Is this really what this spell is about? 03/11/2007 08:52 PM CDT
You gesture.
The mana you were holding contributes to the spell.
Harnessing the winds to your will, you throw your hand up and a gale explodes outward!
A swamp troll's ethereal shield crackles with energy!

A swamp troll is hit by a wall of churning air and knocked flat!
The blast of air strikes a swamp troll, bruising its right arm!
A swamp troll is hurled south!

A small peccary is hit by a wall of churning air and thrown off balance.
The buffeting winds halt a small peccary's advance toward you!
The blast of air strikes a small peccary, bruising its right leg!
A small peccary is stunned by the powerful shockwave!
A small peccary is blasted backwards several steps by the fierce winds!

A swamp troll is hit by a wall of churning air and forced to the ground!
The blast of air strikes a swamp troll, bruising its left leg!
A swamp troll is hurled southeast!

A small peccary is hit by a wall of churning air and knocked flat!
The blast of air strikes a small peccary, bruising its right leg!
A small peccary is stunned by the powerful shockwave!
A small peccary is hurled northwest!

A swamp troll is hit by a wall of churning air and knocked flat!
The blast of air strikes a swamp troll, bruising its left leg!
A swamp troll is hurled northwest!
A swamp troll lets out a last gurgling bellow as it expires.

yup check that last line, this is my normal hunting area
gonna try one with a veil of ice up next
Re: Is this really what this spell is about? 03/11/2007 09:46 PM CDT
What's the problem?

Fuquois
Re: Is this really what this spell is about? 03/11/2007 10:15 PM CDT
It has many uses, aside from looking extremely cool. For those of us without Chain Lightning, using it with Mantle of Flame can result in a pesky swarm being completely destroyed.
Re: Is this really what this spell is about? 03/11/2007 10:33 PM CDT
i never thought it would be killing anything
Re: Is this really what this spell is about? 03/12/2007 09:10 AM CDT
I seem to recall the spell being said to cause damage to those within engagement range, with other spells like VOI simply adding their damage.

Do the trolls make it a habit of sharing their spells like that, though? Seems pretty funny to see them buffing up the pigs.

J'Lo, no that other one
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Is this really what this spell is about? 03/12/2007 10:38 AM CDT
What spell is that? PW?

~Dalkin~
Re: Is this really what this spell is about? 03/12/2007 11:03 AM CDT
Shockwave

-Durnil
Re: Is this really what this spell is about? 03/14/2007 03:29 PM CDT
Odd. I never noticed Shockwave doing great damage even with VoI up. Like all damaging spells, it did a lot of vitality damage to other players but against critters it was mostly scuffs and occasional bruises. So who knows. I tested it on dozens of critters.

Though, PULSE SPELL mechanics are broken. Or were broken.. still not sure if that was fixed. I vaguely recall Wythor making a comment on having tweaked something. It was preventing harnessed mana from contributing to spells like Shockwave, fire shard and Static discharge. It could have been that my casts weren't at the strength I thought they were. I'll test more when I can.

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Re: Is this really what this spell is about? 03/16/2007 02:15 AM CDT
>>Though, PULSE SPELL mechanics are broken. Or were broken.. still not sure if that was fixed. I vaguely recall Wythor making a comment on having tweaked something. It was preventing harnessed mana from contributing to spells like Shockwave, fire shard and Static discharge. It could have been that my casts weren't at the strength I thought they were. I'll test more when I can.

Shockwave and Chain Lightning both have a 'temporary fix' in place until permanent fixes can be made in core magic (which will fix all pulse spells). Shockwave should be properly using harnessed and cambrinth-stored mana. The only thing that isn't being added right now is the power boost from the Zephyr spell.

- GM Wythor

The plain and simple truth is that the truth is rarely plain and never simple.
Re: Is this really what this spell is about? 03/16/2007 08:50 AM CDT
Ahh ok. Thank you for that clarification.

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Re: Is this really what this spell is about? 03/16/2007 08:42 PM CDT
Well my own testing shows that while Shockwave deals a little damage, it is indeed just a little...

>cast
You gesture.
Harnessing the winds to your will, you throw your hand up and a gale explodes outward! Your Veil of Ice is shattered by the winds, sending hundreds of razor-sharp shards of ice slicing through the air around you!

A fendryad is hit by a storm of icy shards and knocked flat!
The blast of air and ice strikes a fendryad, bruising and shredding its left leg and chest!
A fendryad is hurled east!

>appr fen
You are certain that the fendryad is battered.
The fendryad has a relatively minor wound.
You are certain that it is about as agile as you are.
You are certain that it is not quite as quick to react as you are.
You are certain that it is not quite as strong as you are.
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with a curved steel iltesh with an ironwood pommel carved into the shape of a leaf, you are certain that the fendryad is a challenging opponent.
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a curved steel iltesh with an ironwood pommel carved into the shape of a leaf, you are certain that the fendryad is a rather difficult opponent.

