Hiding and perception buffs 03/09/2014 07:11 PM CDT

I would like to see a perception buff and a hiding buff that doesn't buff who you are fighting too.

RM is great for hunting but the last thing you want to do is make it easier for that ranger\barb\thief to kill you from the shadows.

Earth meld was weak compared to other perception boost spells but it was something. Now that's gone. How about a spell that helps us with perception. Even the field some in PVP.

~Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Re: Hiding and perception buffs 03/09/2014 07:26 PM CDT
Not a GM, but it was mentioned a couple times that stealth is one of the weak points of the guild, so I wouldn't count on it. But you never know.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Hiding and perception buffs 03/09/2014 07:47 PM CDT
Earth Meld was never a perception boost.

And yeah, as Caraamon mentioned, basically it's intended design that WM's are terrible at stealth. RM was said to have been kept in as an anomaly/utility and that it shouldn't be taken as expression of WM's having any claims of being decent at stealth.

- Starlear -
Re: Hiding and perception buffs 03/09/2014 07:58 PM CDT
If the perception contest is enough of an edge case that a skill boost is going to (somehow) make the difference between winning and losing a fight, you could probably have killed your opponent six times over by blanketing the area in literal cover fire.

We don't have Perception under our sphere of influence, either. The odd WM utility spells that play to our weaknesses are situationally fun, but in this case playing to your strengths is more fun, less situational, and more effective.

We're legitimately lacking a single-target DoT with the change to Mark of Arhat, however, and that's good anti-stealth there. What's up with that?

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Hiding and perception buffs 03/09/2014 07:59 PM CDT
Yeah, with the advent of cyclic spells basically I just drop fire rain and let it knock people out of stealth for me.

- Starlear -
Re: Hiding and perception buffs 03/09/2014 08:03 PM CDT
Or he could do what he was told in the 3+ other threads he has made, and train sorcery, the skill specifically designed to allow you to use out-of-guild spells, and pick up a stealth boosting spell.
Re: Hiding and perception buffs 03/09/2014 08:58 PM CDT
Does Frostbite still have a chance to unhide people if they collapse from it?

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Hiding and perception buffs 03/09/2014 10:54 PM CDT
I have no idea but it should be easy to test. I THINK that was tied to the question of "Did frostbite knock the person over?" but I'm not sure.

- Starlear -
Re: Hiding and perception buffs 03/09/2014 11:05 PM CDT
...I remember testing this... But I don't remember what happened.

Re: Hiding and perception buffs 03/10/2014 05:42 PM CDT
Just for the record, Earth sense did boost perception once upon a time, before the rewrite that let it boost MO instead and just have spot effect... But even having said that, I remember it having terrible potency, and generally not being used except for magic training by earth lovers, it always lived in the shadow of revelation and would cause bickering constantly.

I don't think there are enough perception boosts to help most survival terts against survival primes, and it would probably be a spell that, while cool to have available, would rarely be chosen by most people, having seen how trim spell slots really are in test.

On the other hand, rising mists is a great spell, and goes along the same line of logic, if you're trying to hide on a survival prime(or even secondary) who is also trying to hide on you, you're probably 'doin' it wrong'

I would say keep the ideas coming though, it's been a while since random and cool spell ideas were thrown around.
Re: Hiding and perception buffs 03/10/2014 07:01 PM CDT
It was rumored for awhile that it boosted perception, but it was said to have not actually been the case ever, from what I recall - as far as I can tell, the lingering effect you got from it was assumed to be perception until it was told that it was MO instead and not perception.

- Starlear
Re: Hiding and perception buffs 03/10/2014 09:30 PM CDT
Earth sense has been so many different spells that it's hard to keep track!

Re: Hiding and perception buffs 03/11/2014 03:13 PM CDT
Children, conflicts go to the OOC Conflicts folder. My patience with folks having to pull posts in the WM folders is growing strained.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Hiding and perception buffs 03/18/2014 09:38 AM CDT
>>Does Frostbite still have a chance to unhide people if they collapse from it?

1. Doesn't work on invisibility
2. Instant re-hide

I'm just wondering when you guys will realize the changes you are making to survival/thieves pretty much makes 3 guilds a no contest against them. Primary vs Primary skill, stat vs stat, Otherwise even match up on paper is a no contest.

