Other thoughts 01/17/2014 03:31 AM CST
Chain lightning needs some love. It went from the spell that was the signature of warrior mages to.... blah.

It is just too similar to Shockwave now, plus it really lacks that 'chain' in it's title.

I propose two alternatives.

1. Another boring area cyclic( or short duration pulsing ) with low accuracy and damage but will follow the caster.

2. The idea I prefer is to take out the area component of this spell. Turn it single target but have it pulse and hit a few times thus becoming chain lightning.

I'd rather option 1 come back as ball lightning. It was one of my favorite warrior mage spells and I could also see it as a decent way to train summoning at higher levels as well. Or if summoning is out of the question, it could possibly train our giant gaping hole in utility.

Mental buff.

Where is it at? Both wisdom/intel are in our SOI yet we cannot buff either of them. Both our disablers and TM are mental stat primary yet we are the only guild besides traders that cannot buff them. Hmm.

It just seems many of our spells and abilities in 3.0 were made to fit very niche situations or are just extremely generic with swapped elemental damage stats. In short of other words, lackluster:Boring. That's not at all how it was pre 3.0. Things went boom, I didn't shed a tear when I typed cast. It feels more like our guild was viewed as O.K, just changed a few spells, dulled it out and moved on to the next. We have a few solid spells that are the saving grace but they surely feel more like crutches. You all are busy, I get that. That seems to always be the case, but hat is it that WE have to look forward to?

- Erixx
Re: Other thoughts 01/17/2014 10:36 AM CST
>Mental buff.

You could buff them if you were to find scrolls of the bard spells Words of the Wind and Echoes of Aether; but that's unlikely. If the pathways (specifically power) were opened up to non-TM, we could enhance our disablers that way and would need a stat boost less.

Maybe the elemental transformations for the other elements could fill in:

Water: wisdom, athletics(swimming), breath underwater effect. I'm thinking about Eluned with this one: working title is Wisdom of the Waves.
Air: intell, athletics, +carrying capacity
Re: Other thoughts 01/17/2014 10:42 AM CST

>The idea I prefer is to take out the area component of this spell. Turn it single target but have it pulse and hit a few times thus becoming chain lightning.

I think having Chain lightning turn into a single target multi strike that pulses a few times would bring some life back into it. I miss the days of seeing chain lightning from rooms away. The spell has just been replaced and is rarely used now.

>Where is it at? Both wisdom/intel are in our SOI yet we cannot buff either of them. Both our disablers and TM are mental stat primary yet we are the only guild besides traders that cannot buff them. Hmm.

I don't see how one of the magic primary guilds got stuck without a single mental stat buff. Like the OP said, pretty much every guild has a mental stat buff, or if your a melee guild like paladin, you get Int Wis AND disc for all 3. Not knocking paladin. I think the way they are setup works very well for them. But i can't believe this has yet to be addressed.

-Grave Lord Zerreck Arkarm
Re: Other thoughts 01/17/2014 10:57 AM CST
Some decent points:

CL needs a bit more luster, I honestly miss seeing that as a go-to stable for the warrior mages. Another possiblity to go along with suggested is have it be single target, hitting the chap you aimed at (high accuracy/power) and then leap to the remaining engaged mobs, perhaps losing strength per jump, regaining potential if jumping to someone in all metal or some such.

Samsaren
Re: Other thoughts 01/17/2014 11:09 AM CST
>Another possibility to go along with suggested is have it be single target, hitting the chap you aimed at (high accuracy/power) and then leap to the remaining engaged mobs, perhaps losing strength per jump

I think this would be a cool change. Maybe make it so that it doesn't do all its hits immediately, but pulses every second or half-second, randomly hitting another target in the room, losing strength/integrity based on how far it jumps (ranged to melee would lose more strength than melee to melee). It keeps jumping until integrity is too low to sustain it.

Don't forget to vote:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Other thoughts 01/17/2014 11:48 AM CST
Random idea for CL. Make it a elemental form that summons a 'chain' armor that overlays armor and when attacked it shoots bolts out. Wouldn't need to use chain armor exp or anything just for the sake of the name of the spell. Not aa auto you attack me it shoots you, has to build a charge between pulses or something. IDK I love AEG and MOF and elemental transformations spells in each book would be awesome.

