Development? 01/03/2017 04:48 AM CST
I haven't played DragonRealms since 2004 and recently reactivated my account to see what's changed. I have to say, in 13 years I'm shocked at how little development the Warrior Mages have received. Maybe I'm off base and someone can correct me.

Long promised systems such as enchanting and artifact creating, systems were were promised in 2004 after taking a significant nerf to magical devices learning, don't exist. Familiars haven't changed at all and it looks like all the guilds have them now. Summoning/Aligning to an element seems like a massive nerf to what used to be the guild's last strength, multiple attack spells to use in combat.

There are a few new spells since I left but other than that, it seems like there's been no forward advancement for the guild.

Someone let me know what I'm not seeing in the wiki. What abilities and systems am I missing?

Havok
Re: Development? 01/03/2017 05:50 AM CST

The biggest changes went into magic, combat and crafting (along with skill changes, ie more magic skills fewer survival, armor and weapons through combines of skills). So have war mages changed? In a way yes but right now most of the changes are in places where we all dwell.

Combat changes: No more single swing kills. So you wont get completely zotted by a critter with one attack (unless of course its an invasion and you got nailed with a volley of arrows.) Combat was slowed down some, taking longer to kill a target, thus fewer critters in the lands at any one point and a bit easier to train without a swarm. Interesting group effects with skills like Tactics, new combat maneuvers (which also are interesting when used in groups), Big weapons and armor changes because of crafting. Bunches of new critters (specially high end ones).

Magic Changes: Big expansion to magic skills - Elemental Magic (formerly primary magic), Attunement (formerly power perception), Arcana (formerly magic devices), Targeted Magic, Augmentation (new), Debilitation (new), Utility (new), Warding (new), and Sorcery (new). Changes to how they work, cyclic spells, Analogous Spells (which all magic casters can use), ritual spells, and memorizing of some other guilds spells (sorcery skill). How they train has changed as well. And the new spell feats.

Crafting: This was to replace the old systems all using mech lore (fletching, various enchanting things, prayer beads, lockpick carving, and on an on). So at this point we have 8 of the 15 areas of crafting usable for folks and yep, not all of it is done specially enchanting. Even though engineering is done for its parts the lockpick carving part of tinkering is not yet in and a few other things.

War mages: Besides the massive rewrite of magic, each profession was to get a skill special to that guild (war mages got summoning, rangers kept scouting, barbs got expertise, clerics theurgy, and on and on). Each of the guild only skills can be trained but has not yet been really set up to make them fully useful other than to circle or multiple ways to train them, though summoning has some interesting ways to be trained. Such as align to an element, then summon admit till you fill it, then starting pathway damage (trains really well at lower levels not as great at upper levels). Also align element, summon admit full and cast TM spells from that element works good too. That is still in the works. One of things war mages got was Elemental weapons (https://elanthipedia.play.net/Elemental_weapon), where you basically summon a weapon every bit as good as some of the best crafted weapons with the right craft techs and metals. Though at beginning levels you wont be using a well crafted summoned weapon, but it does help with weight issues when a war mage requires 3 weapons to train. Aligning to specific elements which reduces only the opposite element not the ones that are not directly opposite and boosts the one aligned. More war mage spells than can actually be learned so you have to choose a path, oh by the way more spells on the way called barrier spells. Its possible most guilds will have more spells than slots to get them, which might have some interesting results.

The familiars have not changed and neither have ranger companions nor has the third ranger companion showed, but that is also in the works. Some of the new pets (rats, piglets, kittens) give insight into possible changes coming for both though they are not as useful at this point as the familiars.

Bottom line, even though it appears not a lot has changed, a lot has changed in the lands. And a lot more is on the books to come. I suspect we are going to see some form of enchanting really soon because the push is on to end mech lore training and converting once to each craft, and force folks to convert mech lore to a craft and end mech lore. They cant do that till they have something that can be trained in enchanting and change all the things that train mech lore to training something else. So something will appear pretty quickly I suspect. How detailed it will be on the first pass is a guessing game. So yeah a lot things are not completed yet.

Overall there are enough changes that make relearning things pretty interesting.

Ranger Pfanston and his soggy pup.
Re: Development? 01/03/2017 09:16 AM CST
Hi, and welcome back!

If you're coming back from 2004 then the core guild experience will be similar to what you remember but there have been quite a few changes big and small.

As far as just new stuff:

- Lots of new spells
- Summoning, including an entire suite of abilities to let you summon very good quality elemental weapons.
- A lot of flavor in bits and pieces of lore, if that's your bag.

I'm having trouble figuring out what you mean in a couple of places.

Familiars are still WM only.

Aligning to an element doesn't affect your ability to blow things up with magic and you have way more options for that today than you did in 2004.

Mazrian
Re: Development? 01/03/2017 10:34 AM CST

I hate to say this.

But flee young son, flee this guild and go play a Cleric.

Thank me later.
Re: Development? 01/03/2017 12:11 PM CST
The enchanting and artifact systems are tied into the new lore systems and have nothing to do with War Mage development.

Aligning isn't as problematic as it first seems. Casting aligned spells increases your summoning charge so you don't need to use admit as much, and once you gain a few ranks you'll be able to change your opposing element to whatever you want. It's a much easier skill to train then theurgy.

I really enjoy the elemental weapon system. You can summon weapons of varying qualities and types (all depends on how much time and spells lots you're willing to put into it) and with the right meta spells change weapon density and/or replace the highest damage stat (puncture/slice/impact) with an elemental damage type (ice/fire/electricity). I think it really lends to the notion that we are WARRIOR mages.

