CL as a spell still needed? 03/17/2015 07:59 AM CDT
I was reviewing the spell list with Gauthus and asked myself if Chain Lightning as a spell is really necessary. I see Chain Lightning as an extension to Lightning Bolt, in that more mana, Elemental Magic, or whatever other skill (combo of some), would create additional strikes. I remember Multiple Ethereal Shield as a separate spell. It was rolled into Ethereal Shield. Combine CL into Lb!

Thanks for reading my random thought/question.

-Dartellum Waddle
Re: CL as a spell still needed? 03/17/2015 08:25 AM CDT
CL is a different sort of spell - namely, lightning bolt is a DFA spell which bypasses shields, and CL isn't. CL can be cast indoors since the lightning from it doesn't come from the sky, LB can't.

CL is a pretty underwhelming spell right now and there is no real reason to take it over Shockwave at the moment jnless you aren't planning on going into the Air book (but you should because it contains many of the guild's best spells).

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -
Re: CL as a spell still needed? 03/17/2015 09:13 AM CDT
I have all air spells except Blufmor Garaen. I was just throwing a thought out. :)

I have at-least two spells in the other books as well. I was planning my next spell as I am nearing 50 and will have more spell slots available. I do have one right now and was looking at Mark of Arhat or Anther's Call.

Shockwave is nice. :)

-Dartellum Waddle
Re: CL as a spell still needed? 03/17/2015 09:16 AM CDT
>I have all air spells except Blufmor Garaen

But that's the best one!

Re: CL as a spell still needed? 03/17/2015 09:33 AM CDT
Once I have the spell slots, I might pick this one up now, especially if the high-five is implemented. :)

-Dartellum Waddle
Re: CL as a spell still needed? 03/17/2015 11:32 AM CDT
Beware of BG. It is considered the best spell because it does things a bit better than we really want. High five fun mechanics aside, it's due for a fix.

ASGM Ricinus
Core, Logistics, Survival
Cleric Advocate
Re: CL as a spell still needed? 03/17/2015 11:48 AM CDT
>> Beware of BG. It is considered the best spell because it does things a bit better than we really want. High five fun mechanics aside, it's due for a fix.

Awe, but I want things to go BOOM!

-Dartellum Waddle
Re: CL as a spell still needed? 03/17/2015 11:52 AM CDT
Things will still go BOOM. They just won't go BOOM!1!1lolol11 anymore.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: CL as a spell still needed? 03/17/2015 12:15 PM CDT
Speaking of spells and fixes, any plans for YS yet?

Re: CL as a spell still needed? 03/17/2015 01:53 PM CDT
>>Beware of BG. It is considered the best spell because it does things a bit better than we really want. High five fun mechanics aside, >it's due for a fix.

Ahh yes, keep the nerf bat swinging away.

Pretty interesting that at 1400 TM BG has real issues getting blocked and avoided by those with 1100-1200 in defenses. That alone speaks volumes about all the other non-BG spells since of course BG is the "best spell". I seem to recall a spamable ability that was recently buffed and now can bridge gaps 2-300 ranks apart easily. What was it... ah yes, backstab. But hey, balance is balance right?

Eh, I didn't enjoy being competitive at level anyways.

- Erixx
Re: CL as a spell still needed? 03/17/2015 02:08 PM CDT
>I seem to recall a spamable ability that was recently buffed and now can bridge gaps 2-300 ranks apart easily. What was it... ah yes, backstab. But hey, balance is balance right?

Would someone mind explaining this one?
Re: CL as a spell still needed? 03/17/2015 02:20 PM CDT
>>Would someone mind explaining this one?

Details about how backstab actually works can be found in the Thief folders.

ASGM Ricinus
Core, Logistics, Survival
Cleric Advocate
Re: CL as a spell still needed? 03/17/2015 08:01 PM CDT
I agree. Chain Lightning is rather underwhelming right now. It's very much a victim of TM spells being overly generic.

As for YS... to my knowledge it isn't broken. Armor buffs are just underwhelming as a product of the armor system.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: CL as a spell still needed? 03/17/2015 08:14 PM CDT
>Ahh yes, keep the nerf bat swinging away.

Can we not?

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: CL as a spell still needed? 03/17/2015 10:17 PM CDT
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply YS was broken. It is just uh. Underwhelming, to put it mildly.

Any chance of it being considered for a physical air cushion style barrier post barrier-review? Or I guess armor skill mattering.

YS 03/17/2015 10:37 PM CDT
Yes, YS is under the weather. I do not even use it now as I see no noticeable difference with it on. I remember when it did work wonders, when I wore all the armor types ages ago (30 some in game years.)

-Dartellum Waddle
Re: YS 03/17/2015 11:03 PM CDT
>>As for YS... to my knowledge it isn't broken. Armor buffs are just underwhelming as a product of the armor system.

Can we remove it from being a requirement for BG? SW requirement would be just fine.

"Game balance is sobbing over in the corner as it considers the ramifications of AoE Blufmor Garaen. Your spell slots send their condolences." - GM Raesh