More spell ideas 12/15/2017 09:34 PM CST
I know, I know, but I like doing these and recently started playing a warrior mage again. I'm running into a few of the usual hiccups.

- New armor buff: Purify the minerals in your minerals in your armor. Increase construction and elemental resistance.

- Aether Infusion - reduces the stats on your weapon and allows it to penetrate armor.

- YS update or new Air spell - Reduces armor hindrance in addition to raising armor skill.

- Room-based water debuff - Super-heated water cloud. Those not protected by ES suffer fatigue damage with every action. Requires an active rising mist as a base.

- Room-based air utility - Create a cyclone in the room. Reduces ranged accuracy of everyone, with a random or skill based chance to absorb the thrown / fired ammo. Zephyr can blow it to a nearby room.

- Aether single target debuff - Lightning Rod. increases electrical damage. AOE abilities will strike only this target. 5 creatures in the room, chain lightning will hit this target with 5 bolts.

- Room-based air TM, cyclic - Anything not protected by air bubble will have their breath stolen from them (internal chest damage). Armor piercing cyclic.

- Big explosion. Ends a cyclic TM for a very powerful AOE damage + stun. Harm Horde style damage.

- Brittle infusion (earth infusion, mutually exclusive with elemental infusions). Your elemental weapon now chips.

- Second Air infusion. Shape your weapon to a bow and empower it with strings made of tangible air. Default fires "condensed air" (think pw), but you can shape to an energy to have it fire energy arrows of that damage type. Drains mana with each shot.

- Summon. Not a real summon. Summons an elemental out of your fissure to do something useful based on the type. Not all are offensive. Some are peaceful.
Re: More spell ideas 12/16/2017 05:15 AM CST
>- Room-based water debuff - Super-heated water cloud. Those not protected by ES suffer fatigue damage with every action. Requires an active rising mist as a base.

So basically hot pulsing/cyclic Frostbite that you need to cast an additional spell for?

You slap Voldag hard in the face with your hand, making a nice crisp smack!! That's going to leave a mark!
Re: More spell ideas 12/16/2017 09:15 AM CST

> So basically hot pulsing/cyclic Frostbite

Two entirely different use cases. Frostbite would be the one-time cast. Instant effect. Independent of what the target does with a chance of knockdown, likely a larger hit. This spell would be reactive. The more aggressive the target is, the more they suffer the effects.

> that you need to cast an additional spell for?

You do make a good point with frostbite, so just give it the same interaction or turn it into a metaspell for frostbite as a whole. Call it lingering cold, and make it so that anyone afflicted by frostbite is given a debuff. Future attacks will damage their vitality. Rising mist still provides a bonus, but it's no longer required to cast the spell.
Re: More spell ideas 12/16/2017 09:46 AM CST
Just going to comment on a few of these.

>>YS update or new Air spell - Reduces armor hindrance in addition to raising armor skill.

Original YS was similar to what you're asking, and it was far more common in the past for Warrior Mages to wear Plate Armor because of it. But because WMs are armor terts, I believe the functionality of the old YS was deemed outside of the sphere of the Guild and it was removed. I'm sure other WMs more experienced with the past YS can comment, but I don't think you'll see this returning.

>>Room-based air utility - Create a cyclone in the room. Reduces ranged accuracy of everyone, with a random or skill based chance to absorb the thrown / fired ammo. Zephyr can blow it to a nearby room.

I like this idea a lot. I'm not sure how much use it would get, but I can see certain applications of it. I think it'd be helpful if an added application was if it made it difficult for flying creatures to remain in the air/get off the ground. Once again, a bit niche, but there's certainly uses in both PVE and PVP.

>>Brittle infusion (earth infusion, mutually exclusive with elemental infusions). Your elemental weapon now chips.

Typically chipping weapons are pretty rare (thinking Microtrans and Auction level rare), but I could see it if there was a downside. Like the weapon itself breaking after so many chips.

>> Summon. Not a real summon. Summons an elemental out of your fissure to do something useful based on the type. Not all are offensive. Some are peaceful.

