of not touching them.
I picked up a few weapons I hadn't been training and some leather and bone armor. I started in gobs, went to beisworms and am now tooling around in snowbeasts and gargs. It goes pretty fast (relative to where I am now) and learning the extra skills makes it feel even more worth it. I doubt I'll ever catch up, but its a nice change of pace.
You'll be able to overhunt quite easily thanks to much higher stats than normal.
Re: Armor 11/12/2009 08:47 AM CST
>>As someone who has been looking to backtrain stealths, and never has, what would you say the best way to go about locking it up is?

Hiding and using Hunt to get to your next critter will keep stealth moving.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Armor 11/12/2009 11:17 AM CST
Pick up some Shadows runes, and if you were lucky enough to get some of the Chameleon tails from the festival. Stealth buffs help.
Re: Armor 11/12/2009 12:22 PM CST
At least for training purposes, why would you use Shadows when you can use RM? It does more and it does it better.

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer
Re: Armor 11/12/2009 01:03 PM CST
Two reasons- caster might not have RM yet, and even if you do, if you are backtraining hiding, you can stack the results and hide on a higher creature than you could otherwise.

Of course if RM alone suffices, then there would be no need to use any other boosters.

I mentioned it only because folks often ignore the now fairly readily availible runes.
Re: Armor 11/12/2009 01:21 PM CST
Casting Shadows will blow your arms off occasionally no matter how good a caster you are.

Something to take into consideration.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
Re: Armor 11/12/2009 05:24 PM CST
When did shadow runes become readily available? Been awhile since I played a MU... All I seem to remember using is CV runes.
Re: Armor 11/12/2009 05:30 PM CST
They are sold in the Shard magic shop.
Re: Armor 11/13/2009 09:58 AM CST
I get one every day while hunting swamp trolls in lang. Runes blow arms off?

"So it is a sword, It just happens to function like a key in very specific situations."
"...or it's a key all the time, and when you stick it in people, it unlocks their death."
Re: Armor 11/13/2009 10:24 AM CST
Shadows is a Lunar spell. Casting a spell that uses a mana type other than yours risks a socerous backlash.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
Re: Armor 11/13/2009 11:02 AM CST
>>Shadows is a Lunar spell. Casting a spell that uses a mana type other than yours risks a socerous backlash.

I don't think that runes fall under this.
Re: Armor 11/13/2009 11:14 AM CST
>>I don't think that runes fall under this. <<

Runes don't cast for you, so I'm not sure why they wouldn't.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
Re: Armor 11/13/2009 11:52 AM CST
Runes definitely blow arms off.
Re: Armor 11/13/2009 11:54 AM CST
Oh runes most certainly can result is stumpy arms. Since the treasure update not long ago I have been seeing more shadows and sop runes so I use them. The risk is there but is can be minimized- always wait for full prep, don't prepare at capped mana and don't be holding anything in your hands. Not holding things in your hand will not help prevent backlash but you don't have to worry about leaving your favorite bastie behind while you run to get healed.

Now that more useful runes are being found in the treasure on a regular basis, I think the types of devices should expand- as a cleric I suggest they add bless and pfe rune-like devices.
Re: Armor 11/13/2009 01:28 PM CST
Runes definitely count.

In addition to that, Lunar and Elemental exist at the most extreme penalty toward each other, so be careful.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Armor 11/13/2009 01:44 PM CST
>>Runes definitely count.

I thought that you had said something about runes and scrolls not working the same way, must have been in a different context
Re: Armor 11/13/2009 02:01 PM CST
Wands etc don't have that problem.

Basically (And this isn't 100% I imagine...)

If NMU can use it THEN no boom
If NMU cannot use it THEN boom

Bright side of this is NMUs never suffer limb removal from their own abilities...

SEND[Abasha] It warms my heart to see three people die for a cupcake.
Re: Armor 11/13/2009 02:10 PM CST
>>I thought that you had said something about runes and scrolls not working the same way, must have been in a different context

Runes and scrolls don't work the same way on some pretty important levels (otherwise they'd be redundant), but this isn't one of them.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Armor 11/13/2009 03:26 PM CST
>> Wands etc don't have that problem.

lol yes they do I assure you

Rev. Reene

Your mind hears Aislynn thinking, "Hrrr. Just not Caelumia. She creates multi-dimensional pain that defies the laws of anatomy."
Your mind hears Azatia thinking, "she's good like that"
Re: Armor 11/13/2009 06:46 PM CST
Okay - wands shouldn't be able to cause sorcerous backlash since they aren't being cast with your mana.

If they are - I'm gonna go out on a limb and call that a bug.

SEND[Abasha] It warms my heart to see three people die for a cupcake.
Re: Armor 11/13/2009 07:32 PM CST
Mozzik,

Please figure out recipes. No more bugs for you.

TY :)
Prev_page Previous 1