Let's close some rifts up y'all 10/23/2017 01:39 AM CDT
As per this post from Armifer a year-ish ago:

Re: A set of missives is delivered to the offices of the Guildleaders. ยท on 01/11/2016 19:37:50 795

Regardless of the plane of origin and the nature of the creature involved, a planar breach is a break in the aetheric landscape of the plane. This may be very small, such as when a Moon Mage predicts the future, or very large, such as when a the Hunger attempted to enter the plane. In any case, it can be treated as an aetheric event and repaired within the scope of advanced-enough elemental magic.
This has some combat applications for the imaginative, but either "planar warfare" spells have been deemed too esoteric to bother investing time into research, or they are kept close to the Grovekeepers' chests.

Now, all that being said, wouldn't it be nice if every time there was even a hint of a planar incursion everyone didn't just default to asking the closest moon mage what to do? The IG lore has several examples of elementalists doing the dirty work of holding reality together (a la Farn and Company to name an easy one), and I for one would be happy to continue the tradition. Just seems like we have some pretty interesting RP and story options with respect to this sort of stuff, and we always wind up going to same path of 'What Do The Dice Say' and 'Better Pray The Pain Away' both of which are fun and all, and much better nothing, but it would be cool to remind everyone that we are just the slightest bit more that bipedal flamethrowers.
Re: Let's close some rifts up y'all 10/25/2017 07:52 AM CDT
As Armifer mentioned, it requires a certain advanced level of Elemental magic to seal breaches. I don't recall there being any other cases of Elementalists sealing rifts other than the Zaulfung Stones, but I can tell you that having my WM engage in RP/Events surrounding them has revealed that:

1. The magic is extremely complicated, not easily replicated, and not well known.
2. Anyone who knows how it works isn't talking about it.

I can't say "This is why Elementalists are never called in for this sort of thing." But I can say there's some IG reasoning.

In regards to the rift in HE, the HE event is surrounding Harawep's anger at sorcery (Which is why Clerics are involved), and tied into the release of Trader Lunar Magic (Which involves the Plane of Probability so MMs are clearly interested). So, would it be neat if the Grovekeepers came out and had us help them close a barrier? Yup. Is that likely to happen? I don't think so. The way people are helping is by assisting the group of priestesses. Parts of the events are clearly geared towards Holy types and Lunar types, for the above reasons.

As far as doing more than being destroyers, I've tried a couple of times to gather the guild and suggest ways to do other type of events. Once in particular I brought up the idea that we could utilize Earth magics and Summoning to help create the new Keep that Zoluren's Royal family intends to move into. (This is largely how WM Guildhalls are created to begin with.) A group of WMs was interested and the idea was passed on to Seyalle, who at the time was in charge of P1 Events. She liked the idea but wasn't sure it was doable.

Sorry I don't have more to offer you in those regards, but this is where it stands.