Aether Spell: Ethereal Web (Like Chain Lightning/Fire Rain) 11/16/2015 03:06 AM CST
Here is a spell I made 17 years ago, back then when the warrior mages had more spells that were unique compared to other guilds. I wanted to create a spell that isn't like other spells and was the top spell for the aether path, this is what I am came up.

Ethereal Web
Abbreivation: EW
Prerequisites: Circle 60, Chain Lightning, and Ethereal Fissure
Slot Cost: 3
Type: Battle / Cycle, Multi-Strike, Area of Effect
Difficulty: Esoteric
Prep (Min/Max): 10/50
Skill Range (Min/Max): 300/1000
Valid Target: Area
Duration: Indefinite
Pulse Time: 10 Seconds
Description: Ethereal Web is one of the most mysterious spells ever existed. Spell starts by an complex circle ancient symbols shines brightly under the caster's feet. Moments later a web of ether branches outwards from the circle, forming a massive pulsing web on the battlefield. During each pulse EW strikes players, summons, and creatures alike with massive arches of aether; EW deals more damage with each pulse from web.

Effect: Room-wide +elemental mana

Notes:
EW is one of the most dangerous, if not the most destructive spell in the warrior mage's arsenal due to its nature and uniqueness.
This spell will last till all mana in area is drained or caster prematurely releases spell.
EW doesn't discriminate between targets, only the caster in the circle is safe from the spells destructive power.
Re: Aether Spell: Ethereal Web (Like Chain Lightning/Fire Rain) 11/16/2015 07:42 AM CST

I like the idea, but warrior mages already have a +room-wide elemental spell. Fissure.

However, it seems like you're thinking of a vampiric effect. Web drains mana from others and gives it to you. I think that would be pretty cool for the WM toolkit, and if it can't find something to attack then it attacks the room's mana itself.
Re: Aether Spell: Ethereal Web (Like Chain Lightning/Fire Rain) 11/16/2015 10:41 AM CST
It should be noted that Aether is not meant to be a damaging element as spells go since the magic rewrite. The damaging spells the book used to have were repurposed into other books.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -
Re: Aether Spell: Ethereal Web (Like Chain Lightning/Fire Rain) 11/16/2015 11:05 AM CST

> It should be noted that Aether is not meant to be a damaging element as spells go since the magic rewrite. The damaging spells the book used to have were repurposed into other books.

Are you referring to just physical damage? Can it still "attack" the magical capabilities or attunement of others?
Re: Aether Spell: Ethereal Web (Like Chain Lightning/Fire Rain) 11/16/2015 11:07 AM CST
>>Are you referring to just physical damage? Can it still "attack" the magical capabilities or attunement of others?

Yeah, that's fair. It just seemed fitting that Aether should have a slightly different relationship to WMs than Yet Another TM Spell.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Aether Spell: Ethereal Web (Like Chain Lightning/Fire Rain) 11/16/2015 11:18 AM CST

> Yeah, that's fair. It just seemed fitting that Aether should have a slightly different relationship to WMs than Yet Another TM Spell.

As an aside, I really like the idea of giving warrior mages mobility. They're not so warrior if they have to stand in just the right place to have the mana to fuel their spells. Having a "TM" spell that returned mana could be an interesting way to do that. Think Chill Spirit, but rather than attacking the spirit you attack the mana pool. I could also see this going into the whole web idea that combines elements in a way to give you additional functionality via cyclic spells.

* Spell Option 1: earth + aether = web mines. Advancing/retreating has a chance to set off a big drain. Used with PW for a nice combo.

* Spell Option 2: air + aether = small and regular drain of everything around you (cast area/creatures option available)

* Spell Option 3: Lightning + aether = Single target drain + nerve/skin damage for more mana investment. At high levels, assuming you have mana to drain, it's a mana neutral spell. Maybe DFA.

* Spell Option 4: Water + Aether = Sorcerous drain. Full mana heal at the cost of neutering elemental mana in the area. Maybe reduced impact if you can destroy a fissure instead. A selfish spell. Maybe you carry the mana with you and the area loses it's elemental mana for an equal amount of time. I don't know. Not fleshed out, but you get the concept.

I kind of like this approach as a way of segmenting warrior mages. They could be mana independent by either destroying their opponent or sacrificing an environment. War has casualties.
Re: Aether Spell: Ethereal Web (Like Chain Lightning/Fire Rain) 12/03/2015 07:03 PM CST

a sweet mobility spell for war mages would be to expand on PW. have the added functionality of blasting yourself from missile to melee, with the possibility of perhaps a barrage or bonused attack with your mainhand weapon, or just have it simply work in conjucture with barrage.that would make war mages pretty deadly, cuz war is not exactly about being slow, and mages cuz magic. in turn im not sure if PW and barrage work together...I should try that...and blast someones skull apart in one manuever