Can't get TM past thoughtful 04/04/2009 03:25 PM CDT
Hello there! Finally returned to DR from a long hiatus.
I am currently hunting Sand Sprites in Ratha and find that they move my combats well. However, I'm struggling to get my TM past thoughtful at 86 ranks. I'm snapcasting at minimum prep like most people have suggested. Do I need to move on to another critter or change my tactics?
Re: Can't get TM past thoughtful 04/04/2009 03:33 PM CDT
Unless it has changed recently, sandies teach TM up to exactly 100 ranks.

However, some of the way TM learning works has changed, so min prep snap casts may not teach all that well.

You didn't mention which spell you are casting, and where in sandies you are hunting.

GZ is better than FS for learning TM, and the lair is where you should go if your defenses are up to handling a full swarm of sandies at melee.

Also, prepping at a couple of points above minimum, and waiting for the 4 seconds for the fully prepped message i a slightly better thing. Sandies do have enough MR to mess with min prep snap casts, in my experience.

Hope that helps.

~Kyn (Kynevon)

DR-SOCHARIS
Attempting to update appraisal is like sticking my head face-first into a bucket of angry weasels.
Re: Can't get TM past thoughtful 04/10/2009 10:03 AM CDT
Reply Delete

Try changing your spell.

Put this in a macro, then just get to pole range on whatever and spam it till dead.

prep gz 3\r target\r cast\r

Trains me alot faster than ALA ever did. Later on use the same macro with CL. CL will teach you for the rest of your warmage life.

Red'

Re: Can't get TM past thoughtful 04/10/2009 01:37 PM CDT
>>Trains me alot faster than ALA ever did. Later on use the same macro with CL. CL will teach you for the rest of your warmage life.

Or until CL gets the Nerf bat.

-TG, TG, & GL, et al.
Re: Can't get TM past thoughtful 04/10/2009 01:54 PM CDT
>Or until CL gets the Nerf bat.

Rather, until Wythor completes the TM rewrite, which will hopefully fix the issue of GZ and CL being the only two spells that teach decently, as well as fixing the fact they teach so well.

Elemancer Opieus, Warrior Mage of Elanthia
>Aren't I pretty, now fall down on my ice, fool! ~ Axillus
Re: Can't get TM past thoughtful 04/11/2009 12:47 PM CDT
GZ certainly trains best, but I can also ML by rapid firing min-prep ALA's at stuff. I must be at a golden point of combat/targeting harmony where everything moves pretty well.

120's combats, 140's targeting, and I hunt vipers and serpents.

I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content.
Re: Can't get TM past thoughtful 04/11/2009 02:27 PM CDT
Back when my Prime warmie was hunting grendels, she found that Gar Zeng didn't hurt them much- but Aether Lance prepped at over the minimum did quite nicely.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Can't get TM past thoughtful 04/11/2009 09:46 PM CDT
>>GZ certainly trains best, but I can also ML by rapid firing min-prep ALA's at stuff. I must be at a golden point of combat/targeting harmony where everything moves pretty well.

>>120's combats, 140's targeting, and I hunt vipers and serpents.

I, too, used ALA at this point. I normally prepped at min and harnessed 3, because the extra bit of damage it did helped bump up the learning a bit.

Even now, while I mostly use CL, I find situations where ALA teaches a bit better mana stream for mana stream (e.g. a parrying swamp troll that has cast both SUF and ES on itself).

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: Can't get TM past thoughtful 04/13/2009 01:20 PM CDT
Rapidly fireing spells only works well with multi shot spells. Damage spells like ALA and such your better off pumping a bit of mana into it and letting yourself fully complete the target. I usually go with Prep ala 9 har 3 har 3 har 3 by this time the target is complete.

The more damage you can inflict the more you will learn. Thats why Gz and CL are good without fully completing targets. Any other spell if you are hunting at level and not letting your target complete your not getting the most out of each cast.