Sooooo... Hylomorphic Sorcery!? 01/23/2017 07:31 PM CST
Considering that we now have two Hylomorphic Sorcery spells on Elanthipedia, I figure it's time for wild speculation!

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Aethrolysis
https://elanthipedia.play.net/Alloyage_of_Self

I'd also like to refer to the reporting that Klines at the Herald did on the likely teasing of some of this stuff. https://elanthipedia.play.net/First_Land_Herald_Archives#418-09-21_-_Visions_of_the_Future:_Heralds_and_Elemental_Sorcery

So, I've got a couple of questions for you guys:

1) Anyone have any speculation on what you think these spells might do?

2) How might these forbidden spells affect your roleplay?

Personally, considering I feel the most interesting dynamic of WM's is the issue of responsibility vs power, I find this very exciting. IMO each WM is both Oppenheimer AND the Bomb. "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Having the opportunity to deal with the forbidden and dangerous offers lots of interesting roleplay opportunities. Will you just cast them all as much as you want because, "YOLO"? Will you decry their use and try to convince others? Or will you publicly denounce them while secretly believing that while these spells are too dangerous for others to use, YOU are cautious and skilled enough that it's not an issue for you to use them?

I'm going to have to see what these spells do, and then see how Saragos's ideals of protecting the lands from destructive magic (especially Elemental) fare against the incoming awesomeness. :)

- Saragos
Re: Sooooo... Hylomorphic Sorcery!? 01/23/2017 07:43 PM CST
Just wild guesses here...

Alloyage of Self- def for alloyage is the act or art of alloying metals. Some kind of awesome ritual that adds metal to character so they are their own armor or weapon? Or cast on others to ultimate immobilize alloying metals to them/crush them with metals?

Aetholysis- google pulled up arthrolysis- the restoration of mobility in stiff and ankylosed joints through the process of disrupting intraarticular and extraarticular adhesions.
Maybe aether somehow bonding to your own body to have fluid movement? Or blast aether into someone elses body and tear it apart?

You slap Voldag hard in the face with your hand, making a nice crisp smack!! That's going to leave a mark!
Re: Sooooo... Hylomorphic Sorcery!? 01/23/2017 08:23 PM CST
My guess on Alloyage of Self is some sort of protection against debilitating effects. Anti-stun? Protection from spirit damage? Mind/Charm contests? Something along those lines.

I'm guessing Aethrolysis is some something related to TM. Possibly reducing other people's ability to use it?

- Saragos
Re: Sooooo... Hylomorphic Sorcery!? 01/23/2017 08:44 PM CST
My guess.

> https://elanthipedia.play.net/Alloyage_of_Self

Summon armor to contrast a warrior mage's summon weapon. Elemental based sorcery.

> https://elanthipedia.play.net/Aethrolysis

Merging of mana and health. Most likely a defensive or defensive/utility spell. Life based sorcery.

> I'm going to have to see what these spells do, and then see how Saragos's ideals of protecting the lands from destructive magic (especially Elemental) fare against the incoming awesomeness. :)

I love the idea of guild based sorcery spells, and I'm holding on to spell slots for this very reason.
Re: Sooooo... Hylomorphic Sorcery!? 01/23/2017 09:25 PM CST
> Merging of mana and health. Most likely a defensive or defensive/utility spell. Life based sorcery.

I don't think we're getting Life, sadly.
"
From the Sorcery page on Elanthipedia: "Hylomorphic Sorcery is the corruption of cosmologic shape and function. It contains, among other things, the legendary Blackfire Spellbook. Its spell patterns are a mixture of Elemental Mana with Lunar or Holy and requires knowledge and connections to the Elemental planes unique to the Warrior Mage guild."

- Saragos
Re: Sooooo... Hylomorphic Sorcery!? 01/23/2017 09:34 PM CST

> I don't think we're getting Life, sadly.

Hmm. Okay. Changing my guess. Attunement spell that siphons mana off from the room and gives it to you in the form of mana regeneration. Let's say mixture of lunar mana. Elementals instead of shadowlings.
Re: Sooooo... Hylomorphic Sorcery!? 01/24/2017 03:35 AM CST
Alloyage of Self: metaspell that unlocks additional elemental damage models to certain target spells

Aetholysis: think Saragos has the money on this one, though I think it having some anti-immobilize function is almost a lock. Some sort of debuff removal perhaps, or an integrity barrier against certain debuffs.
Re: Sooooo... Hylomorphic Sorcery!? 01/24/2017 05:56 PM CST
>Aetholysis

Just looking at the structure of the name, lysis means break down or diminishment. Aetho probably refers to aether, so possibly the removal or breakdown of aether.

Effects? Dunno.

Weapons for Sale:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/User:CARAAMON#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Sooooo... Hylomorphic Sorcery!? 01/24/2017 06:05 PM CST
>Effects? Dunno.

Could this be the long rumored incorporeal undead TM spell?

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Sooooo... Hylomorphic Sorcery!? 01/24/2017 08:26 PM CST
>Just looking at the structure of the name, lysis means break down or diminishment. Aetho probably refers to aether, so possibly the removal or breakdown of aether.

It could be, or probably even is, aether in this case, but I don't think the comparison to artholysis here is coincidental. Armifer (or whoever is responsible for the spell naming, if indeed it is a single person) love wordplay, and the names are almost always direct reflections of the spell's function also (i.e. Abeyant Orison = suspended prayer = stores spell patters in the orb for later use).

