Vela'tohr Region 09/26/2006 12:31 PM CDT
Wythor,

I get the impression that you had a lot to do with designing the vela'tohr area, particularly bloodvines and tresses and such. Just wanted to say thanks. I enjoy the area quite a bit. Probably because right now, between bloodvines and tresses, I can train everything from weapons to stealth to disarm and lockpicking. Anyhow, kudos!

-Golgol
Re: Vela'tohr Region 09/26/2006 01:50 PM CDT
<<Probably because right now, between bloodvines and tresses, I can train everything from weapons to stealth to disarm and lockpicking. Anyhow, kudos!

Care to compare the monsters in the region to something the masses might know a little better? Been having trouble getting concrete info on critters levels, abilities, etc. for some time...

~The Fire Lion Magmus Bloodston, Blackfire Enthusiast
Re: Vela'tohr Region 09/26/2006 02:55 PM CDT
<<Care to compare the monsters in the region to something the masses might know a little better? Been having trouble getting concrete info on critters levels, abilities, etc. for some time...

Bloodvines are very similar to morah vines except they hit harder. I'd say they're a swarming critter between vines and swains. Closer to swains though. I can handle three or four, whereas I can handle the engagement cap of vines/creepers. They also have a light thrown special attack. I'm easily learning hiding (52) and stalking (39) from them while wearing LC/HC. Can hide at pole on them. They teach all of my offense and defense ranging from 85 to 145. Drop gems and coins.

Maiden's tresses feel like they teach the same or slightly better than gypsy marauders or Haven swamp trolls, but they don't hit as hard as either. Don't swarm at all, hence only chance I've gotten to learn multi is using block stop on the rare second tress. Most I've seen together in one place are three, usually only see one. They don't move around at all. They mind lock all of my defenses and offenses (except multi) in about ten minutes. Drop gems and coins, occasionally a box. The boxes are harder than swamp trolls. I usually get minimal chances with 101 in disarm, occasionally get a snowball's chance. Clear Vision runes and a capped SUF are enough to get me through most boxes. My agility is 26.

-Golgol
Re: Vela'tohr Region 09/27/2006 05:04 AM CDT
>>I get the impression that you had a lot to do with designing the vela'tohr area, particularly bloodvines and tresses and such.

I developed five critter types for the region (gargoyles, bats, ogres, tresses, and bloodvines), so I had to investigate the area pretty extensively to make sure the critters matched the "theme" of the area, as well as settle them in places that made the most sense. I didn't have a hand in designing the actual area, though I did pitch in with some minor fixes here and there. It was also the first area I mapped out, just because I like to know where everything is. :)

The variety of creature creation experience I obtained gave me a lot of great ideas for WM-centric hunting, as well as assorted other nasty critters. It also helped me realize how badly TM spells message against critters with nonstandard body parts (something I intend to fix gradually over the next several months).

- GM Wythor

The plain and simple truth is that the truth is rarely plain and never simple.
Re: Vela'tohr Region 09/27/2006 11:50 AM CDT
<<gargoyles, bats, ogres, tresses, and bloodvines

Hmmmh...Gargs are not too tough, but, tough for a WM due to the immunity. How do bats, ogres and nyads/dryads compare? Looking for something compareable to hatchlings, la'heke and dobeks on Ratha in P5. Hopefully I'll find something where I can backtrain weapons/armor, train for circle and train magic. I gave up trying to find one critter that can do all three things a long time ago.

~The Fire Lion Magmus Bloodston, Blackfire Enthusiast
Re: Vela'tohr Region 09/27/2006 12:09 PM CDT
I don't know about the ogres, they've been compared to snoblins but what tier I don't know. Someone sad that Dryads were soft capping around 210 in weapons and TM. Purehand said that you can hit the bats with 60-70 in a ranged weapon, and someone else said they were still mind locking quickly with 110 in long bow.

-Golgol
Re: Vela'tohr Region 09/27/2006 01:05 PM CDT
Ogres come in several varieties. The hardest are a little under Adan'f Warriors in difficulty it seemed. They use mattocks, so that could have been exaggerating the hits. The smaller ones are maybe as hard as marauders? Then there are bow using ones... but I didn't see but one. A lithe blight ogre or something.

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Re: Vela'tohr Region 09/28/2006 05:20 PM CDT
>>Hmmmh...Gargs are not too tough, but, tough for a WM due to the immunity. How do bats, ogres and nyads/dryads compare? Looking for something compareable to hatchlings, la'heke and dobeks on Ratha in P5. Hopefully I'll find something where I can backtrain weapons/armor, train for circle and train magic. I gave up trying to find one critter that can do all three things a long time ago.

It's been awhile since I've been to la'heke or dobeks. It kinda sounds like cave trolls might be good for you though.

I was locking a weapon at around 270ish ranks rather well there. I'd guess they teach to mid 300s maybe..

They are skinnable too, but they are actually harder than bristlebacks to skin. Them seem alot easier to hit though.