This was using 15-30 mana shockwaves with veil of ice on me. I found the mana used really didn't affect the damage dealt too much. In order to kill a 2nd tier fendryad I had to use 3-4 casts consistantly.

I got this several times too....

A swamp troll is hit by a storm of icy shards and thrown off balance.
The shards of ice inflict no apparent damage to a swamp troll, but the blast of air strikes it, bruising its abdomen!
A swamp troll is hurled southeast!

And the end result was slight damage. Perhaps I just didn't win the contest by enough for the shards to hit. The small amount of damage I see shockwave doing is just fine, but that death in your log post must have been the result of previous injuries?

Re: Is this really what this spell is about? 03/17/2007 07:17 AM CDT
>>The shards of ice inflict no apparent damage to a swamp troll, but the blast of air strikes it, bruising its abdomen!

>>And the end result was slight damage. Perhaps I just didn't win the contest by enough for the shards to hit.

The ice shards did hit the swamp troll, they just didn't cause any damage. The ice inflicts a different type of damage than the blast of air does. What likely happened was that the troll was more resistant to the damage from the ice shards and able to reduce the damage from that source to zero, while it wasn't as resistant to the damage inflicted by the blast of air.

- GM Wythor

The plain and simple truth is that the truth is rarely plain and never simple.
Re: Is this really what this spell is about? 03/17/2007 01:11 PM CDT
i suppose i should mention when i killed that troll with the shockwae
that group of critters was hit with vertigo,sd, and ros before the cast so it had taken other damage
Re: Is this really what this spell is about? 03/17/2007 06:25 PM CDT
Yeah that was an important bit of information :P Thank you for clarifying that. People are quick to jump on the XXXX is overpowered bandwagon, and I didn't think it was justified in this situation.

I can understand the reason why the swamp troll took no damage from the ice shards, and am fine with it. It was pretty cool actually :)

Re: Is this really what this spell is about? 03/17/2007 10:14 PM CDT
>app atik careful
You are certain that the scaled atik'et is healthy.
You are certain that the scaled atik'et is slightly fatigued.
You are certain that it is about as quick to react as you are.
You are certain that it is about as strong as you are.
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with a heavy steel bastard sword set with a lustrous dragon's blood amber pommel, you are certain that the scaled atik'et is a worthy opponent.
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a heavy steel bastard sword set with a lustrous dragon's blood amber pommel, you are certain that the scaled atik'et is a relatively easy opponent.

[Roundtime: 10 seconds]
R>
* With the speed and temerity of a swooping falcon, a supple firecat swiftly swipes with flame-tipped claws at you. You evade, bending aside easily.
[You're bruised, nimbly balanced and in excellent position.]
R>
You close to pole weapon range on a red-gold scaled atik'et.
You stop a red-gold scaled atik'et from advancing any farther.
R>
A red-gold scaled atik'et sketches an arcane symbol with a flame-tipped finger.
You recognize the spell as Ethereal Shield.
R>
* Driving in like the irresistable force of a cyclone, a supple firecat swiftly swipes with flame-tipped claws at you. You evade, ducking in the nick of time.
[You're bruised, nimbly balanced and in superior position.]
R>
You close to melee range on a red-gold scaled atik'et.
R>app firec quick
You are certain that the supple firecat is healthy.
You are certain that the supple firecat is slightly fatigued.
You believe that it is rather less agile than you are.
You wonder if it is rather more quick to react than you are.
You wonder if it is apparently as strong as you are.
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with a heavy steel bastard sword set with a lustrous dragon's blood amber pommel, you think it is likely that the supple firecat is a solid opponent.
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a heavy steel bastard sword set with a lustrous dragon's blood amber pommel, you are certain that the supple firecat is a relatively easy opponent.

[Roundtime: 3 seconds]
R>
* Driving in like an unbeatable force, a supple firecat swiftly swipes with flame-tipped claws at you. You dodge, stepping aside in the nick of time.
[You're bruised, nimbly balanced and in superior position.]
R>path foc dam
You feel fully balanced again.
>
The scaled atik'et gestures causing the heat to shimmer around her.
A red-gold scaled atik'et's ethereal shield shimmers slightly.
>
* Moving in with powerful grace, a supple firecat swiftly swipes with flame-tipped claws at you. You dodge, ducking in the nick of time.
[You're bruised, solidly balanced and in good position.]
>
You are already manipulating an aether pathway to your benefit.
>cast
You gesture.
The mana you were holding contributes to the spell.
Harnessing the winds to your will, you throw your hand up and a gale explodes outward! Your Mantle of Flame is blown to tatters by the fierce winds, sending flashes of brightly burning fire spinning off in all directions!
A red-gold scaled atik'et's ethereal shield crackles with energy!