- Erixx
Re: Hiding and perception buffs 03/18/2014 03:09 PM CDT
I rarely lose to thieves at level anymore. Being able to SEE them is not a big deal with FR...and it's going to be less of a problem now that we're getting rimefang back. At your level you guys are SO far on one side or the other that really...it's just a matter of who gets the drop on who.

My thief has almost twice the hiding that my warmie has perc. I just sit down in spars with thieves. Pop back up once FR knocks them out of hiding (there's a reduction to targeted efficacy if you're sitting) and thunderclap/whatever spell you have prepped. Thieves are a GREAT class and I hope they get better but right now they're two trick ponies. Either they get in the stun and stabby stab or they stay at ranged with thrown/snipe. If it's thrown, stealth isn't an issue, if it's snipe, they have to time it pretty good to get a full aimed shot off before FR hits them (and that's if you're not casting a TC between FR pulses). Either way, they're yours for a moment.

If you take away ambush slash, all that's left is ambush clout and that's going to be pretty nifty 3.1 but right now it's just another stun. A straight backstab is their best bet but unless they REALLY hammer you, it's going to hurt them a lot more than it is you if they come out of hiding. With diminishing returns on stealth and the WOW WHAT THE HECK?! buff that watch gives, I'm surprised that anyone is still complaining about thieves/survivals being a problem as a warmie.

I'm hoping that stealth gets some love or watch gets some hate soon but they said it wasn't going to be ready for 3.1.
Re: Hiding and perception buffs 03/18/2014 03:34 PM CDT
You are fighting terrible thieves then, and I highly doubt they are 'at level'.But you play a thief so i'm not surprised by your post.

Fire rain is getting a pretty big nerf to it's pulse times. With shadowstep and 1-2 shots from backstab killing before the first pulse I'd say that option is off the table.

Have you even been in test? Clout drops concentration almost to 0 making it impossible to cast a single spell without backfiring. Watch was nerfed, stealth was buffed. So please stop comparing 3.0 situations when 3.1 is a different ball game.

- Erixx
Re: Hiding and perception buffs 03/18/2014 04:34 PM CDT
>You are fighting terrible thieves then, and I highly doubt they are 'at level'.But you play a thief so i'm not surprised by your post.

Anyone who disagrees with me is biased, wrong, and stupid!
Re: Hiding and perception buffs 03/18/2014 05:45 PM CDT

You're...what, maybe 30 (post 150) circle above me? I really shouldn't be able to slash you, but I do every time we fight, sometimes more than once. Just try sitting down against thieves. The pulse nerf is going to be a factor, but it's a factor now...and mitigated, at least for me, by blind casting between pulses. You do a TC opener and then nothing at all...I guess you chain search for them but really, if YOU'RE fighting at level you shouldn't be able to find the thief that's after you so why bother with searching?

Anyone can SEE when FR pulses from the next room. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to run in directly after with shadowstep up and spam slash.

Maybe I'm not fighting bad thieves...maybe you're a 'bad' warmie. I've noticed you rely a lot on your ranks rather than figuring things out. I imagine that you haven't had to do a LOT of at-level fighting because, frankly there aren't a lot of people at your level. Nature of the beast when all these changes come out and you're still top tier stuff. You can take that personally or just take it as a helpful critique but take it, either way.
Re: Hiding and perception buffs 05/05/2014 02:05 PM CDT
>>With shadowstep and 1-2 shots from backstab killing before the first pulse I'd say that option is off the table.

Could you explain this for me?

I believe that shadowstep allows someone to "jump to melee" in hiding. Then they BS you for 20-35% of your health. Any more and we'd have to look at how powerful it is. And that depends on your comparative skill, armor and stats a bit.

After the BS they need to re-hide before they can do it again. I'm guessing the stun from the BS makes that a trivial challenge? This also depends on the skills as hiding at melee is a perception-favored contest. If they can do it, you probably aren't Watching them? And the second BS is much less powerful. So you should still have 50% of your vitality after this combo.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Hiding and perception buffs 05/05/2014 04:06 PM CDT
>I believe that shadowstep allows someone to "jump to melee" in hiding.