[00:15] Chatter[Uzmam] Damian just wants to beat up dancers, what a bully
[00:15] Chatter[Morpion] Wait for them outside the club at 3 am?
[00:15] Chatter[Damian] i enjoy making them scream with pure terror
Re: Other thoughts 01/17/2014 06:38 PM CST
how about make it electric dfa fireball? with multi strike non-dfa gar zeng potential?

anything after that in the tree would have to be staff of meraud crazy- like a giant thunderclap LB that stuns everything before it doomsdays the room, or like a cyclic thunderstorm ball lightning something... i dunno

Re: Other thoughts 01/18/2014 05:47 PM CST
or maybe a pulse after, like the lightning continues to arc between the targets 1-3 more times - so it's not all at once
or like a twitch debalancer, like the lightning's arcing around them still - like an arc light strobe after effect

even with the lowered hittable targets to AOE spells I think CL still needs something more

I miss the nerve damage, but I can see how that can be over the top now with how much a difference eye wounds and things make.

or just throw it out and give us something way over the top like a lightning BG, with like 5 finger casts or an all at once fist option?

Re: Other thoughts 01/19/2014 10:50 PM CST
>>how about make it electric dfa fireball? with multi strike non-dfa gar zeng potential?

>>anything after that in the tree would have to be staff of meraud crazy- like a giant thunderclap LB that stuns everything before it >>doomsdays the room, or like a cyclic thunderstorm ball lightning something... i dunno

Great idea, thanks for the sarcasm.

I know it's tough actually getting away from chasing gm run events thanks for taken out the time.

- Erixx
Re: Other thoughts 01/19/2014 10:53 PM CST

Hey, I actually thought his idea was great. Completely balanced and worth spending a few hours coding such a simple spell.

See I can do sarcasm also.

-Grave Lord Zerreck Arkarm
Re: Other thoughts 01/20/2014 11:13 AM CST
really?

the empath guild isn't that far of a walk from my house.

Re: Other thoughts 01/21/2014 12:44 AM CST
Erixx. I love you, can I have your love child?

--

In memory of Lisa/Martee. Passed 6/17/2013. A friend. A sister.
Re: Other thoughts 01/21/2014 01:15 AM CST
So are people not supposed to show up to GM run events? If so, then what's the point of having them?
Has there even been any non-invasion events in the past half year?
Re: Other thoughts 01/21/2014 01:25 AM CST
>So are people not supposed to show up to GM run events? If so, then what's the point of having them?

Wait, what?

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Other thoughts 01/21/2014 01:26 AM CST
Yes. Lots.

- Starlear -
Re: Other thoughts 01/21/2014 09:50 AM CST
>>Wait. what?

I dunno, I'm not even sure why Erixx is crying about me showing up to events for some reason?

When stuff happens on occasion, yes I do try and show up if it interests me, and sometimes I'm the only one there too(which would make me sad as a GM is noone showed up to my event)

Also I'm pretty sure just about everyone spends more time training in a single day than they'll be involved in GM or player run events for the entire year. Why the hell wouldn't you show up and break the monotomy.

>>Yes. Lots.

enh, in the past 6 months for non-invasion GM events I think: moonie visions with Raelyka and Tiv before he disappeared before HE fest, Tasrhhsu showing up to set up the sun to destroy the akulitz, Silvyr and D'or went on a date during HE, and the seamstress murder thing at HE. Most recently has been the Empath Moda stuff when they step out to talk for a few minutes. There was a couple Zoluren Court things I think, and I guess there's probably been some stuff in Theren for the wedding plans too.

Everything else I have notes on are invasions or happened back in May, or I just didn't go or hear about it.

Re: Other thoughts 01/21/2014 04:24 PM CST
Crying eh?

And people wonder why the GM's pretty much ignore any and all post in these folders. It's near impossible for anyone to attempt to put together constructive thoughts, the minors must come out of their play pins just so they can get some attention.

So, let me address the children.

That's an impressive summary Hause, glad you needed to justify my sarcasm directed at you, Thanks!

Elriic, I hate to break your heart, but there are laws against that sort of thing. Become a legal adult then maybe we can talk.

Other than the boohoo twins, anyone else have any decent ideas?

- Erixx
Re: Other thoughts 01/21/2014 05:32 PM CST
Erixx, I don't know if you realize it, but I agreed with you.

--

In memory of Lisa/Martee. Passed 6/17/2013. A friend. A sister.
Re: Other thoughts ::NUDGE:: 01/21/2014 06:17 PM CST
>And people wonder why the GM's pretty much ignore any and all post in these folders.

I can assure you not all GM's ignore these folders.

>anyone else have any decent ideas?

And let's keep this thread about this. No more bickering please, or I'll create a new spell called Summon Moderator.

Javac
JGM - Crafting Team

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl at DR-Annwyl@play.net.