A red-gold scaled atik'et is hit by a torrent of fiery bolts and forced to the ground!
The blast of air and fire strikes a red-gold scaled atik'et, bruising and blistering its right arm and right leg!
A red-gold scaled atik'et is stunned by the powerful shockwave!
A red-gold scaled atik'et is hurled southwest!

A supple firecat is hit by a torrent of fiery bolts and knocked flat!
The blast of air and fire strikes a supple firecat, bruising and blistering its abdomen and chest!
A supple firecat is stunned by the powerful shockwave!
A supple firecat is hurled southwest!
>
You sense that the exertions of your mind are altering the course of local aethereal streams.
>path stop
You gently relax your mind and release your hold on the aethereal pathways.
>sw
[The Fangs of Ushnish, Lava Field]
Jagged shards of obsidian thrust up from the parched earth at odd angles, formed by the shifting lava flows. Faint hints of olivine streak the glassy surface. The sharp edges and poisonous green color give rise to the local name for this area, the Fangs of Ushnish. As lava cools, it hardens, only to break out again in another location. The path through the field is never constant as nature's wrath, or that of the god, makes itself known in molten rock. You also see a supple firecat who is lying down and a red-gold scaled atik'et that appears stunned.
Obvious paths: north, northeast, south.
>look firec
You see a supple firecat.
The supple firecat has faint scuffing to the chest, cuts and bruises about the abdomen.
It is wearing nothing!
It is carrying nothing!

>look atik
You see a red-gold scaled atik'et.
The scaled atik'et has deep cuts across the right arm, faint scuffing to the right leg.
The scaled atik'et is bleeding slightly from the right arm.
It is wearing nothing!
It is carrying nothing!

Forgot to app them afterwards... lemme do it again.

Fuquois
Re: Is this really what this spell is about? 03/17/2007 10:14 PM CDT
>app atik careful
You are certain that the scaled atik'et is healthy.
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with a heavy steel bastard sword set with a lustrous dragon's blood amber pommel, you are certain that the scaled atik'et is a worthy opponent.
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a heavy steel bastard sword set with a lustrous dragon's blood amber pommel, you are certain that the scaled atik'et is a relatively easy opponent.

R>
The scaled atik'et closes to pole weapon range on you!
R>
A red-gold scaled atik'et sketches an arcane symbol with a flame-tipped finger.
You recognize the spell as Ethereal Shield.
R>
The scaled atik'et closes to melee range on you!
R>
You feel fully prepared to cast your spell.
>path foc dam
You focus on manipulating an aethereal pathway to enhance the damage of your targeted spells.
>
You feel fully attuned to the mana streams again.
>cast
You gesture.
Harnessing the winds to your will, you throw your hand up and a gale explodes outward! Your Mantle of Flame is blown to tatters by the fierce winds, sending flashes of brightly burning fire spinning off in all directions!

A red-gold scaled atik'et is hit by a torrent of fiery bolts and thrown off balance.
The blast of air and fire strikes a red-gold scaled atik'et, bruising and blistering its neck and head!
A red-gold scaled atik'et is stunned by the powerful shockwave!
A red-gold scaled atik'et is hurled south!
>s
[The Fangs of Ushnish, Lava Field]
Jagged shards of obsidian thrust up from the parched earth at odd angles, formed by the shifting lava flows. Faint hints of olivine streak the glassy surface. The sharp edges and poisonous green color give rise to the local name for this area, the Fangs of Ushnish. As lava cools, it hardens, only to break out again in another location. The path through the field is never constant as nature's wrath, or that of the god, makes itself known in molten rock. You also see a red-gold scaled atik'et that appears stunned.
Obvious paths: north, southwest.
>app atik careful
You are certain that the scaled atik'et is battered.
The scaled atik'et has a relatively minor wound.

R>look atik
You see a red-gold scaled atik'et (stunned).
The scaled atik'et has tiny scratches to the head, deep cuts across the neck.
The scaled atik'et is bleeding slightly from the neck.
It is wearing nothing!
It is carrying nothing!

Fuquois
Re: Is this really what this spell is about? 03/17/2007 10:17 PM CDT
Being that those are somewhat at level for me, I'd say that it'd be hard to say this spell is overpowered. I like the level of damage that it deals, and love the utility of the spell.

Not just because it's great for shedding combatants, but also because it's finally an easy way to get rid of MoF without having to cast Rising Mist.

Fuquois