Just a side note, in 3.1 Shadowstep has changed from teleport-to-Pole with 3 second RT to a moderate increase in advancement speed while in hiding.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Hiding and perception buffs 05/05/2014 07:22 PM CDT
>>After the BS they need to re-hide before they can do it again. I'm guessing the stun from the BS makes that a trivial challenge?

Skillsets make the contest a trivial challenge. Pulsing invisibility not withstanding skillsets and the new buff setup (20% caps) make it a runaway train. Additionally, rapid engagement and such only compound this. Speaking from the War Mage PoV (and lesser extent, the other casters), cyclics are setup to be more then slow enough a clever thief can slip between pulses to land an ambush and a stab. Once you've got a clout and a big eliminate bonused stab (oh, and if a thief fails a stab on a tert, they're so out of their league its comical, and might still win anyways), the casters in a bad enough position its just a few strikes from being over.

The ability of any guild to turn off another guilds entire skillset is frightening at best. Be it Khri Eliminate (plus BStab), cleric no-magic voodoo, or whatever. Thieves are the current hot button because of how FAST you can go from 100% to dead dealing with one.

Samsaren
Re: Hiding and perception buffs 05/06/2014 04:51 PM CDT
After Clout reduces your concentration to 0, how long does it take to recover? Does it also stun you?

As I understand it, Clout is also an attack. Does that attack usually do enough damage to stun or otherwise interrupt you?

Re: Hiding and perception buffs 05/06/2014 05:37 PM CDT
when not sitting, concentration can take anywhere between 5 and 10 minutes to recover fully, leaning more to the latter if you need to try and keep casting spells, and the spell casting penalty for concentration is huge, so you wont be able to push enough mana into a spell for an at circle opponent until near the end of that.

I don't think clout is auto 0 though, unless the thief way outclasses the target?
Re: Hiding and perception buffs 05/06/2014 06:10 PM CDT
Unless it is already, clout concentration loss should be capped similar to frostbite's fatigue loss. My understanding is that frostbite can't bring someone under X% fatigue.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Hiding and perception buffs 05/06/2014 09:20 PM CDT
Well if some of the people with concerns could post numbers it would be helpful. Is each clout 10%? 50%? Does the Clout do anything other than reduce concentration and perform a normal attack?

If someone wants to clout you instead of BS, you could be able to nail them with a 70% prep'd immobilizer (not 100%, or the concentration hit would get you). Then you have a few options while they recover.

It should be about as effective as casting frostbite on an enemy. And fatigue damage hurts melee AND casting, whereas concentration only hurts casting. Unless I'm missing something?

Re: Hiding and perception buffs 05/06/2014 09:35 PM CDT
<<Well if some of the people with concerns could post numbers it would be helpful. Is each clout 10%? 50%?>>

The range of the concentration hit depends on the success of the thief on the contest. It ranges between those. I've never heard of anyone getting over 50% concentration hit in a single clout, but I don't know of anyone that was testing it in vastly unbalanced match-ups either.

<<Does the Clout do anything other than reduce concentration and perform a normal attack?>>

Each clout interrupts spell preparation, so if the thief can successfully clout, he or she can repeatedly hit you with it to "chain lock" prevent spell preparation until you're at zero concentration.

<<If someone wants to clout you instead of BS, you could be able to nail them with a 70% prep'd immobilizer (not 100%, or the concentration hit would get you). Then you have a few options while they recover.>>

See above. Clout kills spells preparation so you're not going to be casting anything at them that needs to be prepped.

<<It should be about as effective as casting frostbite on an enemy. And fatigue damage hurts melee AND casting, whereas concentration only hurts casting. Unless I'm missing something?>>

There's no diminishing return for the "cancel spell prep" effect, so if it can be pulled off, it's a good way of keeping a spell caster from prepping. I think that's the point of the ability though. I personally think the concentration end of things is fine, but there should probably be a limit on how many times you can break a spell prep. I'd say around 3 times in a minute.
Re: Hiding and perception buffs 05/06/2014 09:51 PM CDT
>There's no diminishing return for the "cancel spell prep" effect, so if it can be pulled off, it's a good way of keeping a spell caster from prepping. I think that's the point of the ability though. I personally think the concentration end of things is fine, but there should probably be a limit on how many times you can break a spell prep. I'd say around 3 times in a minute.