I think WMs have been waiting actual elemental summons for a while. I know WMs were slated to be one of the few guilds to have combat pets. With the amount of damage we do now, I don't know if that will happen, but I will say Summoning has a lot of potential for growth.
Re: More spell ideas 12/16/2017 10:01 AM CST
> Typically chipping weapons are pretty rare (thinking Microtrans and Auction level rare)

They're also pretty useless, and bugged. But if this inspired the chipping mechanic to get some GM attention, please do.
Re: More spell ideas 12/16/2017 01:20 PM CST

> I like this idea a lot. I'm not sure how much use it would get, but I can see certain applications of it. I think it'd be helpful if an added application was if it made it difficult for flying creatures to remain in the air/get off the ground.

Yes, please.

> Once again, a bit niche, but there's certainly uses in both PVE and PVP.

IMO, that's warrior mage in a nut shell. It's about exploiting those niches to optimize magical damage in any situation.

> I think WMs have been waiting actual elemental summons for a while. I know WMs were slated to be one of the few guilds to have combat pets. With the amount of damage we do now, I don't know if that will happen, but I will say Summoning has a lot of potential for growth.

If it works anything like Guardian spirit then it could be rough. GS is hit by AOEs. That's why I'd rather it be a buff on you. Maybe a pulsing spell that does something based on the familiar you currently have summoned, or your current alignment or ethereal fissure. Something like this;

> Prep Elemental Domination (EDO) Or elemental Conduit or whatever.
> Invoke ritual thing
> Cast
Fancy language about strengthening your connection to the elemental plane.

> Get talisman
> Summon [greater/lesser] Elemental
Uses and teaches summoning skill to determine the power. Familiars have pre-determined elements they align to. The code checks first for a talisman, and then pulls out type to identify elements.

If no summoned familiar or no creatures, error messaging. No summoning energy used.
If creature in the room with your familiar (yes, not necessarily your PC's room - further away takes more skill and energy), Your elemental activates and messaging about you releasing [some of] the bounds on your elemental spirit. This is a channeled spell. It continues until you run out of energy or use any command other than tell. You can tell familiar to attack <target> if you're in the same room as the target. This would work on PCs, convert the attack into single target. The familiar can't be attacked while you're channeling, but it will revert if the caster dies. Maybe each of these would be their own spell.

It has a slight delay for some transformation RP, and then boom, the <animal> assumes the shape of a greater elemental. Will not hit players for balance reasons.
Fire + Earth + Earth = damage + CC. Water + Air = Utility. Lightning + Earth = CC.

- Fire = Fear + heavy fire damage. The greater elemental Lights its target on fire (DOT). Fast speed.
- Earth = Burden + knockdown. The greater elemental creates a magnetization effect, casting burden and knockdown on anyone using metal weapons or armor.
- Electric = Stun + electric damage. Greater elemental calls down a lightning storm.
- Air = Knockup + slicing damage. Greater elemental summons small tornadoes that lift that knock the target a foot or so into air and strikes them with attacks of air. Less effective if they're burdened. More effective if they don't have burdens.
- Water = Immobilize + Ice damage. Greater elemental summons a torrent of icy water which rapidly chills to freeze the target.

The greater elemental will then reform into the same of <animal> when you die, run out of power, or stop channeling.

As for lesser elementals. These are group utility. They are enabled, not channeled. Drains your summoning pool while they're out, but you can do other things. Same familiar rules apply. Summon lesser elemental is a 3 slot spell. You can't have both a greater elemental and lesser elemental at the same time.

- Fire - Creates a small fire elemental that walks around, eating things on the ground. Will ignore anything that's registered or bonded.
- Earth - +outdoorsmanship (gives you knowledge of the nearby terrain).
- Water - +vitality (can make you invigorated).
- Air - +athletics. Your body feels lighter and easier to move.
- Electrical - Portable light source.

You could also add another spell to this chain, which is a contingency like metaspell. It's a passive, always on ability. If ou're immobilized or stunned, then the greater elemental effect triggers once on all creatures or players currently facing you. The only caveat is the familiar must be in the room with you, and you must have the greater elemental spell associated with that familiar.