I'll bet you a few volumes of kertig that it has something to do with immobilization, either curing of such or causing it (probably the former since WMs already have Anther's Call).
Re: Sooooo... Hylomorphic Sorcery!? 01/24/2017 08:43 PM CST
Spell writers almost always name their own spells (I can only think of two times that people were given spell concepts /w names already established and told to write them on spec). There is a mutual respect and love of wordplay.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Sooooo... Hylomorphic Sorcery!? 02/05/2017 01:27 AM CST
I'm going to guess a barrier spell that shuts you off from the elements but basically nulls elemental damage/effects.

And the other side I think would be like anti-ether fissure, but ripping out the elements on a cosmological scale.

Re: Sooooo... Hylomorphic Sorcery!? 02/05/2017 01:42 AM CST
Will Hylomorphic spell casting charge our pathway meter when aligned to the sorcery element?
Since analogous spells don't and I don't think necromancy does.

Also will it ever get a nifty elemental barrage effect? Like a mana-sap at the cost of possible social outrage?

You make a few adjustments to the Zoluren, and you feel confident that it will recognize you as its owner.
Re: Sooooo... Hylomorphic Sorcery!? 02/05/2017 03:44 AM CST
> Will Hylomorphic spell casting charge our pathway meter when aligned to the sorcery element?

My guess is that it will actually tank our elemental alignment or somehow screw with our ability to use pathways or summoned weapons, in keeping with the standard costs of Sorcery. I'm really interested to see what those costs might be considering the interesting vision that moon mages received recently.

> Nervous babbling fills your mind.

> "Things were going so well. Nobody suspected, and they probably still don't, but that can't last long now. We're ruined, thanks to my...colleague."

> "My work has been quiet and benign as can be: sundering weak aetheric forces through application of para-elements. But Liao... He has found something bigger. Worse, he has done something to himself. If I didn't know better, I'd call it unholy, Meraud save me. That's impossible! I'm not sure how much longer I can hide him. They say there's a Grovekeeper disguised among us, which terrifies me beyond reason. If he or she finds out... Oh Liao, Liao! They do not forgive!"

> "I don't know what to do, who to turn to. Liao isn't quite himself. So much fear and paranoia have sapped my appetite, and I feel sick all the time. Gods, I've even lost my beard. I can't go to an empath. I must lie low and pursue my own breakthrough before everything comes crashing down."

The hair loss, lack of appetite, and sickness makes me think about radiation poisoning...

There are some old posts, I think by Raesh, saying that all High Sorceries are planned to have some sort of corruption mechanic. I know for sure that there's one by him which I can't easily locate where he's cackling about how much we're going to hate the corruption or somesuch. ;)

In the back of my mind I'm kind of hoping for some QoL changes to Pathways to make them more useful after Hylomorphic Sorcery launches so that the cost is more significant. In particular, making them work syntactically more like Symbioses (maybe even tying them in to the same mechanics?) I think would be a great step, and draining alignment per use rather than on pulses would be huge and actually make me want to save up my alignment to use them in difficult situations.

Not to beat that drum too much, but I made a few suggestions a while back if anyone in a position to do something is paying attention.
Pathways - http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Warrior%20Mages/Suggestions%20-%20Warrior%20Mages/view/1152
Barrage - http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Warrior%20Mages/Suggestions%20-%20Warrior%20Mages/view/1153

- Saragos
Re: Sooooo... Hylomorphic Sorcery!? 02/05/2017 05:08 AM CST
>>My guess is that it will actually tank our elemental alignment or somehow screw with our ability to use pathways or summoned weapons, in keeping with the standard costs of Sorcery. I'm really interested to see what those costs might be considering the interesting vision that moon mages received recently.

We're going in a somewhat different direction with Hylomorphic Corruption...

(Initially I thought it would be much closer to Teleologic, you can actually see that in some of my old code. Well, you can't, but you know what I mean. All three corruption systems ended up rather different.)

>>There are some old posts, I think by Raesh, saying that all High Sorceries are planned to have some sort of corruption mechanic. I know for sure that there's one by him which I can't easily locate where he's cackling about how much we're going to hate the corruption or somesuch. ;)

It's not going to end up quite as mean as I was planning at those times (For a whole host of reasons, part of which is that it would have just been a LOT of work for not much reward). It'll still have a nice bite that feels very unique compared to how Teleologic works.

-Raesh

"Sometimes, I worry that I’m not the hero everyone thinks I am..." - Mistborn
Re: Sooooo... Hylomorphic Sorcery!? 02/06/2017 12:06 AM CST
I look forward to breaking things.

Re: Sooooo... Hylomorphic Sorcery!? 02/06/2017 03:25 AM CST
>My guess is that it will actually tank our elemental alignment or somehow screw with our ability to use pathways or summoned weapons, in keeping with the standard costs of Sorcery.

I think the whole point of 'mystery element X' (I can't believe I've been calling it that is for almost 3 years) is to work with hylomorohic? It's naturally opposed to aether, and it makes sorcery easier, and it feels like you'd need the cosmological imbalance it makes to do weird things to the elements outside of like Blackfire and stuff.

I could go without summoned weapons honestly, and it'd free up some spell slots too.

No familiars would suck though.