As someone who primarily plays a thief these days, I'd say as described (currently) clout is broken, stupidly, in PVP. There should be diminishing returns or a hard cap on concentration drain, since concentration directly effects spellcasting (i.e. 0 conc, 0 spellcasting ability regardless of ranks). Combined with the spell-prep-break it just sounds insane. Even with stealth being difficult/buggy and subject to penalties and diminishing returns and watch, that just sounds like a bad ability.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Hiding and perception buffs 05/06/2014 11:15 PM CDT
Sure, it may be overpowered and in need of tweaking. Let's give 3.1 a chance to settle down and I'll keep it on my list of things to discuss with folks. Don't want to jump the gun on anything.

Re: Hiding and perception buffs 05/09/2014 03:07 PM CDT
>>>I believe that shadowstep allows someone to "jump to melee" in hiding. Then they BS you for 20-35% of your health. Any more and we'd have to look at how powerful it is. And that depends on your comparative skill, armor and >>stats a bit.

A typical BS lands at almost 50% vitality hit on me for first strike at level, the sever stun usually last long enough to allow for the 1 or 2 more needed to drop me.

Do you have any idea on the skill gap from a survival prime vs a survival tert at 150+ circle? Watch does nothing. Every other magic guild has some way of combating stealth that doesn't force them to have to have impossible amounts of perception for their level. Especially now since the stealth users can buff stealth 20%. So a tert base perception vs that, watch has no effect.

- Erixx
Re: Hiding and perception buffs 05/09/2014 04:06 PM CDT
Yeah, I definitely have experienced backstabbing being more like Erixx says. 50% or so on the first hit when combined with the stun and then 1 or 2 followup hits which don't have the 100% vit damage mitigation = basically like a fight in 2.0. I am not 150th and I definitely feel the primary vs tert gap, even though I train perception pretty hard for my level. It is basically hopeless...even with watch.

Wtb fast (5-10s) fire rain pulses. Hell, make it cost 3 slots if you need to.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -

- I maintain the Warrior Mage Beginner's Guide at:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Beginner%27s_Warrior_Mage_Guide
Re: Hiding and perception buffs 05/09/2014 04:31 PM CDT
>Do you have any idea on the skill gap from a survival prime vs a survival tert at 150+ circle? Watch does nothing. Every other magic guild has some way of combating stealth that doesn't force them to have to have impossible amounts of perception for their level. Especially now since the stealth users can buff stealth 20%. So a tert base perception vs that, watch has no effect.

Which is amusing because stealth players say the exact opposite.

Scissors: Rock is OP, nerf rock. Paper is fine.

Re: Hiding and perception buffs 05/09/2014 06:19 PM CDT
>>Which is amusing because stealth players say the exact opposite.

Good thing this isn't a stealth user folder then. And I highly doubt Stealth users are complaining about not hiding on a warmage. If they can't then they are greatly outclassed.

Also, I'm sure if the tables were flipped and my TM damage was based completely on their warding skill ( if they had it ) with no buff or any other way to even the odds besides gritting their teeth and taking it, then i'd put a little water into that argument you poorly attempted to make.

- Erixx
Re: Hiding and perception buffs 05/09/2014 06:28 PM CDT
>>It should be about as effective as casting frostbite on an enemy. And fatigue damage hurts melee AND casting, whereas concentration only hurts casting. Unless I'm missing something?

What are the numbers on that? How much stamina must be lost before it becomes noticeable? I say this because the only real use I have gained from it is putting enemies on their back, after they stand back up there doesn't really seem to be much of a difference pre-cast.

- Erixx
Re: Hiding and perception buffs 05/09/2014 07:46 PM CDT
>Also, I'm sure if the tables were flipped and my TM damage was based completely on their warding skill ( if they had it ) with no buff or any other way to even the odds besides gritting their teeth and taking it, then i'd put a little water into that argument you poorly attempted to make.

