Big ups to Elriic 05/04/2005 12:06 PM CDT
I just wanted to post a thank you to Elriic for sitting and talking with myself and Medir for quite some time outside the guild today. I got a quick primer on some of the higher-level spells (since I've been kind of lost on what to aim for next in my spell progression) and even got a bit of RP (not to mention learned a few interesting RP-related facts, who knew that even mentioning blackfire sorcery in a historical context was so taboo?). Not bad for a couple of hours, I say.
Re: Big ups to Elriic 05/04/2005 12:09 PM CDT
WTG Elriic

Trebber
Re: Big ups to Elriic 05/04/2005 02:49 PM CDT
I got a quick primer on some of the higher-level spells (since I've been kind of lost on what to aim for next in my spell progression) and even got a bit of RP (not to mention learned a few interesting RP-related facts, who knew that even mentioning blackfire sorcery in a historical context was so taboo?). Not bad for a couple of hours, I say.

My pleasure. I love to chat about the Warrior mage guild, and history of the lands in general. If you want to see things from the completely opposite perspective of the one Elriic presented to you, seek out a player named Magmus. He's as up to date, if not moreso than I and takes a more 'sinister' perspective on it. Just don't let him "corrupt" you. Heh.

~~~

In Memoriam: Goodbye Dangelo.
- Friend
- Barbarian
- All around good guy.

~~~
Re: Big ups to Elriic 05/04/2005 04:47 PM CDT
>I got a quick primer on some of the higher-level spells (since I've been kind of lost on what to aim for next in my spell progression)

Can you summarize for us here?

--Player of Aligrant, Malveras & Mozu
Re: Big ups to Elriic 05/04/2005 07:06 PM CDT
<<My pleasure. I love to chat about the Warrior mage guild, and history of the lands in general. If you want to see things from the completely opposite perspective of the one Elriic presented to you, seek out a player named Magmus. He's as up to date, if not moreso than I and takes a more 'sinister' perspective on it. Just don't let him "corrupt" you. Heh.

Corrupt is such a negative word Elriic. My kind prefer to use the term 'enlightened'. But since it was braught up, to some extent -- I was curious...how many people would attend an "underground, IC, and highly RP'ed meeting" sometime in the near future? Tempted to get the Blackfire RP going a little bit quicker, and get more people involved. Just sending out some feelers now, see what the crowd wants.

~The Blackfire Mage Magmus
Re: Big ups to Elriic 05/04/2005 07:54 PM CDT
<<Corrupt is such a negative word Elriic. My kind prefer to use the term 'enlightened'. But since it was braught up, to some extent -- I was curious...how many people would attend an "underground, IC, and highly RP'ed meeting" sometime in the near future? Tempted to get the Blackfire RP going a little bit quicker, and get more people involved. Just sending out some feelers now, see what the crowd wants.

I remember two seperate occassions where you asked for those interested to email you. I emailed you both times but nothing has come from it.

Trebber
Re: Big ups to Elriic 05/04/2005 08:25 PM CDT
<<I remember two seperate occassions where you asked for those interested to email you. I emailed you both times but nothing has come from it.

There is a slight possibility my spam filter auto-deleted the mail. There is also a slight possibility I accidentally deleted them myself, or saved them in a folder that is no longer around because my computer crashed a little while back. I do appologize if I never responded. After next week, my schedule really opens up and I'd say definately keep an eye out on the boards/IG though Trebber. I want to do something, and finally my schedule will give me the time to do it. Also, might as well appologize if I missed anyone else in the past few months..they've been hectic.

Re: Big ups to Elriic 05/05/2005 12:35 AM CDT
>>Can you summarize for us here?

Basically, the big question facing me now is whether I should aim for Chain Lightning, seeing as I'll be hitting 36th and 39th circle soon (I can get LB at 36, save my slot from 39th, and CL becomes available one circle later). I've been told I fight like a barb, and as such, I have combat skills to last me through 70th circle or so. Based on my magic skills, which are more than adequate for my circle but not quite up to the level of others who rely more heavily on magic, Elriic advised against getting it until I had a bit more experience so as to actually get use out of the spell. The other topics of discussion were strategic use of Fortress of Ice and Fissure. Not sure exactly what you'd like to know in regards to that, but it was more a "you're young and don't have these spells so let me tell you more about them" encounter than a real training session.

>>If you want to see things from the completely opposite perspective of the one Elriic presented to you, seek out a player named Magmus. He's as up to date, if not moreso than I and takes a more 'sinister' perspective on it. Just don't let him "corrupt" you. Heh.

Oh, I'm well aware of Magmus through the boards. I still haven't made a decision where Halcier stands on the whole Blackfire issue, although I'm seeing him leaning more towards Elriic on this one. While I'd like to learn more about Blackfire in general, I don't see any good, IC way to go about it at the moment. Besides, I have to resist the urge to throw my hands in the air and run away screaming everytime I see Magmus anyways due to my terrible OOC knowledge. Why make it worse on myself? :)

Back to the work of learning more history and finding a way to learn about Blackfire without getting myself banished or incinerated.
Re: Big ups to Elriic 05/05/2005 09:59 AM CDT
>>Not sure exactly what you'd like to know in regards to that, but it was more a "you're young and don't have these spells so let me tell you more about them" encounter than a real training session.