While there is currently only one in game so far, a dragon familiar was released as an auction item at the last fest. It's been said that it might become a questable item.
Re: Development? 01/03/2017 03:08 PM CST
I loved when you got enough summoning to align a different opposing element. Fire aligned and Electricity opposed. Electricity book is crap except for EE anyway.

You slap Voldag hard in the face with your hand, making a nice crisp smack!! That's going to leave a mark!
Re: Development? 01/03/2017 03:39 PM CST
Hey, welcome back!

DR development over the past few years has been pretty strongly focused on the core game. The improvements to combat, magic, skills, the experience system, crafting, character customization, the world map, and system transparancy are have really reinvigorate the game for me.

Not a lot of guild-focused development has taken place for anyone while core systems have been the focus, though arguably WMs were already in a significant content drought since long before 2004. We have seen some nice quality-of-life polish and a few unique guild systems, like support for familiar alterations and the summoning systems others have already mentioned. At this point we have one of the best-developed guild skill (even compared to legacy guildskills like Empathy). Clerics have a lot going for them, but their Theurgy skill is a gong show in comparison.

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.

They're proud of them."
-Raesh
Re: Development? 01/03/2017 04:21 PM CST

>>Clerics have a lot going for them, but their Theurgy skill is a gong show in comparison.

Pretty much this. Theurgy is a disaster. However Clerics are very well fleshed out and have a formidable arsenal of spells at their disposal. They have the most well rounded spell books of any guild. Dispels that work on cyclics, multi hit aoe-tm, one of the best single target tm spells in the game that follows a target if it runs away (ae), a spirit killing spell, and buffs to almost every stat which can all be run simultaneously. Also the QOL of not having to recast your primary buffs thanks to the orb. It would be a hard sell to say that cleric isnt the best magic prime guild if you were to compare them.

That being said, I agree that summoning is far better fleshed out than Theurgy and it feels like a real skill that can have applicable value rather than just something you have to train cause the guildleader says you need it.
Re: Development? 01/08/2017 01:40 AM CST
Welcome back. There are WM teaching nights occasionally, you may want to attend one.

Also, with the new gweth system there is a guild only channel. You can get help in game by asking questions there. To turn it on, ESP LISTEN GUILD. Then, ESP SEND GUILD.

Then, think <message>, as usual.

Binu
Re: Development? 03/11/2017 06:45 PM CST
Yeah, this guild seems to have bitten the dust. RIP warmages, the realms never needed ya.
Re: Development? 03/11/2017 08:05 PM CST

<Yeah, this guild seems to have bitten the dust. RIP warmages, the realms never needed ya.

Bite your tongue. Game can always use crash test dummies.
Re: Development? 03/11/2017 10:28 PM CST
Your right, my bad... but whose to say the warmages aren't what cause the crashes at this point? Think on that.
Re: Development? 03/12/2017 06:37 PM CDT
I don't think anyone has ever doubted how often we cause crashes. We post logs.

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.

They're proud of them."
-Raesh
Reinforced Inclusions 03/16/2017 09:03 PM CDT
Kind of a crosspost from some information just learned from another thread.

>Person: If a warrior mage summons a weapon with this material then will that weapon work against these constructs?

>GM Lyn: No, you need an actual weapon made from these materials. This may or may not change in the future.

So, just to get this straight, the spell doesn't adopt and reflect the very rare metal ingots but rather it just gives the possibility of capping out certain attributes? The person asking the question was referencing the new metal created for killing construct-based critters in some new area that's being released. If this is the case, I find the 'utility' behind this spell to be watered down. Magically enhanced/created weapons shouldn't ever be more efficient than forged weapons, however, I think it would make sense for them to reflect the attributes and properties of consumed metals.
Re: Reinforced Inclusions 03/16/2017 09:41 PM CDT

>>Magically enhanced/created weapons shouldn't ever be more efficient than forged weapons,

Disagree.... if you are using a rare material as a focus which can be expended, they should very much be as powerful if not more powerful since they are finite.

>>however, I think it would make sense for them to reflect the attributes and properties of consumed metals.

Agree 100%
Re: Reinforced Inclusions 03/20/2017 03:48 PM CDT
Wanted to throw my opinion in on this:

I think that the haledroth shards / future rare metals should create elemental weapons that can hit the creatures that require special metals. It gives more utility to elemental weapons, and since the templates can't be fine tuned like forged stuff, still leaves a place for using metal weapons for some applications.
Re: Reinforced Inclusions 03/20/2017 03:51 PM CDT

Agreed, and it's also a penalty to the mage. Swapping between weapons will devalue the quality of the metal which will eventually need to be fluxed until it has to be replaced.
Re: Reinforced Inclusions 03/23/2017 11:40 AM CDT
>>So, just to get this straight, the spell doesn't adopt and reflect the very rare metal ingots but rather it just gives the possibility of capping out certain attributes?

IIRC, the check is if the ingot is a rare material, not what rare material.

That's also why you can use a rare/quest/etc metal that stinks as a weapon effectively (I believe animite can create a summoned weapon that is nothing like an animite weapon's stats, for example).

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Reinforced Inclusions 05/20/2017 01:07 PM CDT

It does not solely apply to us but has there been any movement on the barrier rewrite/preview front?

Also If a GM watches this board and feels like altering my owl I would not complain.