I didn't attempt any argument. I was A) saying 'stealth players say the opposite' without claiming to be one, because I'm not. And B) Citing the old hard-counter MMO argument (My classes hard counter is OP because it beats me, but the thing I hard counter is fine, nerf my hard counter) because I found it amusing.

But, since that's not how stealth actually works, it's a great comparison, I guess.

Re: Hiding and perception buffs 05/09/2014 08:46 PM CDT
Honestly, I think a lot of the issue really boils down to both the contest setup, and skillsets. Before I wax poetic, I'll go ahead and say that the efforts to bring a degree of balance ARE appreciated, as well as some honest dialog on the subject between the player-base and the GMs.

First off, skillsets. Because of the way things are laid out, all things being equal the survival tert are A L W A Y S going to suffer in a balanced contest. Without a deliberate handicapping of primary learning rates to keep terts up there will always be a gap and as one reaches higher and higher circles this problem rapidly compounds itself. I'll use my two biggest characters as an example:
My Paladin currently has 1030 shield. Despite my best efforts, including months of gaining no armor/shield exp in favor of evasion training, my evasion is only 800 ranks. And before anyone jumps on the 'But OMG perception can be trained out of combat lol111!111', I'm heavily combat focused, as thats the part of the game I enjoy.
My survival prime however is sitting on 555-560 Evasion, Stealth and Perception, but again despite months of no primary training to keep terts up, only 300s weapons and 450 armor/shield/defending.

Those gaps will only grow worse. SOIs, new buff caps, all those do is exasperate the issue.

Secondly, the contests involved.

Taking backstab, as its hot item #7 this week, there's a check of stealth vs perception. Assuming a contest remotely fair for the stealthy guy, and equal time spent training, the stealthy guy is going to win. Expecting otherwise is almost silly. Now, with this ability that success causes an immediate loss of two entire defences to Mr GotStabbed. 3.x has shown, painfully at times, -1- defense ends very very poorly. Leaving any other bonus or penalty structures aside, you've got amazing potential for headaches right there.

Everything after that is just window dressing. Talking about cyclic pulse times vs shadowstep vs whatever is completely tertiary to the two prior items. How to fix this, well, I'm just an armchair player, but honestly I think the skillset system of learning in the current world is likely causing more issues then it fixes. However turning all exp gain to a flat model wouldn't be an immediate fix either. Changing the Backstab ability also would only tackle this one instance, and in many ways almost do a disservice to a guild long established.

Personally, I think ANY ability that can skip large portions or completely nullify an entire skill set is BEGGING for balance issues (Shatter, Backstab, DFA), but that of course is only my opinion.

Samsaren
Re: Hiding and perception buffs 05/09/2014 08:52 PM CDT
I'd just like to say I've personally seen war mages take down thieves at level and much higher than them as well. They find a way. I'm sure many thieves can chime in on that.

Dyamond
Re: Hiding and perception buffs 05/09/2014 09:38 PM CDT

Samsaren wrote:

"Personally, I think ANY ability that can skip large portions or completely nullify an entire skill set is BEGGING for balance issues (Shatter, Backstab, DFA), but that of course is only my opinion"

Much like Ice Patch?
Re: Hiding and perception buffs 05/09/2014 11:56 PM CDT
Can you show me a log of you losing 50% of your vitality to a BS? That would seem to indicate the attacker had over 50% more OF than you had DEF. That is unlikely due to the BS bonus and one buff, alone.

Re: Hiding and perception buffs 05/10/2014 11:18 AM CDT
>"Personally, I think ANY ability that can skip large portions or completely nullify an entire skill set is BEGGING for balance issues (Shatter, Backstab, DFA), but that of course is only my opinion"

>Much like Ice Patch?

Since when does Ice Patch completely nullify shield/evasion/parry. It's a knock down and stun. That hardly sets a defense to 0 like Shatter, DFA or Backstab.
Re: Hiding and perception buffs 05/10/2014 04:41 PM CDT
>I'd just like to say I've personally seen war mages take down thieves at level and much higher than them as well. They find a way. I'm sure many thieves can chime in on that.

If personally you mean on a side chat where the failed to mention they were standing out in the open, then sure! Thanks for your input.

- Erixx