Yes, what he said in regards to fissure.

--Player of Aligrant, Malveras & Mozu
Re: Big ups to Elriic 05/05/2005 03:00 PM CDT
Besides, I have to resist the urge to throw my hands in the air and run away screaming everytime I see Magmus anyways due to my terrible OOC knowledge. Why make it worse on myself? :)

Just take your time when you play it out, and be prepared to invest time into it. More than one encounter for sure. I give Magmus credit for his ability to stay in character. Through the years, it's been my encounters with him that leave me walking away the most fulfilled when it comes to sparring over the guild, history, and right and wrong.

Most people who play characters that take a darker view on things typically are far better at role play than others. It is actually quite difficult to do what he does because in addition to dealing with people like myself who are rather good at tripping people up, he has to deal with the OOC'ers and the snertsaders.

Halcier, I'd actually encourage you to try and introduce yourself to Magmus. As I said before, he's extremely well versed in history, and if nothing else he likes to sit on his soapbox!

~~~

- Friend
- Barbarian
- All around good guy.

~~~
Re: Big ups to Elriic 05/05/2005 03:42 PM CDT
The Bird is in the hand, replace the stones. Beta Foxtrot Camel. Seeking matrix and waiting for completion.

"What do ya mean the goblin is wielding a greatsword? Since when can a goblin even.. OW!! why you little OW! Uh oh.. RUN AWAY!"
Re: Big ups to Elriic 05/05/2005 04:56 PM CDT
<<Elriic's post

Makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Oh wait, that's the bourbon. But, I agree...with lots of what he said. I'm always looking for more RP...even if you want to whisper OOC'ly to me, "Hey, can we RP?" I'll take that as a hint.

Re: Big ups to Elriic 05/06/2005 12:59 PM CDT
Can I ask is there anywhere to read about the blackfire story? I know a little bit but not much so I'm curious to read about it.

Thanks,
Kheric
Re: Big ups to Elriic 05/06/2005 02:05 PM CDT
<<Can I ask is there anywhere to read about the blackfire story? I know a little bit but not much so I'm curious to read about it.

Any of the WM guild libraries will have books. The Special Throne City Library has the Treatise's on the Elements which also deal with Blackfire. Other than that, asking around...some of the IG knowledge is filtered down through events, or guarded by opposing sides that think it 'sensitive'.

Re: Big ups to Elriic 05/06/2005 03:13 PM CDT
Thanks, guess its time to pull out the ol' library card
Re: Big ups to Elriic 05/07/2005 03:19 AM CDT
>>Yes, what he said in regards to fissure.

Well, I'll leave it up to the man himself to correct me, but this is the message I got out of it. Basically, fissure should be a focus for many mages once they have the skills (mostly PM & Harness, also PP a bit) for it. His recommendations were that they be along the same lines as those for CL, i.e., 50th degree master(?) or so (which is 250 if memory serves me). The particular reasons it would be good for you are hunting in bad mana areas and the ability to buff yourself up immensely before even stepping foot into a hunting ground. Take-home message: Capped buffer spells and high-mana hunting are good, and Fissure helps you get there. (Of course, I may have totally misinterpreted or forgotten the point, so take this as you will.)

>>Halcier, I'd actually encourage you to try and introduce yourself to Magmus. As I said before, he's extremely well versed in history, and if nothing else he likes to sit on his soapbox!

>> I'm always looking for more RP...even if you want to whisper OOC'ly to me, "Hey, can we RP?" I'll take that as a hint.

Well, I like to think I'm not terrible at RP, but I certainly wouldn't feel confident taking on a darker persona at this point. And don't either of you worry, working out a way to RP some interactions with Magmus and some more of the "big names" I've read/heard about is high on the priority list. I don't really have a fear of anyone IG. Respect and admire, certainly, but as far as my character's concerned, you're all a bunch of wizened old mages he wants to be some day. I just want to read some more of those books about WM history and blackfire and take care of a small but persistent plotline that needs to be wrapped up soon, but there'll be some interaction happening soon enough.
Re: Big ups to Elriic 05/07/2005 07:43 PM CDT
If he said 50th degree master, I believe that would be 450... though above master is not measured like that, incase you further confused it. Expert is measured in degrees, but it would be an easy way of saying master to certain levels as well. I hope I helped!

~Worrclan, Dwarf of the Realms-
Re: Big ups to Elriic 05/07/2005 11:05 PM CDT
If he said 50th degree master, I believe that would be 450... though above master is not measured like that, incase you further confused it. Expert is measured in degrees, but it would be an easy way of saying master to certain levels as well. I hope I helped!

50th degree Expert -- 250 :)

~~~

- Friend
- Barbarian
- All around good guy.

~~~
Re: Big ups to Elriic 05/09/2005 01:32 AM CDT
>>50th degree Expert -- 250 :)

Yeah, what he said. :) I suspected I was using the wrong term when I made my post, but at least my numerical understanding was correct. Time to start compiling my own list to stick by my computer so I can stop spamming EXP RP all the time.